grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/

EXCLUSIVE: He’ll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinema’s great science fiction tales.

• Like 3

i think we've all learned through the years that "killer robot goes back in time to fuck someone up" is not a six movie franchise. do it one time. maybe do it a second time to flip the premise a bit. that's everything you're gonna get out of it.

48 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think we've all learned through the years that "killer robot goes back in time to fuck someone up" is not a six movie franchise. do it one time. maybe do it a second time to flip the premise a bit. that's everything you're gonna get out of it.

That's being short sighted. Salvation had the right idea, just the execution was lacking.

45 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

This won't do much better than the last couple of Terminator movies, will it?

Visionary as a title for Tim Miller always makes me laugh though.

Tim Miller is more of a visionary than Alan Taylor. At least someone who can bring something to the table.

Edited by Jay Beezy

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

By "to shepherd project", you mean "come do an interview and say a few nice words."

Seriously, it felt like every post-T2 thing was trying to sell its legitimacy by saying they got the approval or blessing of James Cameron.

What else can you do with Terminator now?  It's damaged goods at this point.  The only thing I would say is a new movie directed or co-written and produced by Cameron.  But the guy already has a full plate.  When would he do this film?

Edited by UTJeff
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Seriously, it felt like every post-T2 thing was trying to sell its legitimacy by saying they got the approval or blessing of James Cameron.

What else can you do with Terminator now?  It's damaged goods at this point.  The only thing I would say is a new movie directed or co-written and produced by Cameron.  But the guy already has a full plate.  When would he do this film?

It's called "marketing". Cameron is a big name and not just Terminator franchise tried to use his name to promote. Hugo, Life of Pi, Gravity, to name just a few.

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

It's called "marketing". Cameron is a big name and not just Terminator franchise tried to use his name to promote. Hugo, Life of Pi, Gravity, to name just a few.

Failed marketing in every case involving Terminator post-T2.

Edited by UTJeff

1 hour ago, UTJeff said:

Exactly.  This is both surprising and unsurprising news, considering Cameron is also letting Battle Angel be directed by he-who-shall-not-be-named.  The only way this has any potential for greatness is if Cameron is directing.

• Like 1

Genisys made $440M worldwide, which proves that the franchise is still viable enough, with Arnold involved, but only if the budget is at a reasonable level. 

T3 and Salvation reportedly cost $200M, Genisys was around $150M. I think they should aim for $100M. 

if Cameron is involved in a somewhat creative capacity and not only as a spokesperson and Arnold as well (not necessarily in a lead role) this could do well, if they come up with a new and fresh take on the story and not re-hash the same plot again.

Edited by John Marston