Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

36 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm bored enough to just make some predictions through February, if anyone would like to join :lol:

Split - 121M total

Resident Evil - 37M total

DogsPurpose - 55M total

Rings - 14/32

SpaceBetween Us - 8/20

Lego Batman - 58/200

50 Shades - 40/100

John Wick 22/60

Fist Fight - 21/59

Tye Great Wall - 18/45

Cure for Wellness - 11/28

Get Out - 16/40

I'm thinking bigger things for Lego Batman and 50 shades (at least OW). Get Out has me intrigued, but I have no idea how it will play with audiences.

• Like 1

I'm not sure T2 is going to do much business domestically but TBH it doesn't matter as it'll be a success in the UK and the budget is only $18m which it'll easily make back just from the home market, everywhere else is just gravy

Edited by Jonwo

23 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Do you think it's possible HF will finish above LLL in the end? 

You mean this weekend or in general? This weekend I think they 'll do similar numbers so it's 50/50 really, LLL is not gonna do 15m even with the expansion. But in the long run, if LLL is indeed gonna win almost every award up to oscar night, it will inevatebly have better holds and bumps along the way.

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

You mean this weekend or in general? This weekend I think they 'll do similar numbers so it's 50/50 really, LLL is not gonna do 15m even with the expansion. But in the long run, if LLL is indeed gonna win almost every award up to oscar night, it will inevatebly have better holds and bumps along the way.

in general 

27 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Resident Evil is a secretly great b-movie franchise and PWS Anderson is a secretly great b-movie director. Event Horizon, Pompeii and all the Resident Evils he directed are very good movies, and most of his other stuff are above average. His only movie that I found bad was that 3 Musketeers remake with Orlando Bloom.

I agree, they're all very good movies. I have immensely enjoyed every single Resident Evil movie and the first one they did in 3D was some of the better 3D work I've seen in any film, big budget or small budget. It actually took advantage of the medium, like Avatar had before, and wasn't just a cheap gimmick. I would give every Resident Evil movie a B+, they pretty much are all equal in quality to me, maybe I could rank them properly if I saw them again but it wouldn't matter much as I enjoyed them all about the same. Came out of each one thinking, well that was great (for an action / B-movie type), that was fun, can't wait to see more. Except this time, where I don't get more. I can't believe it has been so long since the last one honestly, my memory is turning to shit. I swear I thought the last one came out a few years ago because I remember it basically ended with a cliffhanger, so I was looking forward to this one. Then I looked now and realized it has been more than 4 years and I'm thinking huh?! Where the heck does the time go?

Maybe I'm just being unrealistic with my expectations, but why when a movie like Rogue One comes out and makes $29M from previews do people act like, yeah, that's pretty solid, thought it would be higher (I thought so too), but it's not a bad Thursday preview number. Then when something like Resident Evil comes out and makes an honestly completely pathetic amount like $1 million everyone and all of the trades say, "Good preview numbers for Resident Evil!" I feel like people adjust their expectations so wildly that the words "good" and "solid" don't even mean the same things, they just depend completely on expectations. I have seen this over and over again where even $600,000 was called "good" by Variety and I'm sitting here thinking, I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound "good." It sounds a lot like saying Tiger Woods shot a 77 today, which is terrible, but then when I shoot a 105, everyone is like, "Very good round for Jonathan!" Well, yeah, because I SUCK at golf and Tiger Woods is / was a great golfer. I feel like people are using absolute terms without qualifications, when it should read, "For what it is, $1 million is a good preview number for Resident Evil." "For a family film that doesn't do much business during previews, the crappy dog movie whose name already escaped me did alright."

Anything around $1 million is completely pathetic. That means about 100,000 people saw the fuckin' movie on preview night, so about 1 in 3,000 people in the U.S. (not even). I fail to see how that's good by any stretch of the imagination. How about, "Pretty solid for what was expected of this movie, which is absolutely nothing." That would be a more fitting and accurate description. If a movie makes $150M at the box office OW people call that great, which it is, but if it makes 30 times less than that -- $5 million -- people say it's incredibly shitty. A bomb of epic proportions. A laughable number that's an embarrassment to everyone involved. Yet the preview number for RE6 and xXx3 are about 30 times worse than Rogue One, and they get called "good" numbers? I guess I just don't "get" the definition as it is being used.

