kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I find it funny that Derrickson left because of "creative differences" but people keep picking horror and more obscure directors. Most choices people are throwing around are gonna create larger differences. The only choice I think that works is Travis Knight. Not a big fan of his work but he probably fits within the MCU group of directors.

"Creative differences" is Hollywood-speak for all kinds of things.  Sometimes literally, sometimes scheduling, sometimes "it's complicated."  But yeah, Warner Bros. has hired horror directors for its last few DC projects, so...there's clearly something else specific to the Derrickson/Feige relationship that isn't gelling...it's beyond just the possible horror/spectacle difference. 

• Like 2

So you think that if Ari Aster became the director like people were suggesting, there would be less conflicts than there was now regardless of what the conflicts were? 

if he agrees to do what Feige wants then yeah. though I doubt he would wanna do a Marvel movie unless he gives in for financial reasons.  

On 1/10/2020 at 7:13 AM, stephanos13 said:

You can't move away from the MCU formula. This getting frustating.

Said about the most cookie cutter and visionless director they still had on their books, that's hilarious. The sudden and disingenuous love for Derrickson who was shat on for the last five years til he got booted is cracking me up.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ithil said:

Said about the most cookie cutter and visionless director they still had on their books, that's hilarious. The sudden and disingenuous love for Derrickson who was shat on for the last five years til he got booted is cracking me up.

Derrickson had a much more unique vision than most MCU directors though. I would put him below Whedon, Coogler, Gunn, Waitti, and the Russos in terms of vision I guess but he's above the other directors.

• ...wtf 1

11 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Agree. 

I was talking about the shades that Scott is giving on twitter. 

He is acting like he is everything for Marvel Studios. 

If you read his past tweet, you will notice he wasn't able to meet deadline. Last month he tweeted many things about Disney. 

If you'd ever listened to his commentary for DS, or interviews with him in general, he has a massively over-inflated sense of his own skill and worth. He certainly portrays himself as some sort of auteur. 

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Derrickson had a much more unique vision than most MCU directors though. I would put him below Whedon, Coogler, Gunn, Waitti, and the Russos in terms of vision I guess but he's above the other directors.

You just named most of the current MCU directors.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Those guys directed 9 of the last 14 non-Derrickson movies...

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk I would probably also put him below Watts, Favreau, Branagh, and maybe Johnston, about on par with Peyton Reed, and above the rest. I agree he did have interesting things to say about death which could put him higher but I don't think that came through strongly in the film.

Edit: also Black is probably above him

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

Scott Derrickson is a smug, pretentious third-rate horror director. He is the exact opposite of a visionary. I am ecstatic that he was given the axe or was unhappy enough to leave. I didn't want to talk about it before but I really do not like Scott Derrickson. His filmography is bad. Strange was a good movie because he got lucky and because of Kevin Feige. I hope the next director is a little more interesting.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Scott Derrickson is a smug, pretentious third-rate horror director. He is the exact opposite of a visionary. I am ecstatic that he was given the axe or was unhappy enough to leave. I didn't want to talk about it before but I really do not like Scott Derrickson. His filmography is bad. Strange was a good movie because he got lucky and because of Kevin Feige. I hope the next director is a little more interesting.

100% apt. He is actually worse than Ana Boden and Ryan Fleck. 

I noticed that personal interaction scene in Captain Marvel were very well done. 

Captain Marvel action and story was weak but all the personal moments  were great. 

Dr. Strange had only one good scene the interaction between Strange and Ancient one when she dies. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Scott Derrickson is a smug, pretentious third-rate horror director. He is the exact opposite of a visionary. I am ecstatic that he was giving the axe or was unhappy enough to leave. I didn't want to talk about it before but I really do not like Scott Derrickson. His filmography is bad. Strange was a good movie because he got lucky and because of Kevin Feige. I hope the next director is a little more interesting.

Sinister and The Exorcism of Emily Rose are pretty good movies though and the former is espescially cleverly written. I haven't seen Hellraiser Inferno but I enjoyed the first two so I don't see why Inferno would be fun too. The Day the Earth Stood still was bad though but I don't see how just that movie makes him a bad director.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

100% apt. He is actually worse than Ana Boden and Ryan Fleck. 

I noticed that personal interaction scene in Captain Marvel were very well done. 

Captain Marvel action and story was weak but all the personal moments  were great. 

Dr. Strange had only one good scene the interaction between Strange and Ancient one when she dies. 

I don't know about only one good personal interaction in DS but I agree the character interactions in CM were far stronger. In fact I thought Strange's character development was weird in general in DS, he got powerful really quickly without much struggle.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

My guess: Disney changed up the story to tie more to Loki/WandaVision, and Derrickson wasn't interested. If that's the case, a big potential director could be Matt Shakman, WandaVision's director.

When the film was announced Feige said Wanda would be a big part of it.  It was also when then series WandaVision was announced.  So, I'm not sure how Derrikson could be blindsided by the inclusion of the series or those characters.

• Like 7

Sinister and The Exorcism of Emily Rose are pretty good movies though and the former is espescially cleverly written. I haven't seen Hellraiser Inferno but I enjoyed the first two so I don't see why Inferno would be fun too. The Day the Earth Stood still was bad though but I don't see how just that movie makes him a bad director.

I don't agree with you that those are good movies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When the film was announced Feige said Wanda would be a big part of it.  It was also when then series WandaVision was announced.  So, I'm not sure how Derrikson could be blindsided by the inclusion of the series or those characters.

Except in that time WandaVision moved up several months, and since it sounds like the other Marvel shows also moved up significantly (Ms Marvel was going to film in September and now it's filming in April), so if the schedule moved up the amount of inclusion might have gotten larger, especially since Feige also said Loki is tied to it (which, assuming it now gets WandaVision's old spot, would now come out before Strange).

• Thanks 1