Gifted | Marc Webb | April 7, 2016

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $21,605,717    91.3%
Foreign:  $2,055,480    8.7%

Worldwide:  $23,661,197  

It played well on Mother's Day with Sunday flat from Saturday

May 12–14  11   $1,541,684   -23.8%  1,426   -448   $1,081    $21,605,717 6

I hoped it would do well over Mother's Day.  My family doesn't go to movies on Mother's Day, but if we did, that is the one I would go to with my mom.  In fact, I did, just not on Mother's Day! :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trifle said:

I hoped it would do well over Mother's Day.  My family doesn't go to movies on Mother's Day, but if we did, that is the one I would go to with my mom.  In fact, I did, just not on Mother's Day! :P

Did your Mom love it like ban1o's dad?  ;)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Did your Mom love it like ban1o's dad?  ;)

She really did! She works in special education - her specialty is gifted and highly gifted - so I kind of worried that she might find it professionally lacking, but she said she would have recommended the precise ending

Spoiler

with the little girl in a college class for specifically the area where she was a prodigy but in an age appropriate class for all else, for social reasons.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sam said:

So what's the projected final total dom? I imagine there won't be enough gas for $25 but it might be close? 

I think it has a decent chance.  The Zookeeper's Wife just made another $3.3m off a $1.4m w/e and will probably do another $1m.     But we're also coming to a busy time of year when films will start shedding theaters.  Right now it's probably just playing on avg 2-3 showings a day a theater - if that and it a lot of smaller venues so it's steady PTA might be enough to hold them or it might get other smaller venues. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Evans is great in this, but very disappointing movie. TASM movies must've sucked out Webb's creativity because wow, all of his interesting choices in (500) Days of Summer are nowhere to be found here except for like one scene

• Community Manager
23 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

A 25 million total for this is AMAZING.  However, I think they might have gotten a little more out of it if somehow they were able to relate it to Hidden Figures in the marketing.  Is there any chance this makes more than Hidden Figures overseas?

Very extremely unlikely.

I think any attempt at tying this to Hidden Figures would have been a big mistake and backfired huge.

8 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

A 25 million total for this is AMAZING.  However, I think they might have gotten a little more out of it if somehow they were able to relate it to Hidden Figures in the marketing.  Is there any chance this makes more than Hidden Figures overseas?

O/S - not a chance.  It would be lucky to do a third. Hidden Figures did $60m.

I don't think Fox (or WB who is releasing it for them in some territories) is going to give it that kind of financial/marketing support and it doesn't have the Award push Hidden Figures or other successful US dramas had O/S.  China might have helped a bit if it had been released there theatrically.   It's at 10m streams on that official Chinese VOD site and if Hong Kong is any kind of indicator for theatrical success in China - it's been in the top 10 there for 4 weeks now (even with the pirating from the China stream).

It's a great win for Fox Searchlight though I think it's going to take a while to get to $25m Dom.  That last $1m is always the hardest as theaters are shed.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $23,813,507    89.0%
Foreign:  $2,932,810    11.0%

Worldwide:  $26,746,317  

On $7 million budget?  Great.  I think it will do well in the aftermarket.