kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

5 hours ago, Hades said:

I hope Marvel does not shoehorn another Avenger in this. They should have faith in the character. 

Including more characters from the extended universe doesn’t have to be shoehorned or indicate a lack of faith. On the contrary, it often feels a little silly when characters meet a bunch of other superheroes in a huge crossover and then there’s no trace of that in their next movie. Widow in TWS, Iron Man in SMH, Hulk in Ragnarok, all used well and added to the story.         

They should include other characters if the narrative they want to tell most includes other characters, and don’t if it doesn’t.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Doctor Strange was not a great movie but it was certainly better than most MCU movies, I don't know where this hate is coming from.

That last sentence is what a lot of us think about your hatred for the MCU.

Edited by dudalb

Mordo will be the human villlian., and I am betting that Nightmare will be his Supernatural partner. We know the writer and director tried to work Nightmare into the first one,but pulled him out when they decided they could not do him justice n a brief appreance.

On 10/27/2018 at 3:06 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I would be surprised if this isn't the May 2020 MCU film but idk seems other projects are moving faster than this one.

Black Widow is set for that date.

This doesn't even have a locked director to my knowledge (I believe they may have mentioned Derrickson is returning, but I hope not... even though DS got great critical reception and was a hit, audiences weren't super keen on it and it was one of the most honestly forgettable titles of the whole Phase 3. I'd do away with Derrickson and give this to some other horror director with a good artistic vision for filmmaking, like Andy Muschietti).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

.... I believe they may have mentioned Derrickson is returning, but I hope not... even though DS got great critical reception and was a hit, audiences weren't super keen on it and it was one of the most honestly forgettable titles of the whole Phase 3...

What?

IMDb rating 7.5, RT audience 86% with an 4.1 out of 5 rating beside some backlash about race/gender of the  Ancient one. Is it possible you concludes this based on your personal reaction?

I love DS (the movie), my pupils loved or at least liked it too as we watched and discussed it then. Only one didn't, but she does not like any CBMs, so that was no surprise.

They asked me repeatedly when the next one will get released, react astonished at first about a missing project announcement, but as we do not know anything for sure for after Avengers 4 (beside Spidey... in a way).... they assume its for spoiler reasons (as do I to a degree).

I think they are in the works for a big change in their xx-films-till-2029 plan for the addition of the Fox owned material or are in discussions how to use those or.... In my opinion Feige is a long time planer, based on that he has probably a LOT of discussions with his inner circle since a few weeks at least and not only right now, but probably for some time. At with legals...

Plus his contract needs some thinking/discussions too

Yeah.  Now that we’re 10 years in, when is your contract up with Marvel and Disney?

It’s coming up.  I don’t necessarily know.  But it’s…  It was a long contract.  It’s coming up.  I’m gonna have to deal with it at some point.  Soon.  I think this year (interview is from 2018).

Do you have aspirations beyond Marvel, like producing or like a studio head or something?

I love making movies.  I love making movies.  I love being part of movies.  I love having a large say in the way that movies are made.  And that’s what I wanna keep doing.

might be already done, but that too will cost time and energy

Whatever they do with the FOX material, Feige got the responsibility for that too.

Maybe he simply has no time for faster announcement (as in no time to push for finding creatives, see searching for the right people for more pressing projects like GotG 3 too) or it is simply not the time based on those reasons?

Maybe people overestimate the size of the staff at Marvel?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I still say this doesn't get made at all. 

It'll be talked about mildly for a couple more years, then gradually swept under the rug. 

Prove me wrong, Marvel.

Why though? The first one was a very good success and Doctor Strange was considered one of the standouts in Infinity War which should boost any sequel he gets. If Ant-Man got a sequel this definitely will.

9 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Black Widow is set for that date.

This doesn't even have a locked director to my knowledge (I believe they may have mentioned Derrickson is returning, but I hope not... even though DS got great critical reception and was a hit, audiences weren't super keen on it and it was one of the most honestly forgettable titles of the whole Phase 3. I'd do away with Derrickson and give this to some other horror director with a good artistic vision for filmmaking, like Andy Muschietti).

I think Derrickson is all set to return but I'd agree I wouldn't mind a change in director. But the majority of Marvel directors are now coming back to do sequels (unlike Phase 1 and Phase 2) so if Feige was happy with now the first one was I don't think he would change it up.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Why though? The first one was a very good success and Doctor Strange was considered one of the standouts in Infinity War which should boost any sequel he gets. If Ant-Man got a sequel this definitely will.

I think Derrickson is all set to return but I'd agree I wouldn't mind a change in director. But the majority of Marvel directors are now coming back to do sequels (unlike Phase 1 and Phase 2) so if Feige was happy with now the first one was I don't think he would change it up.

We'll see. 

