grim22

Minions: The Rise of Gru | July 1, 2022 | Illumination

7 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Just wait and watch, this movie will cross 1B WW. 

You all are way underestimating the popularity of Minions. 

325m+ Dom 

750m+ OS

3-5 years ago, I would have agree with you. But the franchise has been out of the spotlight for 3 years and has seen a steady decline domestically. Moreover, we just saw a sequel to a major hit for Illumination fizzle out with The Secret Life of Pets 2.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JWR said:

3-5 years ago, I would have agree with you. But the franchise has been out of the spotlight for 3 years and has seen a steady decline domestically. Moreover, we just saw a sequel to a major hit for Illumination fizzle out with The Secret Life of Pets 2.

Slop1 to 2 like drop will give M2 145 dom and 495 os for 640 ww.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I always felt the franchise was going to hit an Ice Age style collapse eventually. The entire Minions slapstick gets old really fast. 

But I feel DM had better stay in conciousness of the public in a way Ice age didn't.

14 hours ago, a2k said:

felt i went 'optimistic' for M2 in the Soul over M2 club (as if to prove that even under-projecting Soul and over-projecting M2, Soul should win)

don't have a confident guess for os but say 40-45% down for 450-500 (gulp, still huge).

I don't really buy the SLOP 2 = Minions 2 thing.

Just because they're from the same company does not necessarily mean they will have the same fate.

Not sure if they are really comparable since they are two differant IPs.

Even Pets 1 (and 2) flopped in merchandize if i remember correctly so it didn't have long shelf life

Pets 2 also had a terrible releasing date and tons of family competition (TS4, TLK, Aladdin etc)

Edited by WayneBorg
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

I don't really buy the SLOP 2 = Minions 2 thing.

Just because they're from the same company does not necessarily mean they will have the same fate.

Not sure if they are really comparable since they are two differant IPs.

Even Pets 1 (and 2) flopped in merchandize if i remember correctly so it didn't have long shelf life

Pets 2 also had a terrible releasing date and tons of family competition (TS4, TLK, Aladdin etc)

Good points. SLOP was a surprise hit, nobody expected the 2nd to match it or get even close to it. While the DM franchise has seen better days in the US, there is no guarantee M2 will follow the pattern of DM2>M1>DM3.

The release date of DM3 was also quite unfortunate with Homecoming and Planet of the Apes opening on 2nd and 3rd weekend respectively.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WayneBorg said:

Given what Universal had announced for Bond (trailer 4 months before the film) and FF9 (trailer coming also 4 months only) and what Pixar did with TS4 (trailer only 4 months before), I don't think we will get an M2 trailer before March 2020.

Does this apply to every movie now? Oh, but you are referring only to trailers, what about Teasers? We can expect one for Minions?

23 hours ago, tupek said:

Does this apply to every movie now? Oh, but you are referring only to trailers, what about Teasers? We can expect one for Minions?

Universal seems to be applying this to the main movies they think can do well, such as FF9, Bond and Minions 2.

I think,, as per the article,,  they will not going to release a M2 trailer before March 2020.

• Like 1

Those predicting this is gonna fall hard, like "Below SLOP2" levels drop, are really underpredicting this. Minions are still huge with kids and moms on Facebook. Sure, there hasn't been a DM movie in 3 years, but unlike Pets, the Minions are a cultural icon (kinda a shame I'm saying that).

Going with 250 domestic, 850 worldwide. 

49 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Those predicting this is gonna fall hard, like "Below SLOP2" levels drop, are really underpredicting this. Minions are still huge with kids and moms on Facebook. Sure, there hasn't been a DM movie in 3 years, but unlike Pets, the Minions are a cultural icon (kinda a shame I'm saying that).

Going with 250 domestic, 850 worldwide. 

DM3 feel off domestically, I feel Minions 2 will only continue the pattern. WW will be rock solid though. Something like 175M-225M DOM and 790M-850M WW. I feel Soul and WW84 will hurt it but Minions 2 has an empty summer.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

20% drop form DM3 inevitable imo (which gives 211 dom).

Minions1 itself fell 10% from DM2 (understandable as a a spin-off), and Minions1 and DM3 didn't do the franchise any favors in reputability.

30% drop / 185 dom won't surprise me.