kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

39 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

$115M OW/$320M DOM/$880M WW

A 40% domestic increase but only 25% OS? I don't see a way in which the OS market grows less than domestic for an MCU sequel. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

I am actually intensely curious about how Wandavision and Loki could affect this. If the 20 weeks before release have like 12-16 weeks of episodes that connect to it in some way and drive conversation kind of like The Mandalorian, that’s a crazy element of additional marketing that no other movie in history will have had. Like releasing a movie connected to the Mandalorian this weekend.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I am actually intensely curious about how Wandavision and Loki could affect this. If the 20 months before release have like 12-16 weeks of episodes that connect to it in some way and drive conversation kind of like The Mandalorian, that’s a crazy element of additional marketing that no other movie in history will have had. Like releasing a movie connected to the Mandalorian this weekend.

I don't think there will be an impact. We've already seen this to some extent with Agents of SHIELD and CA: The Winter Soldier. There is some audience overlap, but TV and movies operate very differently and don't exert very much influence on each other.

8 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I don't think there will be an impact. We've already seen this to some extent with Agents of SHIELD and CA: The Winter Soldier. There is some audience overlap, but TV and movies operate very differently and don't exert very much influence on each other.

I don’t think the situation will be remotely comparable to Agents of Shield tbh. That didn’t have a real influence on the MCU, high production value, or much broader buzz. No guarantees that Wandavision or Loki will either, but the potential is there at least.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

A 40% domestic increase but only 25% OS? I don't see a way in which the OS market grows less than domestic for an MCU sequel. 

I’m thinking Strange 2 has a modest increase, as the original was smaller, and the two year wait from Endgame. Think Thor 2 to 3.

15 minutes ago, doublejack said:

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I don’t think the situation will be remotely comparable to Agents of Shield tbh. That didn’t have a real influence on the MCU, high production value, or much broader buzz. No guarantees that Wandavision or Loki will either, but the potential is there at least.

What's coming with the Disney+ series is nothing like AoS and TWS

1) 2020/21 is not 2013/14

2) These new series are all under the direct control of Feige and using the same cast/talent. It's the next phase of MCU storytelling.
3) AoS was an offshoot (as were the other Marvel TV shows) that the films never reference in any tangible way. Feige has already said these series will be the equivalents of prequels where the direct consequences of them will play into the films.

• Like 3

AoS had a ton of hype and was one of the most-watched new series when it began. It quickly crashed during the first season however, but still had millions watching the crossover episode with TWS.

The novel part is having lead actors from a TV show move over to a blockbuster, finally #ItsAllConnected. The MCU is unique enough, it is hard to know what to expect in terms of added box office from the TV shows (or even how to measure this effect).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

13 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

What's coming with the Disney+ series is nothing like AoS and TWS

1) 2020/21 is not 2013/14

2) These new series are all under the direct control of Feige and using the same cast/talent. It's the next phase of MCU storytelling.
3) AoS was an offshoot (as were the other Marvel TV shows) that the films never reference in any tangible way. Feige has already said these series will be the equivalents of prequels where the direct consequences of them will play into the films.

I disagree with you both. I think this will be exactly like the AoS situation. It doesn't matter that Feige is producing the Disney+ shows. Whedon wrapped up phase 1 and was largely responsible for phase 2 of the MCU, and also very involved with AoS. Didn't matter. Same talent in both, like Clark Gregg and even Samuel Jackson in a few episodes of AoS? Doesn't matter.

Here's the fundamental problem - one simply cannot make a movie where viewers will be lacking information if they didn't watch a TV show. Marvel will never make this mistake. The MCU must be self contained, where all the information needed to enjoy them are within the movies themselves. That's how it has been and that's how it shall be.

What Feige has said about the Disney+ series was already said about AoS. It will turn out to be misleading, again. Don't fall for it. I'm telling you right now, threads that are started in Wandavision or Loki will go absolutely nowhere in the movies, and will not play any kind of meaningful part. What you'll see instead is some creative writing, where the creators of the shows know what is going to happen in the films and back-fill to make their stories work.

Here's another hole in your argument - Disney+ simply does not reach enough viewers for it to matter. The latest numbers we've gotten are that 10M people subscribe to Disney+. Even if all of them are Marvel fans and watch the new shows, that's still a tiny fraction of the movie-going audience. What were the total admissions for EG? At least seven times that, and I believe more. I don't have time to look it up presently. This is the same problem with AoS. The TV audience is teeny tiny compared to cinema. They are different, as I stated initially. Lots of people who watch TV are infrequent movie goers. I, and several of my friends, watch little to no TV and yet go to movies as often as possible. I know there is some crossover but I don't believe it is as big as it maybe some are thinking it is.

