FilmBuff

Oscars Live Stream

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah Larson will be standing there dreading that she might have to read Casey Affleck's name/hoping that it's Denzel instead and she won't have to force herself to smile.

Why? Casey Affleck was great in Manchester by the Sea...

i think it's also because brie larson has been very involved in charity work and the like with sexual assault survivors that she's surely not gonna be happy with giving casey the oscar because whether you want it to be just about the art or not (spoiler it isn't) folks are gonna see that as an implicit endorsement that the behavior is OK. She hasn't said anything about it publicly but she's liked tweets that talked shit about affleck so her feelings are pretty clear.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Leo will be presenting Best Actress while Brie will be presenting Best Actor. Gotta uphold that Oscars tradition.

Yeah, it would be nice in the sense of passing the torch, but I can see how it could get awkward if someone wins back to back and had to present to themselves.:P

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think it's also because brie larson has been very involved in charity work and the like with sexual assault survivors that she's surely not gonna be happy with giving casey the oscar because whether you want it to be just about the art or not (spoiler it isn't) folks are gonna see that as an implicit endorsement that the behavior is OK. She hasn't said anything about it publicly but she's liked tweets that talked shit about affleck so her feelings are pretty clear.

Not to mention she herself won for playing a sexual abuse survivor. I do think it should be about the art but she's got every right to not be happy about this. Though if she really didn't want to be the one to hand Affleck the statue she had plenty of time to approach the organizers or whoever about it and talk to them about arranging something different this year I dunno. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Not to mention she herself won for playing a sexual abuse survivor. I do think it should be about the art but she's got every right to not be happy about this. Though if she really didn't want to be the one to hand Affleck the statue she had plenty of time to approach the organizers or whoever about it and talk to them about arranging something different this year I dunno. 

She likely didn't do that because it would look really bad on her part to break tradition. She'll just suck it up and if she has to give Affleck the award she'll fake her way through it. Luckily she's a really good actress to begin with.

Edited by filmlover

yeah even though she's an oscar winner she's still pretty unknown and doesn't have any industry power so a lot of young actors just do what they're told and don't rock the boat in any way cos they might be worried it'll effect their careers. if someone like Jlaw cared about that sort of thing (i'm guessing she wouldn't anyway because 3 DOR movies and counting) she would probably pull the strings to get it switched around.

• Like 1

My predicts:

Picture: La La Land (Alt: Moonlight)

Director: Damien Chazelle, La La Land (Alt: Barry Jenkins, Moonlight)

Actor: Denzel Washington, Fences (Alt: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea)

Actress: Emma Stone, La La Land (Alt: Isabelle Huppert, Elle)

Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight (Alt: Dev Patel, Lion)

Supporting Actress: Viola Davis, Fences (Alt: Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea)

Original Screenplay: La La Land (Alt: Manchester by the Sea)

Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight (Alt: Arrival)

Film Editing: La La Land (Alt: Arrival)

Cinematography: La La Land (Alt: Arrival)

Production Design: La La Land (Alt: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)

Costume Design: Jackie (Alt: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)

Makeup: Star Trek Beyond (Alt: Suicide Squad)

Visual Effects: The Jungle Book (Alt: Doctor Strange)

Sound Mixing: La La Land (Alt: Hacksaw Ridge)

Sound Editing: La La Land (Alt: Hacksaw Ridge)

Original Score: Justin Hurwitz, La La Land (Alt: Nicholas Brittel, Moonlight)

Original Song: "City of Stars," La La Land (Alt: "Audition," La La Land)

Animated Feature: Zootopia (Alt: Kubo and the Two Strings)

Foreign Language Film: The Salesman (Alt: Toni Erdmann)

Documentary Feature: O.J.: Made in America (Alt: 13th)

Documentary Short: The White Helmets (Alt: Extremis)

Animated Short: Piper (Alt: Borrowed Time)

Live Action Short: Ennemis Inteieurs (Alt: Timecode)

Win counts:

11: La La Land

2: Fences, Moonlight

1: Ennemis Inteieurs, Jackie, The Jungle Book, O.J.: Made in America, Piper, The Salesman, Star Trek Beyond, The White Helmets, Zootopia