I think the first film is honestly one of Marvel Studio's few relative "duds" so far.  I maintain that the Dr.Strange movie won't even hold up as well as Ant-Man, historically, culturally, critically.  Ant-Man has a natural charisma that this film lacked (mainly because of its lead, I'd argue).  But you're right, the character almost works better in IW. 

But if it does happen at all in this incarnation, yeah, I'd expect a different director, too.

But I see it as more likely that Dr. Strange gets his chance to shine in these Infinity War films, and then is written off, rebooted, or recast down the line. 

(Again. I'd be happy if Marvel proved me wrong, but my gut inclination is that this isn't happening.)

Edited by Macleod

Of course a sequel is happening.

This is one of MCU's most unique characters and concept and the first movie barely scratched the surface. The character was also a standout in IW. 

As someone else mentioned, the first movie outgrossed both Ant-Man movies DOM and WW.  Also, why would they cancel another franchise after the Guardians debacle?

11 hours ago, terrestrial said:

What?

IMDb rating 7.5, RT audience 86% with an 4.1 out of 5 rating beside some backlash about race/gender of the  Ancient one. Is it possible you concludes this based on your personal reaction?

I love DS (the movie), my pupils loved or at least liked it too as we watched and discussed it then. Only one didn't, but she does not like any CBMs, so that was no surprise.

They asked me repeatedly when the next one will get released, react astonished at first about a missing project announcement, but as we do not know anything for sure for after Avengers 4 (beside Spidey... in a way).... they assume its for spoiler reasons (as do I to a degree).

I think they are in the works for a big change in their xx-films-till-2029 plan for the addition of the Fox owned material or are in discussions how to use those or.... In my opinion Feige is a long time planer, based on that he has probably a LOT of discussions with his inner circle since a few weeks at least and not only right now, but probably for some time. At with legals...

Well, personal reaction and general reactions around the circles I go to, whether that is on the internet or anecdotal evidence around me. Everyone I talk to thinks DS was "fine" or "okay" but nothing special. I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was good. Probably my least favorite Phase 3 film (and it remains such even after seeing Ant-Man And The Wasp).

11 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah, I figure so too, but I really wish there's a change of heart there. I don't hate Derrickson's work (even if I've only seen two movies of his - Sinister and DS - but neither were bad imo), but he's not a great fit for a project like this.

And, while we're at it, there's 0% chance this doesn't happen. Strange was the breakout character coming out of Infinity War, the 1st movie was a bigger hit than either Ant-Man movie and the original cast is all but gone after Avengers 4 (except Black Widow).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Of course a sequel is happening.

This is one of MCU's most unique characters and concept and the first movie barely scratched the surface. The character was also a standout in IW. 

As someone else mentioned, the first movie outgrossed both Ant-Man movies DOM and WW.  Also, why would they cancel another franchise after the Guardians debacle?

Dr Strange is one ofmty favorite Marvel charecters, but in the end a sequel is going to depend not on the character being unique, but on how much Dr Strange made at the box office and what Feige thinks the chances of a sequel making money is.

I think there wlll be a sequel, Dr Strange was not one of the MCU' biggest hits, but it made enough of a profit to justify a sequel,

Don't kid yourself, the decision to greenlight a sequel is made for business reasons. not artistics ones and certainly not to make "the fans" happy.

Macleod seems to have taken a dislike to the movie for whatever reason. Whthere it was a dud from a entertainment viewpoint is a individual judgement,but from a box office viewpoint it was a success. Not as big as some other MCU films go, but still a success.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Don't kid yourself, the decision to greenlight a sequel is made for business reasons. not artistics ones and certainly not to make "the fans" happy.

Macleod seems to have taken a dislike to the movie for whatever reason. Whthere it was a dud from a entertainment viewpoint is a individual judgement,but from a box office viewpoint it was a success. Not as big as some other MCU films go, but still a success.

Indeed, numerous sequels have been made over the years that throw up questions surrounding "Did people really want this?"  But the first one made money, and someone, somewhere saw value in investing.  (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, anyone?) 

No hate here, just my gut feeling.  No special love for the movie, but no special hate, either, from me.  But I think that's its larger problem, for Marvel Studios/Disney, actually.  Again, happy to proven wrong. 

Could simply be Marvel waiting out the Infinity War films and the character's fates, as the character features heavily in them.  (Though that doesn't seem to have stopped Sony with pushing a Spider-Man sequel immediately into production...and being very public about the fact that Tom Holland features in it...but he's a much more reliable/established character, too. It's a unique thing.)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kitik said:

May 2021?

Was that the date we were expecting? When are we expecting Black Panther 2?

Marvel has a set date for Feb 2021 so I imagine that's when Black Panther 2 is coming. I'm surprised Marvel took this long to get a sequel to Doctor Strange ready. 5 years is their longest time between instalments.