TalismanRing

Gifted | Marc Webb | April 7, 2016

On 5/5/2017 at 1:47 PM, Mursili said:

Saw this movie on Tuesday with a few older couples. Really nice little gem. All the actors were superb except the teacher/girlfriend. I especially like the charming little girl and Lindsay Duncan, powerful performance. Chris Evans always blends into roles well. He'd turn into a quite good character actor if not for the leading man look.

This movie deserved better marketing. When you think of all the money spent on awful movies...  Still, it will make money in its theatrical run, and everything it gets in the after market will be gravy.  And over time, people will watch this.  It's frustrating when good movies get so little attention, though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, trifle said:

This movie deserved better marketing. When you think of all the money spent on awful movies...  Still, it will make money in its theatrical run, and everything it gets in the after market will be gravy.  And over time, people will watch this.  It's frustrating when good movies get so little attention, though.

The marketing was good, the cast really went all out and FS extensively promoted it through their social media - it was just limited by $.   But that's how Specialty & Independent studios survive, especially if they also have several low profile misses like Wilson or pay too much for a Birth Of A Nation.

It is a bit dispiriting that something like Fist Fight gets a $36m+ TV ad spend - though with that kind of ad spend & budget that movie will be losing money.

In the end though, in the U.S. Gifted is going to gross theatrically around what Moonlight, Ex Machina & The Witch did.  Not too shabby in the current market.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

www.indiewire.com/2017/05/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-marvel-gifted-box-office-1201813298/

‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2’ Rules and ‘Gifted’ Crosses Over, But Summer Could Be Shaky

“Gifted” Keeps Giving

With two decades of success and three Oscar Best Picture winners, Fox Searchlight has always had the capacity to adapt to change. They were among the first companies to go beyond the standard two-city platforms for some of their releases, and haven’t been afraid to act like a more of crossover company while largely sticking to films that qualify as specialized in the broadest definition.

“Gifted” is their biggest success since their awards-enhanced run with “Brooklyn” over a year ago, and second biggest over the past two years. It may be the biggest specialized film of the year — if indeed, it can be called specialized. (Otherwise, the title goes to “The Zookeeper’s Wife” from Focus, which also went wider but was in the multi-hundred theater range from the start.)

What “Gifted” has accomplished is a result of smart decisions that show the value of key strategic moves.

Unlike most Searchlight releases, “Gifted” had no festival play. With mildly favorable reviews at best, it would have been vulnerable to an average upscale New York/Los Angeles platform opening.

Instead, its initial week had 56 theaters across multiple metropolitan areas, with an emphasis on suburbs and broader audiences. That made it sort of a preview week to boost word of mouth. The result showed interest in these wider-audience theaters as well as the usual Searchlight suspects.

Then they rapidly expanded to 1,146 screens the second week. That was the second smart choice. This placed it against the opening of “The Fate of the Furious” as well as Easter weekend. The counterprogramming worked, and the film placed at #6 position — high for its $3.1 million gross.

That sparked word of mouth, which now sustained a fifth week in the Top 10 (it actually went up a slot this week, though the gross fell). At over $19 million, it has a serious shot at $30 million, a decent figure for a film without high-end marketing costs and a likely healthy afterlife in other venues.

Is it a specialized film? Perhaps not. But it needed special handling and it got it.

• Like 7

Indiewire: The 20 Highest Grossing Indies of 2017 (A Running List)

Refreshed weekly, here's a chart of 2017's twenty highest-grossing specialty films (so far).

Please note: The below list only includes domestic (U.S. and Canada only, unless otherwise indicated) grosses for specialty films — indie, foreign (including Bollywood films that open in limited release) and/or documentary — that opened in limited release (599 screens and under) in 2017 and/or were acquired for 2017 distribution by an independent distributor or a studio (or its speciality division). It also includes films that screened only as an Academy-qualifier in 2016. Grosses include all reported grosses up to May 9, 2017. This chart is updated every Tuesday afternoon. (Last year’s list can be found here.)

1. “Gifted”
Distributor: Fox Searchlight
Release Date: April 7th
Opening Theater Count: 56
Opening Average: $7,791
Current Gross: $19,209,332

2. “Baahubali 2: The Conclusion”
Distributor: Great India Films
Release Date: April 28th
Opening Theater Count: 425
Opening Average: $24,364
Current Gross: $16,330,025

3. “The Zookeeper’s Wife”
Distributor: Focus Features
Release Date: March 31st
Opening Theater Count: 541
Opening Average: $6,079
Current Gross: $15,796,661

• Like 5

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=420873

Fox have just released "Gifted" on VOD in China (merely 20 days after its US theatrical release)

Posted by: Peterlee (a.k.a Peterlee (from past)) on May 09, 08:36

Source: a chinese website (via china film insider)

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/m8m6XAo_M7rGMu7mkgMR1w
http://chinafilminsider.com/

I needed Google translate to read this, so I hope I got this right.

My understanding is to combat piracy in China and because of the quota system that might not have allowed the film to be shown theatrically, Fox made a deal with Chinese VOD and released the film there 20 days after opening in the U.S.  It went to #1 on their VOD charts.  Fox has previously released X-Men Apocalypse there 60 days after the U.S release and 3 months before it was released in the US on Home media.

Of course this didn't combat piracy elsewhere since that rip with Chinese subtitles is all over Tumblr.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=420873

I needed Google translate to read this, so I hope I got this right.

My understanding is to combat piracy in China and because of the quota system that might not have allowed the film to be shown theatrically, Fox made a deal with Chinese VOD and released the film there 20 days after opening in the U.S.  It went to #1 on their VOD charts.  Fox has previously released X-Men Apocalypse there 60 days after the U.S release and 3 months before it was released in the US on Home media.

Of course this didn't combat piracy elsewhere since that rip with Chinese subtitles is all over Tumblr.

I don't know what else they expected, really. Maybe they figured the kind of audience who would download a Chinese subbed version of it is not the audience who would go watch it at the movies? I guess that's possible, right?

• Like 1

Really solid numbers for a drama in the Asian territories it's opened in.  That opening and hold in Taiwan makes me think they should have released it in China in theaters instead of VOD.  Then again China has those pesky quotas that make it difficult.

Country
(click to view weekend breakdown)
Dist. Release
Date
Opening
Wknd
% of
Total
Total Gross / As Of
FOREIGN TOTAL - 4/20/17 n/a - $1,606,463 5/9/17
space.gif
Hong Kong Fox 5/4/17 $223,014 100% $223,014 5/7/17