kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

46 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I really enjoyed the first Dr.Strange, I’m sure this will be good as well but it’s too bad he isn’t coming back. 

I really liked the first one as well and he seemed very passionate about the character, so this wasn't expected. Although I don't really have a problem with them mixing it up with directors for sequels, so I guess we'll have to see who steps in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Actually, love this. Knight has done great work with Laika as he has some horror film experience, and Bumblebee had a lot of heart so yes.

I agree but add Coogler in the mix, he has talent and was able to bring his voice in with Black Panther.

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Anyways not too broken up about this, Strange was one of the weaker Phase 3 film, though I was intrigued by Derrickson’s pitch as he wanted to use Nightmare, which could’ve allowed some trippy stuff. I’m guessing Fiege wanted something more along the lines of multiverse stuff as Derrickson wanted to do more horror.

Completely agreed on all points.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Generally speaking, I don’t think it really matters who is directing a Marvel movie. Outside of Taika Waititi and James Gunn, most Marvel directors don’t really seem like they have much of a creative thumbprint for their films. 

Feige might not be a director, but clear he is the prime "auteur" of the MCU.

This is nothing new. A great many film producers have been the real auteur of their films rather then the director. Certainly true for David O Selznick, and "The Longest Day" was definently Darryl Zanuck's baby .

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I really liked the first one as well and he seemed very passionate about the character, so this wasn't expected. Although I don't really have a problem with them mixing it up with directors for sequels, so I guess we'll have to see who steps in.

I am not surprised; Dr Strange had of the  most mixed receptions of any of the MCU films, and many Strange fans felt it took Tarkiri and the Russos to give them the Dr. Strange they wanted.

I overall enjoyed the first strange film but it was  along way from being as good as it should have been. One major fault is that the whole subplot with Rachel McAdams just did not work. 

Still hope one of the Villians is Nightmare, though.

57 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Didn’t hate Derrickson, but hardly loved him either. I bet the replacement will be more exciting.

Pretty much my view. Derrickson did an OK job with the first Strange film, but OK was not good enough for me, being a huge fan of the Dr Strange comics.

Been a while since we've had an MCU Director drop out due to Creative Differences. Can't say I'm too sad since Doctor Strange was one of the weaker MCU films but still not nice to see directors leaving projects especially when this film will be out in less than two years.

Reaction here though is opposite to what I assume was when Edgar Wright left lol. 

The 2021 deadline seemed like an issue if you saw Derrickson's previous tweets. Seems a tad odd since there would have been a 5 year gap between the first one and this one but understandably if you feel pressured to work faster than what you want then maybe best to leave. Feige surely has already been thinking of who to get for a while now. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Guys, don't panic. Believe in Kevin, Marvel and Disney. Everything is going fine. Heck, given that, things are probably going into a better direction with a better director attached !

It's a factory. Shouldn't impact quality. Derrickson was fired I guess for trying to break out of the MCU mold. Wonder how long that mold can stay fresh though.

• Like 4

Entirely possible that he wasn't comfortable with the scope of the film if they do intend to make it some kind of crossover event. Anyway I'm not sure whenever something like this happens people forget about all the MCU directors who have been allowed creative freedom like Waititi, Gunn, Coogler etc. and claim that the MCU movies are "all the same".

Edited by Menor
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Guys, don't panic. Believe in Kevin, Marvel and Disney. Everything is going fine. Heck, given that, things are probably going into a better direction with a better director attached !

I can never tell whether you're quoting Kevin Tsujihara, the PR machine, or actually resembling a human being with natural enthusiasm. 

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

Entirely possible that he wasn't comfortable with the scope of the film if they do intend to make it some kind of crossover event. Anyway I'm not sure whenever something like this happens people forget about all the MCU directors who have been allowed creative freedom like Waititi, Gunn, Coogler etc. and claim that the MCU movies are "all the same".

Apparently they made mcu movies i didnt watch, because then i watched GoTG my thoughts werent "wow its so different then the others".

2 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

Apparently they made mcu movies i didnt watch, because then i watched GoTG my thoughts werent "wow its so different then the others".

GOTG2, and even the first one did have his vision all over it. Never once did I mention whether it was different enough to suit your particular tastes, which are totally irrelevant to the point of my comment.

• Like 5