James

Pirates 5 biggest OS movie of the year

14 minutes ago, James said:

I get that. But I think you underestimate how much nostalgia was a factor when it came to TFA, especially OS. I don't see SW8 coming anywhere near 1b OS or even 900m. I think people should be happy with 700-750m which would be amazing in today's BO era. I also don't think the reception to TFA was that glowing. Add in the meh reception to RO when it comes to OS and the premise is not great. But we'll see. Either way, I doubt SW8 will defeat FF8 either way. The latter has the continuously expanding asian markets on it's side that could save it from a potential fall in other markets. SW8 is well established in Europe and will suffer drops there, some of them being huge (UK). And Asia will likely be half of what it was for TFA.

End of the day we're not too far off from each other in gross. I just think if RO can muster up 500, I think 8 is gonna split the difference at least. 800 -  900 is what I expect/hope. 700- 750 would be good but mildly disappointing. 

I fucking love the pirates franchise and I hope it does well and the movies great but I'm feeling more 500 - 600 OS.  Which would be great still.

You are right though, China LOVES Pirates, so maybe. Also Shanghai Disneyland opened a new pirates ride and its the best/most popular ride there. it looks amazing. Idk if you've seen it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, James said:

I get that. But I think you underestimate how much nostalgia was a factor when it came to TFA, especially OS. I don't see SW8 coming anywhere near 1b OS or even 900m. I think people should be happy with 700-750m which would be amazing in today's BO era. I also don't think the reception to TFA was that glowing. Add in the meh reception to RO when it comes to OS and the premise is not great. But we'll see. Either way, I doubt SW8 will defeat FF8 either way. The latter has the continuously expanding asian markets on it's side that could save it from a potential fall in other markets. SW8 is well established in Europe and will suffer drops there, some of them being huge (UK). And Asia will likely be half of what it was for TFA.

Nostalgia varies from case to case. In the case of Star Wars, there were initial promises of a new trilogy taking place after Episode VI that were finally coming to fruition. And with characters people wanted to see again. With Pirates, the fifth film is just another movie featuring a character and actor that people are growing weary of.

And saying this is the kind of blockbuster Chinese audiences go gaga for applies to almost anything. Including Marvel which is a certified China juggernaut now and has a movie opening near Pirates in the U.S. (not sure if China is releasing them as close as U.S. is). So dependent on when it's released there, it's likely the Marvel film could eat into its grosses.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Out. As a fan of the series and for Depp's sake, I want this to be a mega grosser.

I don't have a good hang on os projections, but thinking 500-550 os.

that's a huge number as is, but even more so with today's exchange rates.

Nah. F8 will definitely win the year OS. That thing is doing $1b+ overseas, mark my words. I could see Pirates making the top 5, though. Something like this:

F8: $1.05b

SW8: $900m

Guardians: $750m

BatB: $700m

Pirates: $650m

14 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Nah. F8 will definitely win the year OS. That thing is doing $1b+ overseas, mark my words. I could see Pirates making the top 5, though. Something like this:

F8: $1.05b

SW8: $900m

Guardians: $750m

BatB: $700m

Pirates: $650m

No Way guardians is making that much. Civil War grossed 745m and this aint coming close Avengers ensemble. Dont forget ER is way weaker than 1st GOTG release. So to make 750m it needs to more than double the 1st film and that aint happening.

Fast 8 also aint grossing that much. ER is against it plus F7 had Walker facter to it. I would say 800m and SW8 also will gross something similar. Transformers will probably gross 700m(with about half that number in china). Pirates around 600m and Guardians around 550m.