TalismanRing

Gifted | Marc Webb | April 7, 2016

23 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Agreed, the plot is pretty straightforward but the acting is wonderful.  It's also the increasingly rare movie that made me laugh and tear up multiple times.

As for Evans well even hard bitten top of the line critics aren't immune to his charms in this movie B)

TIME: Chris Evans Wraps a Great Performance in Gifted

Stephanie Zacharek

That is something.  Zacharek doesn't like anything, lol.  But I do agree.  

• Like 1

www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/for-the-love-of-god-please-never-go-watch-chris-evans-gifted.php

For the Love of God, Please Never Go Watch Chris Evans' 'Gifted'

Seen by enough people to be beloved, but not by so many people that it cultivates a backlash. Ultimately, these end up being films with the most staying power.
. . . .

The latest film in my estimation to fit into this category is Gifted, a sweet, modest, sensational little gem of a movie. Most people know it as “That movie where Chris Evans and Jenny Slate met,” but it’s more than that: It’s a heartwarming, lovely little thing that is ever so quietly adding $3 or $4 million a week at the box office based mostly on very quiet word of mouth (It’s made $12 million so far).

Gifted is marvelous, but not so marvelous that it would fetch Oscar nominations. Chris Evans is remarkable in this; he’s like a young Affleck without any of the baggage. It’s not his muscles on display here, it’s that voice. Man, that’s a voice. He should be making a lot more films where he has more than 15 lines of dialogue. And while Jenny Slate is fine in it, too, it’s the child actress Mckenna Grace who steals every single scene she is in. She plays an adorable 7-year-old math prodigy going through a heartbreaking custody battle between her uncle (Evans) and grandmother (Lindsay Duncan).

I don’t want to say any more than that, because honestly, I don’t want any of you to see it. Because if you do, you might have opinions and I don’t want your goddamn opinions taking anything away from what was a perfect moviegoing experience: I went in with little expectation, left pleasantly surprised and with a warm heart, and I drove home and woke up my kids to hug them. That’s a good night, and the best thing about it is, I’ll never have to defend my love for Gifted, because very few of you are ever going to see it. Let’s keep it that way.

:lol:
  • Like 4

Amusing, but nah, movies people like but aren't big enough to cause a backlash tend to just be forgotten. It's great if you just want it to have it be your personal thing, but you won't be able to have it both ways.

Edited by tribefan695

So while looking for a movie to watch this weekend, it was my boyfriend who suggested Gifted. He knows I'm stressing out about school right now, so on top of being out and about away from school work for a bit, his words were "hopefully ~2 hours of ogling Chris Evans can also help you relieve some of that stress". 

Bless his heart. We're seeing it tomorrow.

I know little about the movie except through some gifs of Chris and the little girl doing press tour. She's one adorable child. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

Is it a flop? I thought it cost next to nothing.

I'm going to see it, maybe tomorrow.

It did - it cost $7m, with limited marketing mostly dependent on actors dong a lot of press and WOM.  It's a nice success for Fox Searchlight and will be their highest grosser since Brooklyn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Amusing, but nah, movies people like but aren't big enough to cause a backlash tend to just be forgotten. It's great if you just want it to have it be your personal thing, but you won't be able to have it both ways.

I never let backlash get in the way of my enjoyment for a movie so I'd rather a film I like be as successful as possible but I thought Dustin's stance was funny because the opinions of others can sour a movie for some.

But backlash isn't reserved for big films.  The Artist and Birdman made in the mid 40s domestic so they weren't exactly big but backlash there was.  Even Hurt Locker and it did $17m.  But then winning a Best Pic Oscar trumps any box office when it comes to backlash. Even being nominated can be enough to earn a target.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Captain H said:

$30 million should be possible for this, but $25 million seemed to be more realistic. Did this have OS release?

So far I think only Singapore a week ago and Malaysia this last w/e.  BOM has the Foreign total at $558,372 which if it's just from those two territories is pretty good for a drama.

Scheduled so far: Philippines, Hong Kong, Kuwait, UK, Australia, Mexico, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Chile, Peru, Hungary

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain H said:

$30 million should be possible for this, but $25 million seemed to be more realistic. Did this have OS release?

It was hard to find when I went to see it. It wasn't at any of my first choice theaters.  That can't help.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/highest-grossing-indie-films-2017-1201764229/

The 20 Highest Grossing Indies of 2017 (A Running List)

Refreshed weekly, here's a chart of 2017's twenty highest-grossing specialty films (so far).

1. “Gifted”
Distributor: Fox Searchlight
Release Date: April 7th
Opening Theater Count: 56
Opening Average: $7,791
Current Gross: $15,894,295

Previous years list - skewed toward non December/Award indies since B.O, tallies end Dec 31.  2016 / 2015

• Like 3

Nice little movie. 

Movies like these can often turn either too cheesy or heavy-handed. But this one was neither, it was pretty well-directed (a good welcome back to the smaller fare for Webb I think). Also well-acted and emotional as well. 

It was a nice way to spend my Sunday afternoon.

Glad to see the movie doing well for itself at the BO. 

Edited by Sam
  • Like 3

Saw this movie on Tuesday with a few older couples. Really nice little gem. All the actors were superb except the teacher/girlfriend. I especially like the charming little girl and Lindsay Duncan, powerful performance. Chris Evans always blends into roles well. He'd turn into a quite good character actor if not for the leading man look.

• Like 2