kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

I liked Doctor Strange more than a lot of others seemed to. All I can say about the director though is I tried listening to his audio commentary for the movie and I can't exaggerate how unlistenable it is, it's only him and he was just the most boring, slow-talking, nothing interesting to say douche with an overinflated sense of self. Like dude I've seen your movies, you aren't an artist. I saw Deliver Us From Evil in the theater, it was genuinely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Sinister was an overrated bore as well. 

So yeah, I guess I just wanted to vent about the Doctor Strange commentary and how much it made me dislike the director, lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

54 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It's a factory. Shouldn't impact quality. Derrickson was fired I guess for trying to break out of the MCU mold. Wonder how long that mold can stay fresh though.

It will stay fresh forever. Marvel is like religion now and will last forever.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Finnick said:

The Russos made a great Dr Strange in IW.  Give them DS2?

That would be a dream, but they seemed to want to step back for like, a half dozen years at least, after being put through the IW+Endgame crucible.

It seems that his departure was because he wanted more time to work on the movie and Marvel didn't want to delay it because it's all already scheduled. The Russos shot back to back Infinity War and Endgame, the first Doctor Strange was released on 2016... Well it must be Scott was not putting a lot of effort in the movie, because 6 years for a solo movie is enough to make a movie.

Edited by andersonhoran

I actually liked Doctor Strange so I'm not overjoyed like most are in this thread. That being said, I'm not unhappy either. I guess I just have so much faith in Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios that I'm comfortable with whatever they do and know it's for the best. 

What is a shame is I was looking forward to the alleged horror element of this movie. Hope we don't lose that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, andersonhoran said:

It seems that his departure was because he wanted more time to work on the movie and Marvel didn't want to delay it because it's all already scheduled. The Russos shot back to back Infinity War and Endgame, the first Doctor Strange was released on 2016... Well it must be the man is not putting a lot of effort in the movie, because 6 years for a solo movie is enough to make a movie.

This is extrapolation.  We know nothing.   But yeah...the out-of-the-blue nature of the original announcement of this movie, long after the first film, sure makes it seem that this whole endeavor is driven by Feige's insistence on this character, and less so by a genuinely good story they can come up with.  That's also extrapolation, of course.  😂

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

This is extrapolation.  We know nothing.   But yeah...the out-of-the-blue nature of the original announcement of this movie, long after the first film, sure makes it seem that this whole endeavor is driven by Feige's insistence on this character, and less so by a genuinely good story they can come up with.  That's also extrapolation, of course.  😂

Well, The Russos and all the other directors didn't need 6 years to make good stories. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Why? He accomplished everything they wanted in the first round.

Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are the weakest movie in Phase 3 only because pf their director. 

A good director can elevate the script which both of them cannot do. 

Brie Larson and Benedict Cumberbatch are fantastic but they also need good director. 

For a frame of reference, with Ant-Man, Edgar Wright departed the project just over 14 months before shooting and Peyton Reed was hired about 6 weeks before filming began, and the script was somewhat re-written in that span.

This film has 16 months till release, but is without a doubt going to be more special-effects heavy than Ant-Man, so I imagine production is supposed to get rolling in the next couple months. Will be interesting to see what happens to the current script. Scott's pal Robert Cargill, who co-wrote the first film with Scott, appears to have wrote the first draft, but Marvel brought in someone new in October. If Feige wants to hold on to the script, and can secure another VFX capable director in the next couple of weeks, this film will be fine.

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

For a frame of reference, with Ant-Man, Edgar Wright departed the project just over 14 months before shooting and Peyton Reed was hired about 6 weeks before filming began, and the script was somewhat re-written in that span.

This film has 16 months till release, but is without a doubt going to be more special-effects heavy than Ant-Man, so I imagine production is supposed to get rolling in the next couple months. Will be interesting to see what happens to the current script. Scott's pal Robert Cargill, who co-wrote the first film with Scott, appears to have wrote the first draft, but Marvel brought in someone new in October. If Feige wants to hold on to the script, and can secure another VFX capable director in the next couple of weeks, this film will be fine.

I think filming is supposed to start in May. That will certainly give them enough time to find a new director, but time will tell if they can get everything else together by that point.

Just fire Captain Marvel directors now. That would be so awesome. Brie Larson needs a good director. 

Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange arw the part of new trio they need good treatment going forward. 

I am just waiting for team up movie of DS+CM+BP that would be so awesome. 

• Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Wright departed in May 23, 2014 - 14 months before the film was released, not started.   Reed was hired 2 weeks later.  Filming was pushed back just a  few weeks while McKay, Rudd, Reed et all worked on the script.

Marvel bringing in another writer in Oct indicates the version of the script Marvel want's in further along than Ant-Man's was.

Sam Raimi is a great idea though getting in a few months before filming might not be what he'd go for.

• Like 2

And now, the only 2021 superhero movie I'm excited for is Suicide Squad 2 (because I love GOTG 2, Slither, and Dawn of the Dead). I actually really liked Doctor Strange and that's mostly because of how Derrickson weaves his personal exploration of death and failure within the heaps of exposition and CGI battles. It gives it some sort of identity and I was hoping Derrickson would have more control over Doctor Strange 2 (like Gunn with GOTG 2) so that he could put more of his identity in DS2 (like actually directing the action sequences this time). 

• Like 2