grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

So I saw this movie.

And it be-LOWS.

Ok, it doesn't completely suck. As a standalone action movie, it's pretty decent. The acting is quite solid, the action is kick-ass and it even has some well written, funny humor spread throughout. It's a total rip-off of the 1st two films, but again, it works where it needs to work.

However, this isn't a random standalone action film. It's a sequel to Terminator 1 and 2. And as such, it makes some of the dumbest choices I have seen in a movie in a very long time.

I dunno who's to blame for this - Miller, Cameron or both - but yeah, this didn't work. Miller's proposed premise of humanity losing to Legion would have been a lot better.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

On 11/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, Jay Beezy said:

It's just unfortunate that he wasn't receptive to a 180 spin on the Terminator formula. I guess if Avatar is any indication, James Cameron is not into original storytelling these days.

10 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I dunno who's to blame for this - Miller, Cameron or both - but yeah, this didn't work. Miller's proposed premise of humanity losing to Legion would have been a lot better.

While I agree that TDF is too similar to the first 2 movies, original doesn't mean better. It's one thing to change the formula, but building a story that works dramatically is another, and Cameron has a little bit more experience than Miller in that department. I listened to a Q & A  with Miller and Cameron and one thing stuck out to me around the 26min mark.

Spoiler

Basically Tim Miller admitting he sometimes had nothing to bring to the table. I like his honesty and candidness, but it sounds like he just didn't work hard enough to sell his concept.

I guess if Avatar is any indication, James Cameron is not into original storytelling these days.

The last sequel Cameron made was T2, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in 2011-13 the Pound was as low as AUD1.50 to the GBP for a few years plus Amazon UK had free shipping to Australia from the UK.  During this time I mostly sourced Blu Rays from the UK as it was almost half the cost of buying them in Australia.  In 2011 I purchased both seasons of the Sarah Connor Chronicles for just under AUD30.  Before watching it my brother borrowed the first season to watch.  He in turn lent it to one of his friends.  When it eventually found it's way back to me Disc 1 was missing and was never located.  I don't lend Blu Rays anymore.

Time jump to early 2019 and I finally got around to purchasing the missing 3 episodes on iTunes (which actually cost the same as buying the whole season on Blu Ray and having it shipped from the UK to Australia).  So I started my first re-watch since it aired and this week I finished all of the episodes.

It held up quite well.  I definitely consider it superior to all of the film attempts at a Terminator movie since T2.  Especially considering they had to work with a TV budget and the first season was heavily impacted by the writers strike. 

With Josh Friedman's involvement in Dark Fate a number of the ideas explored more deeply in the show actually showed up in the movie.

Disappointing we never got a proper conclusion given the cliff hanger ending.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alexdube said:

While I agree that TDF is too similar to the first 2 movies, original doesn't mean better. It's one thing to change the formula, but building a story that works dramatically is another, and Cameron has a little bit more experience than Miller in that department. I listened to a Q & A  with Miller and Cameron and one thing stuck out to me around the 26min mark.

Reveal hidden contents

Basically Tim Miller admitting he sometimes had nothing to bring to the table. I like his honesty and candidness, but it sounds like he just didn't work hard enough to sell his concept.

The last sequel Cameron made was T2, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt for now.

It'd be one thing if James Cameron shot down a 180 spin after exploring the possibilities himself and feeling like it didn't work, but I don't get that sense. On the other hand, I'll agree that it seems like Tim Miller didn't really sell the possibilities to Cameron on that front.

10 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

It'd be one thing if James Cameron shot down a 180 spin after exploring the possibilities himself and feeling like it didn't work, but I don't get that sense. On the other hand, I'll agree that it seems like Tim Miller didn't really sell the possibilities to Cameron on that front.

The first 5 minute of TDF will tell you Cameron is not afraid to take bold decisions. I think the only conclusion we can draw from little information we have is simply that he didn't like the idea, not that "he's not into original storytelling".

27 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

The first 5 minute of TDF will tell you Cameron is not afraid to take bold decisions. I think the only conclusion we can draw from little information we have is simply that he didn't like the idea, not that "he's not into original storytelling".

What's wrong with applying that bold approach throughout most of the film instead of just the first five minutes, which is only a prologue to set up a story that is ultimately too familiar?

The problem with James Cameron here is that he has previously insisted that T2 was the end for him. So there's a sense that he came back not because he legitimately had a great idea, but because he was tired of the Terminator franchise getting tainted by lackluster sequels.

And you suggest that because Cameron shot down the idea of a 180 spin on the formula, it was a bad idea. How about a reason why a 180 spin is a bad idea that isn't because James Cameron said so? Is Tim Miller wrong to say that setting up the movie with humanity losing sets up what's at stake for humanity?

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

What's wrong with applying that bold approach throughout most of the film instead of just the first five minutes, which is only a prologue to set up a story that is ultimately too familiar?

Nothing. That was to illustrate that Cameron can take risks if he feels the idea is right. He wasn't responsible to write the entire script either.

The problem with James Cameron here is that he has previously insisted that T2 was the end for him. So there's a sense that he came back not because he legitimately had a great idea, but because he was tired of the Terminator franchise getting tainted by lackluster sequels.

He got interested in the franchise again because he thought it could still be relevant if they centered it around the theme of AI. One of his ideas was to ask: "what if the Terminator completes his mission and then has to wander around for years without purpose?". But listen, the movie didn't come from him, it was Miller and David Ellison who decided to bring him in. So yeah he probably didn't comeback because he had some genius idea, more to be an adviser. Is that a problem though?

And you suggest that because Cameron shot down the idea of a 180 spin on the formula, it was a bad idea. How about a reason why a 180 spin is a bad idea that isn't because James Cameron said so? Is Tim Miller wrong to say that setting up the movie with humanity losing sets up what's at stake for humanity?

You're completely misrepresenting what I said earlier here. I didn't say it was a bad idea, I said Cameron might have not liked it. And I said it may or may not have been because Miller did not sold it well enough. I also said original doesn't mean better, having an idea is great but you have to know how to make it work. I'm not here to argue whether that spin on the formula was a good idea or not, it might have been great if done right, I don't know. I just disagree with your assumption that Cameron is "not into original storytelling," 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 8:51 AM, Juby said:

Well, my prediction wasn't that ridiculous after all. :(

There's no previews in Poland. I will see it on November 8th. For now:

The Terminator 10/10

T2 10/10

Rise of the Machines 7+/10

Salvation 5/10

Genisys 3/10

Well, my prediction was freaking great! :D

Dark Fate 2/10 - the worst Terminator yet.

Edited by Juby

Linda Hamilton "Would Be Quite Happy to Never Return" to 'Terminator'

No. Something says to me… I don't know. I would really appreciate maybe a smaller version, where so many millions are not at stake. Today's audience is just so unpredictable. I can't tell you how many laymen just go, "Well, people don't go to the movies anymore." That's not Hollywood analysis; that just comes out of almost everybody's mouth. It should definitely not be such a high-risk financial venture, but I would be quite happy to never return. So no, I am not hopeful, because I would really love to be done. But if there were something new that really spoke to me, I am a logical person, and I will always consider viable changes.

Perhaps the death knell for the franchise...

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

good, Dark Fate made Genisys look like a masterpiece. Everyone involved should be embarrassed. 

Ridiculous. While Dark Fate might have been creatively bankrupt, it was a much better made movie than Genisys.

Genisys had a better lead and more importantly a better dynamic for the main cast, while Dark Fate looks more like a real Terminator movie. The problem they share is a nonsensical and convoluted plot, and maybe there is no way to solve this problem for a sequel set after T2.