20 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Here's the fundamental problem - one simply cannot make a movie where viewers will be lacking information if they didn't watch a TV show. Marvel will never make this mistake. The MCU must be self contained, where all the information needed to enjoy them are within the movies themselves. That's how it has been and that's how it shall be.

How is this any different than the people who didn't see Ant-Man and the Wasp going into Endgame? The MCU is self contained....within the MCU, which these Disney+ series will now be a part of. You don't need to see every single Infinity Saga film to watch Endgame, but doing so improves your experience because you "get" everything.

21 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Here's another hole in your argument - Disney+ simply does not reach enough viewers for it to matter. The latest numbers we've gotten are that 10M people subscribe to Disney+. Even if all of them are Marvel fans and watch the new shows, that's still a tiny fraction of the movie-going audience.

That'll grow. That's the whole purpose of doing it this way. Tie it in so that it matters and one would need to get Disney+ to know the complete story. 

Feige talks about all of this stuff in a recent interview he did. How they create films so that not seeing the previous part of the story doesn't hurt the viewing experience but seeing the previous parts or knowing the details helps enrich the experience. At 21:08 he starts talking about Disney+ and what they're doing. Later he talks about how he views creating stories like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think you’re dead wrong on this @doublejack. The events of Wandavision will be extremely important to the plot of this movie, and D+ shows will be equally important to the plot of the MCU as movies — some shows less important than some movies, and some movies less important than some shows. Ultimately we’ll just have to wait and see, but I feel like you’re applying a very outdated mindset about the mediums.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

The films are already connected with the series. Loki disappears, Cap gives the shield to Sam and not Bucky.... all these stories that were set in Endgame will be addressed in the Disney+ series. Marvel Tv never had this before.

Edited by Hermia

53 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I disagree with you both. I think this will be exactly like the AoS situation. It doesn't matter that Feige is producing the Disney+ shows. Whedon wrapped up phase 1 and was largely responsible for phase 2 of the MCU, and also very involved with AoS. Didn't matter. Same talent in both, like Clark Gregg and even Samuel Jackson in a few episodes of AoS? Doesn't matter.

What Feige has said about the Disney+ series was already said about AoS. It will turn out to be misleading, again. Don't fall for it. I'm telling you right now, threads that are started in Wandavision or Loki will go absolutely nowhere in the movies, and will not play any kind of meaningful part. What you'll see instead is some creative writing, where the creators of the shows know what is going to happen in the films and back-fill to make their stories work.

Here's another hole in your argument - Disney+ simply does not reach enough viewers for it to matter. The latest numbers we've gotten are that 10M people subscribe to Disney+. Even if all of them are Marvel fans and watch the new shows, that's still a tiny fraction of the movie-going audience. What were the total admissions for EG? At least seven times that, and I believe more. I don't have time to look it up presently. This is the same problem with AoS. The TV audience is teeny tiny compared to cinema. They are different, as I stated initially. Lots of people who watch TV are infrequent movie goers. I, and several of my friends, watch little to no TV and yet go to movies as often as possible. I know there is some crossover but I don't believe it is as big as it maybe some are thinking it is.

Well, that is what Disney has done with several of their Star Wars films. 

12 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Double DS? That would be bigger than Black Panther....

Would love to see it over $1.35B (especially for my club) but I'm not sure if I'd go that far. 

Even the title gets people intrigued and the effect of WandaVision is also still to be seen. It will have a lot of buzz among the core MCU fandom (pretty much every poll I've seen has this as one of, if not the most anticipated film of phase 4). The visuals and spectacle will probably be even crazier than the first. I think the potential is there.

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Even the title gets people intrigued and the effect of WandaVision is also still to be seen. It will have a lot of buzz among the core MCU fandom (pretty much every poll I've seen has this as one of, if not the most anticipated film of phase 4). The visuals and spectacle will probably be even crazier than the first. I think the potential is there.

I agree the potential is there, especially with Feige now saying that certain characters will be debuting in that film (though he did say it's ones no one is thinking of that they've been looking for the right place to bring them in, so not like an X-Men I assume). I just don't want to get over-hyped yet. 

Believe me though, there's nothing I want more (entertainment wise) than for the MCU to continue its ascent. The non-Avengers Phase 3 films averaged $963m worldwide. I'm already on the Phase 4 & 5 > $1.2 billion average and would like to see the first non-Avengers film over $2 billion! 

• Like 1