Water Bottle

WB's Top Films of 2016

On 26/01/2017 at 7:52 PM, Water Bottle said:

full.1500.jpg

Drone usage is pretty controversial and the debate is ongoing today which makes Eye in the Sky, a question that basically debates whether or not to undertake a drone strike, particularly relevant. It's intense, brings up great points from all sides, and compelling. I can only assume it's lack of awards and recognition is because it came out in April rather than November/December.

Which kind of makes the awarded films a bit of a joke, in a way.  Films from all parts of the year should be considered, not just ones that come out around Christmas.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Edge-of-Seventeen-Movie-Download-2016-To

One of the things we learn as we grow up and mature is to stop looking at just ourselves and our own problems and start having compassion for other people. That's exactly what this amazing coming-of-age tale is about: an outsider learning that hey she's not the only one with problems. It's amazingly executed, it's funny, and it's compelling.

• Like 8

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Which kind of makes the awarded films a bit of a joke, in a way.  Films from all parts of the year should be considered, not just ones that come out around Christmas.

IMO they should have rereleased Eye in the Sky in November in Los Angeles/NYC just to remind awards people it exists.

• Like 2

That's a good idea but the best of the best shouldn't have to tell people that they are, Hollywood should just know it.

They should keep track of every film they see and rank them at the end of the year.  That way, films from all months have a chance.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, baumer said:

That's a good idea but the best of the best shouldn't have to tell people that they are, Hollywood should just know it.

They should keep track of every film they see and rank them at the end of the year.  That way, films from all months have a chance.

Maybe they should but eh, Hollywood people are really busy too making movies we enjoy. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Maybe they should but eh, Hollywood people are really busy too making movies we enjoy. :)

And that's fine.  And that also brings up an entirely different topic.  I think the system is broken and it needs a lot more than a band aid.

• Community Manager

maxresdefault.jpg

You know a movie is good when you watch it, a five-year old keeps asking her dad questions of what's happening, and you are still swept up in the magic of it. Like I said, this has been a banner year of boy adventure movies and Pete's Dragon is one of them. Fantastic on every level, Pete's Dragon is a new Disney classic that all should watch.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

maxresdefault.jpg

You know a movie is good when you watch it, a five-year old keeps asking her dad questions of what's happening, and you are still swept up in the magic of it. Like I said, this has been a banner year of boy adventure movies and Pete's Dragon is one of them. Fantastic on every level, Pete's Dragon is a new Disney classic that all should watch.

I can get on board with this assessment. Gutting that its probably going to go down as the forgotton Disney live action remake ten years from now. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 10:57 AM, baumer said:

And that's fine.  And that also brings up an entirely different topic.  I think the system is broken and it needs a lot more than a band aid.

The system is only broken if you think the goal is to reward whatever the ""best" film is. The Oscars are basically a glorified industry convention. 

• Like 3

On 1/30/2017 at 2:07 PM, chasmmi said:

I can get on board with this assessment. Gutting that its probably going to go down as the forgotton Disney live action remake ten years from now. 

I already forgot about it on my BOFFY list ... whoops.

• Community Manager

hqdefault.jpg

Lion is really fantastic when it's (and I hate to sound like a broken record) a fascinating adventure of a boy who gets lost and tries to find his way home. The movie sort-of loses momentum when he grows up into an adult but

the emotional gut punch that is the bitterweet resolution more than makes up for it.

Lion is really good.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Telemachos said:

The system is only broken if you think the goal is to reward whatever the ""best" film is. The Oscars are basically a glorified industry convention. 

Come on buddy, you're preaching to the choir here.  Oscars are bought.  The amount of money spent on a campaign is insane.  And yes, I do think there should be an award for best film and I also think it should be as far away from a business as possible.  

Why can't members of the academy watch a film or see a performance, keep track of what they see and how they feel about it at the time, and then at the end of the year, go through it all and come up with what they think are truly the best films and so on?

Naive on my part?  If it is, then the system is broke and the Oscars mean nothing.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

zootopiaposter1-1.jpg

I knew this was amazing when in the middle of a fight, the fox character goes "Now there's a them." At that point, I knew I wasn't just watching a kid's movie that happened to have social commentary but rather a smart film that understood the social commentary it was making very well. Yes, the movie is about racism and bigotry and how even the best of us can have prejudices. That it happens to also function as a homage to many detective/crime movies only continues to prove that this world is Disney's and we're all just living in it.

(Also it's the only 2016 animated movie I've seen.)

• Like 8

• Community Manager

a-monster-calls-2016-trailers-posters.jp

I guess you can count this as the last movie on this list about a boy having an adventure, albeit a different kind, but A Monster Calls is a hauntingly beautiful movie that explores the wide range of emotions of accepting something bad in your life. It's very well done with near-perfect acting even from the kid, strong production values, and great pacing. It's easy just to lose yourself in the movie to the point that by the end, it'll be devastating.

• Like 7

• Community Manager

Hacksaw-Ridge-790x445.jpg

First it's funny, then it's violent, then it's powerful. Hacksaw Ridge is a fantastic film done masterfully on a limited budget. It's probably a film only Mel Gibson could direct: I can't see anyone else directing this like he did and having the impact land so well. It's a strong story about faith, sticking up to your principles, and serving your country. Some could say that's a lesson that a lot of people need right now but beyond that, Hacksaw Ridge is a must-see simply because it stands strong on it's own filmmaking merits.

• Like 6

• Community Manager

manchester-by-the-sea.png

I don't know how many of you have seen it but Manchester by the Sea is truly without a doubt the best movie of the year for me. Powerful, funny, with amazing acting and great directing. Casey Affleck did a really great job and I hope the Academy recognizes him for that despite his personal flaws as a human being. There's very little wrong with this movie and while the ending isn't a typical Hollywood ending, it feels more real because of it.

• Like 6

• Community Manager

The complete list:

1. Manchester in the Sea

2. Hacksaw Ridge

3. A Monster Calls

4. Zootopia

5. Lion

6. Pete's Dragon

7. The Edge of Seventeen

8. Eye in the Sky

9. Elle

10. Moonlight

11. Nocturnal Animals

12. 10 Cloverfield Lane

13. Star Trek Beyond

14. 20th Century Women

15. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

16. Hell or High Water

17. Fences

18. Midnight Special

19. Sully

20. The Nice Guys

21. Hidden Figures

22. Ghostbusters

23. Captain America: Civil War

24. The Wave

25. The Jungle Book

• Like 4

Manchester by the Sea is a movie I like more the more I think about it.

It probably sits squarely somewhere around number 8-6 now (interchangeable with Moonlight, Zootopia) for me, and it started at #19 on my list.

• Like 1