kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

9 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Honestly Marvel are good at looking at where their problems are and trying to fix them. Ragnarok ain't beloved by me but it's a good deal better than Thor and The Dark World. I think they'll address the problems with Doctor Strange and no Cumberbatch wasn't one of them. He was great. MacAdams character was a waste of space and huge step back for women in the MCU. I really hope they give her a massively better role in the sequel. 

Hey, at least she wasn’t frayed as badly as Michael Stuhlbarg who was a background character with about two lines 

I didn't think Doctor Strange was bad but at the same time, I was kinda "ehh" on it. Visually, it's masterfully well crafted, I liked the cast, I liked the twist on the 3rd act tropes and I liked the spirituality surrounding the magic, BUT this movie desperately needed a better and more stylistically inspired director, and a script that didn't feel like a very poor mix between David Goyer and Kevin Feige. You get a James Wan or a Fede Alvarez for Doctor Strange 2, and I'm more on board, because I feel like those guys are so good at crafting spooky and weird imagery w/great style and no bullshit; unfortunately, it seems like Scott Derrickson is staying on, and I never felt like Derrickson could do that, although I liked Sinister.

So, like @Mojoguy says, if they ever decide to Thor: Ragnarok the shit out of this Doctor Strange franchise, then I'm on board (and I didn't love Ragnarok, but I had a great time watching it and it's easily the best Thor movie). But until they get the next Waititi, I'm not really very excited for this.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

They just need to flesh out the characters, keep the visuals/action and forget the forced humor. I don't mind humor in MCU movies but for this movie it was really off putting. What makes it worse is that it was added in after the fact (I'm not sure if that was the case for previous MCU films but this one was really noticeable.)

11 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Honestly Marvel are good at looking at where their problems are and trying to fix them. Ragnarok ain't beloved by me but it's a good deal better than Thor and The Dark World. I think they'll address the problems with Doctor Strange and no Cumberbatch wasn't one of them. He was great. MacAdams character was a waste of space and huge step back for women in the MCU. 

When Dr. Strange came out, the MCU was at no great place in terms of female representation, was it? I guess McAdams' role was just a step in the same direction (at that moment)?

35 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

They just need to flesh out the characters, keep the visuals/action and forget the forced humor. I don't mind humor in MCU movies but for this movie it was really off putting. What makes it worse is that it was added in after the fact (I'm not sure if that was the case for previous MCU films but this one was really noticeable.)

It was off putting because it was so clearly shoved in at the last minute. If that addition was more seamless nobody would be talking about it. I still like the film a lot but I hope that they make Doctor Strange a more serious MCU franchise to go alongside Black Panther and Captain America. 

Yeah I hope the sequel goes a bit more weird with the visuals. I wanna see Doctor Strange travel to other dimensions which sounds like that might be the case if Nightmare is the villain. 4 years is a good gap for this particular franchise too though I think we're gonna get plenty of Doctor Strange in 2019 with Avengers 4 and probably appearing in the Spider-Man sequel.

I think it's unlikely we see a standalone sequel anytime soon.  Clearly, it's not a priority for them.  Kevin is a master at PR-speak.  Most of it has turned to gold for him, but he knows how to cover up (or literally just avoid) questions, as well.

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I think it's unlikely we see a standalone sequel anytime soon.  Clearly, it's not a priority for them.  Kevin is a master at PR-speak.  Most of it has turned to gold for him, but he knows how to cover up (or literally just avoid) questions, as well.

Doctor strange 2 coming relatively soon is a given, I don’t understand wth you are talking about. The first was a decent hit worldwide, the character had a great presence in IW and great potential for a sequel. It’s 100% that we will see a second standalone film which will crush the first one at the box office.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, Zakiyyah6 said:

We'll get a sequel. After a while I kinda got the impression that Marvel expected Doctor Strange to be a bigger deal than it was. It was a hit of course, I'm not arguing against that. 

They will absolutely make a sequel to this.. its just an awkward time right now between IW and A4. The first one made over $670m WW and Strange will get probably the biggest post-Avengers interest boost.