kayumanggi

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | 7th May, 2021 | Disney | Scott Derrickson Drops Out; Return of the King (Raimi)?

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

My money's on either Travis Knight or Jennifer Kent. Marvel's looked at both for stuff before.

I am pretty sure Jennifer Kent wouldn't want to make a film like this. 

2 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Ant Man 2? Cap Marvel? 

Ant Man 2 and Captain Marvel are the only good films in phase 3...

(other than Avengers finale)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Ant Man 2 and Captain Marvel are the only good films in phase 3...

(other than Avengers finale)

tenor.gif

41 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Antman 2 is one of the best films of phase 3 I prefer it to infinity war

Zelig?

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I am pretty sure Jennifer Kent wouldn't want to make a film like this. 

maybe travis knight ? 

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

Most of these movies are written by marvels internal team and implemented by generic directors.

Others, like GotG are written and directed by auteurs.

Another brilliant dumbass nugget from AndyK. 🙄

Fiege will probably get a greta director for this and film will probably be great too. That being said I wonder who's free.

Apparently Alex garland is a fan of dr strange? Travis knight seems to be free and bumblebee and he seems the type fiege would be interested in. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Well, he's the boss.  We've also had reports that he gives his directors a lot of freedom.  It really depends on if they're on the same page.

3 partings before production in 25+ films - not exactly an epidemic.  The Flash and Nathan Drake alone have  gone through more than that.

If you want an example of what happens when a producer does not keep writers and directors for connected films on the same page, I give you what happened with Star Wars when Katheleen Kennedy failed to do that.

I notice an interesting thing about commetns on Derrickson leaving . The big fans of the Dr Strange comics (I am one;he is one of my favorite Marvel charecters) are not upset by this since they feel that, though Dr Strange was not a bad film, Derrickson came nowhere near realizing the chatecters potential;those who are not seem to like the film better.

And IMHO, the closer they stick to the Ditko run , the better. Ditko is most famous, of course, for Spiderman, but I think some the stuff he came up with for Dr Strange might his most daring work visually.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Ha. You certainly took a different stance in the Birds of Prey thread yesterday. 

The hypocrisy. 

Note to MCU fans and DCEU fans:

A lot of the time, you are both awful.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

From strongest to weakest:

Black Panther > Guardians V2 > Ragnarok > Infinity War > Endgame > Ant Man 2 > Doctor Strange >>> Captain Marvel = FFH = Homecoming >>> Civil War

Personally, the MCU films have been much better when it’s more of the director’s film than Feige’s.

Ah, the Auteur theory again.

Problem with the Auteur theory is it's insistence that ONLY the director can be the creative force behind a film, when there are plenty of examples of the producer being the real driving force. And some producer driven films have been pretty damn good.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, jking123 said:

Fiege will probably get a greta director for this and film will probably be great too. That being said I wonder who's free.

Greta Gerwig? She's free, killed wit with Lady Bird, and I don't know of any other Gretas...

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Greta Gerwig? She's free, killed wit with Lady Bird, and I don't know of any other Gretas...

smh meant great. Speaking of wb should switch greta and baumbach from Barbie to DC :)

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem with the Auteur theory is it's insistence that ONLY the director can be the creative force behind a film, when there are plenty of examples of the producer being the real driving force. And some producer driven films have been pretty damn good.

I wonder what subscribers to auteur theory think of Casablanca. Really the perfect counterpoint to that idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I wonder what subscribers to auteur theory think of Casablanca. Really the perfect counterpoint to that idea.

And of course, "Gone With The Wind" David O Selznick was the driving force.

In fact, with a few exceptions, in the big studio era the director job actually ended when the film was shot, the producer was totally in charge of post production. And lot of the films made that way have survived and are classics.

It is telling that most people who actually work in the film industry have a very skeptical attitude toward the auteur theory. Like I said, sounds great in a classroom in film school, does not work out that way in the real world.

• Like 1

Far be it from me to critique Marvel Studios and Feige based on their relatively historic success, but with a movie title like this one has, it can only really go one of two ways: It will either be a brilliant visionary endeavor that pushes forward the genre (unlikely, but anything's possible), or a schlocky Hammer-esque homage to classic technicolor nightmare/"horror" with wacky performances and bad scripting.  (I love Hammer Films...but they weren't known for their scripts.)

Thus...yeah, a director doesn't really matter.  I'm sure Feige's "vision" for this is all laid out.  The title tells you everything. 

Wouldn't be surprised to hear Travis Knight signed on in a matter of days (hours?). 

Not even a whisper of Chewitel Ejiofor returning, either...which is an immediate check against it, for me. 

It's kinda badass for a director to walk away from the MCU. It's such an easy job, and you guarantee a fresh certificate in your rotten tomatoes resumee. He could just take the money and do what Feige wants, but chose to stand up for artistic integrity. I actually never liked anything Scott Derrickson did, but now he has my respect. The first Doctor Strange was standard MCU movie, not terrible but not great either.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's kinda badass for a director to walk away from the MCU. It's such an easy job, and you guarantee a fresh certificate in your rotten tomatoes resumee. He could just take the money and do what Feige wants, but chose to stand up for artistic integrity. I actually never liked anything Scott Derrickson did, but now he has my respect. The first Doctor Strange was standard MCU movie, not terrible but not great either.

Maybe you should get over your hate of the MCU someday?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I know. I think everyone knows that a film is a team effort. I mean it’s obvious Feige has his fingerprints on all of the films, it’s been obvious since back in 2014 when they had films from 2028 planned, but for films like for example Black Panther, there’s obvious reason for seeing Coogler’s films, it seems obvious he had more of a presence. It felt a bit more unique to me than the other MCU films despite having a lot of the same elements, and a lot of other CBMs, which is why it’s one of my favorites CBMs and one of my favorite movies. 

I never said they were bad films or even that producer based films are bad, even Civil War which is like the worst of the Phase 3 films can be enjoyable, it just seems to me that the ones were it feels like the director had more of a presences tends to be the ones I like the most. I’m not saying the MCU is a cancer to the film industry, I’m just saying those tend to be the MCU movies I like the most.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1