kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

Kevin needs to hire Ari Aster (the director of Midsommar) and Robert Eggers (the director of Lighthouse) !!!

For those who say Kevin is not taking risks...I would say the contrary...and ask you all to think about these...

Captain America:  The Winter Soldier  

A political thriller that questions the role of governments

Captain America: Civil War

A political drama that explores the partisan politics of U.S.

Antman movies

Can love and relationships survive in the realm of Quantum Mechanics? Can humanity overcome the barrier of science?

Captain Marvel

It asks how memories shape a person , sort of like Memento

Thor movies

The duality of God/Man in one person, mirroring Jesus Christ, reflection on Christianity   

Black Panther

Analyze the racial discrimination which is rampant right now in US society

All these movies have deep and big themes. They ask important questions. You might question their execution but you can never doubt the ambitions behind them. Yet, you still wonder if Kevin is risk-taking enough to make Doctor Strange 2 a horror movie? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Wright departed in May 23, 2014 - 14 months before the film was released, not started.   Reed was hired 2 weeks later.  Filming was pushed back just a  few weeks while McKay, Rudd, Reed et all worked on the script.

Marvel bringing in another writer in Oct indicates the version of the script Marvel want's in further along than Ant-Man's was.

Sam Raimi is a great idea though getting in a few months before filming might not be what he'd go for.

Yes, that was a typo, I meant to say 14 months before release.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Kevin needs to hire Ari Aster (the director of Midsommar) and Robert Eggers (the director of Lighthouse) !!!

For those who say Kevin is not taking risks...I would say the contrary...and ask you all to think about these...

Captain America:  The Winter Soldier  

A political thriller that questions the role of governments

Captain America: Civil War

A political drama that explores the partisan politics of U.S.

Antman movies

Can love and relationships survive in the realm of Quantum Mechanics? Can humanity overcome the barrier of science?

Captain Marvel

It asks how memories shape a person , sort of like Memento

Thor movies

The duality of God/Man in one person, mirroring Jesus Christ, reflection on Christianity   

Black Panther

Analyze the racial discrimination which is rampant right now in US society

All these movies have deep and big themes. They ask important questions. You might question their execution but you can never doubt the ambitions behind them. Yet, you still wonder if Kevin is risk-taking enough to make Doctor Strange 2 a horror movie? 

Feige takes CALCULATED risks. This is the third director he's parted ways with, and we know from several others who served out their film that Feige's word is absolute law.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Feige takes CALCULATED risks. This is the third director he's parted ways with, and we know from several others who served out their film that Feige's word is absolute law.

Well, he's the boss.  We've also had reports that he gives his directors a lot of freedom.  It really depends on if they're on the same page.

3 partings before production in 25+ films - not exactly an epidemic.  The Flash and Nathan Drake alone have  gone through more than that.

• Like 4

I suspect (and this is really, nothing but speculation based on some whispering that are hardly of ironclad credibility) that Derrickson wanted to lean more into Madness part and Feige more into the Multiverse part (as in, highly interconnected "event" solo movie that ties into WV, Loki, future movies, future shows, introduces new characters, etc). 

If so, if you were looking forward to DS2 because of the "MCU's first scary movie" talk, this might be bad news for you.   

I was looking forward to DS2 as a highly-interconnected event movie, and after thinking about things a bit more (and pending the identity of the replacement) I am pleased as punch.

57 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Well, he's the boss.  We've also had reports that he gives his directors a lot of freedom.  It really depends on if they're on the same page.

3 partings before production in 25+ films - not exactly an epidemic.  The Flash and Nathan Drake alone have  gone through more than that.

Fiege will give directors as much freedom as they want until it interferes with his grand vision.

I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. Feige has more than earned the right to pay down the law of his kingdom. His $20 billion dollar kingdom.

Along those lines, I don’t think firing Scott is a big deal at all. Better this than pulling a Solo.

• Like 2

Scorsese's theme park comments really did a number on them--more than anyone would've ever imagined...

I kid. These creative differences may have come before this whole dispute.

But seriously... I think those filmmakers who respect Scorsese (i.e. everyone) took his words to heart.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, zhu2 said:

Scorsese's theme park comments really did a number on them--more than anyone would've ever imagined...

I kid. These creative differences may have come before this whole dispute.

But seriously... I think those filmmakers who respect Scorsese (i.e. everyone) took his words to heart.

Lol. Wtf. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

That first movie was pretty bad. This news doesn't really move the needle either way

If you ask me, all the bad parts of the movie seemed to be the stuff that typical Marvel movies suffered from. The reason I liked Doctor Strange was because of the stuff that seemed to have come from Derrickson. I think this would have made a much better film if Marvel let Derrickson do what he wanted to do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If you ask me, all the bad parts of the movie seemed to be the stuff that typical Marvel movies suffered from. The reason I liked Doctor Strange was because of the stuff that seemed to have come from Derrickson. I think this would have made a much better film if Marvel let Derrickson do what he wanted to do.

All the best stuff came from Dikto.  The film itself was a bit stiff and charmless outside of the visuals and the excellent work of Tilda.  Cumberbatch is fine playing an largely unappealing character it but he does better work in AIW and Strange's magic is used in visually more interesting ways.

Nothing in Derrickon's past indicates he'd make a much better film if let on his own.   He's had 4 years to present a knock it out of the park presentation, concept or script that would convince Feige to give him more his own way as he's done for numerous directors..  He's also probably 3 years already knowing Wanda and the Multi Verse would be a part of it  - which makes the sequel a far more interesting concept than the first or any horror heavy sequel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

If Feige and Derrickson wanted to go in different directions, I’m almost sure Feige’s will be more in line with my personal preferences.    

That's because Marvel movies are made by a committee, they're all producer-driven not director driven (and this isn't necessarily a bad thing it's how the MCU has managed to keep its quality consistent for almost a decade, and how they've built their fanbase over the years) It's always Feige's word over whoever's name follows "Directed by". 

So I'm sure whoever they bring in next to direct MoM will be up to Feige and the MCU's standards.

Edited by RealLyre