TalismanRing

Gifted | Marc Webb | April 7, 2016

Just now, filmlover said:

This is a cute movie.

It really is quite charming and the acting was pretty great.   And I promised I would spam this topic if it grew some some legs and it has - so voila.  I can't see it doing less than $20m if Deadline's Friday number is accurate.

lrmonline.com/news/gifted-marc-webb-on-directing-smaller-family-drama-after-amazing-spider-man

Gifted: Marc Webb On Directing Smaller Family Drama After Amazing Spider-Man
Apr.4.17
by Edward Douglas

[Excerpt]

Marc Webb:  He also played the first part of the movie with a kind of sarcastic look, which was covering for emotional damage, which is a subtlety in his performance that was great. He's an all-American guy, but I think that he has an emotional capacity that is kind of rare actually and a sensitivity that’s kind of rare in a male lead. I really love that kinda stuff, and he is a really fantastic collaborator on the set.

LRM: I think people would really be surprised how good he is with kids, even though we've seen him do the charity stuff for Make-A-Wish. We know he can interact with kids but doing if for a while movie...not every actor can do that. Not every actor can play a role where someone like Mckenna comes along and pretty much steals ever scene.

Marc Webb: He also was just incredibly patient. Mckenna is great, she's a pro. She's such a good actor, but when you're working with a kid, you have a really limited schedule. You have to get them out in six hours, sometimes eight hours. We'll have to do all of her coverage first, and then flip around to Chris sometimes acting without her. You have very necessary obligations to protect the child actors, because they’re kids, and they need to have sleep and regular meals and recess and school and all these other things. He was so great with that. It's not something that I think people should think about when they're watching the movie, but it's an impressive technical trait how good Chris is and how reliable he is that he can work in that kind of environment without batting an eye. It made the whole movie really fun. There was just no tension, there were no arguments. Everybody felt really...He was a great leader on set. We were all in Savannah, and on the weekend, we’ll all go play games at his place. He's just a man’s man, but really fun and incredibly smart. I think that's another thing he appreciated about the script is he’s an intellect, and he's impressive in that way, and he has something to say, and I think that he related to that part of Frank as well.

LRM: I feel that you can tell from watching this movie that it was a relaxed set. For some reason, whenever I see a movie that just works really well, and I talk to people who worked on the movie, they talk about how they all got along and there wasn’t the type of tension you expect on a movie set.

Marc Webb: It gives you permission to play, and when you feel safe and you feel like you're having fun, you can try out different things, and that yields a kind of general charisma for the movie. It's just fun to be around. Not all movies are that way. I don't think The Revenant was like a fun movie to make, and that had a different kind of power and a different kind of focus and engagement. I think you want to hang out with this guy and you want to hang out with Bonnie, played by Jennie Slate. You want to hang out with the cast. There’s a social component to a movie, and you want that relaxed swagger, particularly in Frank and Mary and I think you get that.

• Like 1