kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't want it to be May release though. Should move it to 29th April along with INT release because I can't see them being idiots to not release it on April 26 onward internationally.

It makes no sense to even go back to the beginning of May release after how well the end of April worked out for IW/EG. Just claim that spot forever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Aquaman probably moves away from Avatar to March 2023 and Flash moves to Christmas.

Even then I think Flash has too much audience crossover with Avatar that I don't think it's really worth it, though I guess if there's any time of the year for multiple movies to coexist it would be Christmas. Even then, I would probably just place Wonka for Christmas next year, assuming the film won't take up too much post-production time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Also the Oct 2023 date is gone now, presumably that was the DP3 slot and is now on hold until Ryan Reynolds decides to come back to acting. Blade looks to be the Nov 2023 one, they should probably move it up another week to take advantage of Halloween.

I’m pretty sure Blade was the October film, my guess is that it’s not ready yet to make a 2023 spot as I think October or February would be the go to months for that film. 

Just now, Menor said:

It makes no sense to even go back to the beginning of May release after how well the end of April worked out for IW/EG. Just claim that spot forever. 

And like May first weekend release mean you have 2 weeks before memorial day weekend while April end gives 3. Though it stopped mattering again as some big movie anyways release on weekend before memorial day weekend, which now will make only 2 open weeks if they stick to May 5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mean for those two I get them not wanting spoilers to get out and while MOM has big things it’s nowhere near as big as IW/EG

Just now, YourMother said:

I mean for those two I get them not wanting spoilers to get out and while MOM has big things it’s nowhere near as big as IW/EG

Yeah, but even without spoiler considerations, a simultaneous end of April release is just better for the box office. There's nothing special about the beginning of May that they have to delay the domestic release to there. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

Anyone knows why they moved?

From the Deadline article: 

"Exhibition, no need to be alarmed: This has nothing to do with a change in distribution strategy for these films, I’m informed. There’s no Disney+ theatrical day-and-date going on, nor are Disney execs immediately concerned about the future of the global marketplace. It’s all on account of a domino effect going on with production and filmmakers. Some titles are contending with finishing scenarios while others are in production. This is how Disney is solving it, and when you come to think of it, most of the dates were already reserved by the studio for Marvel fare; they’re just moving titles from one slot to the next."

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah, but even without spoiler considerations, a simultaneous end of April release is just better for the box office. There's nothing special about the beginning of May that they have to delay the domestic release to there. 

One minus of late April is it gets zero benefit from summer break. couple of decades ago summer schedule started from Memorial weekend. We moved up to 1st week of May and now post Avengers you are asking it to be moved up even more. What worked for Avengers Endgame may not work for individual movies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

One minus of late April is it gets zero benefit from summer break. couple of decades ago summer schedule started from Memorial weekend. We moved up to 1st week of May and now post Avengers you are asking it to be moved up even more. What worked for Avengers Endgame may not work for individual movies. 

I think the benefit from summer even for an early May release is pretty minimal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is ton of capacity on SAT. Doesn't really matter. At all.

Also MCU has a fixed loyal fanbase now. They can release the movie on any weekend, it will open well.

21 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This always felt like a big Marvel May release so it makes sense imo.

This. MoM being a huge part of the Multiverse storyline, neevr felt right in the old slot, and Thor:L&T never felt right in the tentpole spot. Don't get me wrong, we don't know how T:L&T connects to Phase 4 but so far nothing indicates that it will have relevance/impact of NWH and MoM. So it makes more sense to give MoM the spotlight spot. 

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If I am not wrong, summer breaks start Memorial Day weekend and onward right?

We don't start getting summer weekdays till May end.

Yeah I don't know about everyone in the States but I've NEVER considered May a summer month. Ever. Summer for me has always been June, July, August. My kids, and myself when I was in school, always get off school in June and go back the day after Labour Day. The idea that the first weekend of May kicks off the summer movie calendar is odd to me.