kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Probabky more bearish on this than others. Wouldn't be shocked if this was the lowest grossing MCU film of 2021 (still think it'll be in the $800M-$900M range mind you).

$850m is just kind of hard to see for DS in a post-Endgame world. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The shows will work like how the solo films relate to the Avengers films I think. The shows will ultimately have an impact on the overall story of the MCU but I don't think they'll make it that viewers will be totally lost if they only saw the films. 

Great encapsulation imo

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Just cause Endgame was enormous doesn’t mean everything MCU is doing $1B

Probably not *everything.* But only the weaker 50-25% of movies might drop below for the next few years, and then maybe none.

Some interesting speculation from Charles Murphy (I stress, this is based on comics history and some vague clues — sometimes speculation on this sort of basis turns out to happen, sometimes it’s very wrong) that Namor might get introduced in this movie: https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/connecting-imaginary-dots-namor-might-finally-show-up-defending-the-earth-in-doctor-strange-into-the-multiverse-of-madness/   

Sounds cool to me, especially if they have bigger plans for him in other movies.

• Like 1

The only argument I could see being made for Strange having a big enough jump to reach a billion would be that both the Avengers films he was in (especially Infinity War where he has the most screentime of the two) establish him as an important "big gun" character in the MCU both in terms of power and him being put on the same league as Iron Man and the more established crew, introducing him to a lot of people who didn't see the first in theaters. But even then I think that'd get him to...what 800 million? 850?

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The only argument I could see being made for Strange having a big enough jump to reach a billion would be that both the Avengers films he was in (especially Infinity War where he has the most screentime of the two) establish him as an important "big gun" character in the MCU both in terms of power and him being put on the same league as Iron Man and the more established crew, introducing him to a lot of people who didn't see the first in theaters. But even then I think that'd get him to...what 800 million? 850?

Frankly, if his sequel only reached $800m - 5 years after his solo film did $630m and after EG and IW, that would be lackluster. Even Spider-Man, which was already a well known brand, increased $250m from HC to FFH. 

I think $300m is the minimum increase for DS2 (so about $930m total).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Frankly, if his sequel only reached $800m - 5 years after his solo film did $630m and after EG and IW, that would be lackluster. Even Spider-Man, which was already a well known brand, increased $250m from HC to FFH. 

I think $300m is the minimum increase for DS2 (so about $930m total).

I think the minimum is more like $250M domestic, again not all MCU films will see monster jumps. Wouldn’t be surprised if this one was smaller. And unlike Spider-Man who was in at least one MCU film a year since his debut, Strange only had a cameo in Thor 3 outside of the Infinity duology 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think the minimum is more like $250M domestic, again not all MCU films will see monster jumps. Wouldn’t be surprised if this one was smaller. And unlike Spider-Man who was in at least one MCU film a year since his debut, Strange only had a cameo in Thor 3 outside of the Infinity duology 

I don't really get your last part. Strange his been in at least one MCU film for 4 straight years, same as Spider-Man. 

I stick by my previous statement. Strange was a mostly unknown commodity in 2016 when his film came out. Spider-Man was the most known Marvel SH when he debuted in the MCU in Civil War.

The rate of return for Strange will be a lot higher than for Spider-Man. His powers are visually impressive and he gained a lot of hype in IW. Add to the fact that we know there will be more characters than just him in DS2 and the recipe is there for a big jump. 

• Like 3

Dr strange as an unknown commodity with a movie with no connection to anything did 109 million in china 3 years ago. 200+ in Asia

Gimme 400 in Asia for the sequel. 275+ minimum domestic. Easy to see 1B possible. No guarantee as that's a huge jump but this small jump shenanigans is ridiculous.

I think this will be big. Especially if we get cameos like Deadpool and Fox's X-men plus just seeing the Multiverse as a whole. I think this is way underestimate right now. Remember Doctor Strange has appeared in a lot more films since his solo debut film in 2016.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 4:42 PM, cdsacken said:

Dr strange as an unknown commodity with a movie with no connection to anything did 109 million in china 3 years ago. 200+ in Asia

Gimme 400 in Asia for the sequel. 275+ minimum domestic. Easy to see 1B possible. No guarantee as that's a huge jump but this small jump shenanigans is ridiculous.

The thing is the Dr Strange movie did not really get the full potential of the character, but his appreances in other Marvel Movies did.

As a huge fan of the Dr. Strange comics, I was pretty disspaointed in the film; it was only decent, and for me that is not good enough for the Master Of The Mystic Arts. But I loved what Taika and the Russos did with the character.

Scott Derrickson is stepping down as director of Marvel’s “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” Variety has learned.

The studio confirmed his departure in a statement, attributing it to “creative differences.”...

Start of production on the film will take place in May and there are not expected to be any delays when it comes to shooting. The search for a replacement is currently underway.

Edited by MrGlass2