Maybe people just want to get excited about absolute mediocrity because there's nothing else TO be excited about this time of year, but unless I see previews over $5 million at least, I will not be calling them "good." I will call them what they are -- mediocre, pretty bad, poor, or pathetic depending how far under $5M they are. Just the same as when Resident Evil 6 makes $13 million this weekend or $15 million I'll call that what it is -- pretty bad / mediocre at best. I really enjoyed the movie, though, wishing it the best and all of that, but sadly at the domestic box office... it's not going to be a hit.

• Like 3

Jonathan, sis...

It's okay.

I feel they took too long with the release though understandable with the accident which happened. I also believe Retribution not being as strong as Afterlife has something to do with this drop too.

No worries though. The movie will still slay internationally.

ezDdteq.gif

15 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I agree, they're all very good movies. I have immensely enjoyed every single Resident Evil movie and the first one they did in 3D was some of the better 3D work I've seen in any film, big budget or small budget. It actually took advantage of the medium, like Avatar had before, and wasn't just a cheap gimmick. I would give every Resident Evil movie a B+, they pretty much are all equal in quality to me, maybe I could rank them properly if I saw them again but it wouldn't matter much as I enjoyed them all about the same. Came out of each one thinking, well that was great (for an action / B-movie type), that was fun, can't wait to see more. Except this time, where I don't get more. I can't believe it has been so long since the last one honestly, my memory is turning to shit. I swear I thought the last one came out a few years ago because I remember it basically ended with a cliffhanger, so I was looking forward to this one. Then I looked now and realized it has been more than 4 years and I'm thinking huh?! Where the heck does the time go?

Maybe I'm just being unrealistic with my expectations, but why when a movie like Rogue One comes out and makes $29M from previews do people act like, yeah, that's pretty solid, thought it would be higher (I thought so too), but it's not a bad Thursday preview number. Then when something like Resident Evil comes out and makes an honestly completely pathetic amount like $1 million everyone and all of the trades say, "Good preview numbers for Resident Evil!" I feel like people adjust their expectations so wildly that the words "good" and "solid" don't even mean the same things, they just depend completely on expectations. I have seen this over and over again where even $600,000 was called "good" by Variety and I'm sitting here thinking, I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound "good." It sounds a lot like saying Tiger Woods shot a 77 today, which is terrible, but then when I shoot a 105, everyone is like, "Very good round for Jonathan!" Well, yeah, because I SUCK at golf and Tiger Woods is / was a great golfer. I feel like people are using absolute terms without qualifications, when it should read, "For what it is, $1 million is a good preview number for Resident Evil." "For a family film that doesn't do much business during previews, the crappy dog movie whose name already escaped me did alright."

Anything around $1 million is completely pathetic. That means about 100,000 people saw the fuckin' movie on preview night, so about 1 in 3,000 people in the U.S. (not even). I fail to see how that's good by any stretch of the imagination. How about, "Pretty solid for what was expected of this movie, which is absolutely nothing." That would be a more fitting and accurate description. If a movie makes $150M at the box office OW people call that great, which it is, but if it makes 30 times less than that -- $5 million -- people say it's incredibly shitty. A bomb of epic proportions. A laughable number that's an embarrassment to everyone involved. Yet the preview number for RE6 and xXx3 are about 30 times worse than Rogue One, and they get called "good" numbers? I guess I just don't "get" the definition as it is being used.

Maybe people just want to get excited about absolute mediocrity because there's nothing else TO be excited about this time of year, but unless I see previews over $5 million at least, I will not be calling them "good." I will call them what they are -- mediocre, pretty bad, poor, or pathetic depending how far under $5M they are. Just the same as when Resident Evil 6 makes $13 million this weekend or $15 million I'll call that what it is -- pretty bad / mediocre at best. I really enjoyed the movie, though, wishing it the best and all of that, but sadly at the domestic box office... it's not going to be a hit.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I'm bored enough to just make some predictions through February, if anyone would like to join :lol:

Split - 121M total

Resident Evil - 37M total

DogsPurpose - 55M total

Rings - 14/32

SpaceBetween Us - 8/20

Lego Batman - 58/200

50 Shades - 40/100

John Wick 22/60

Fist Fight - 21/59

Tye Great Wall - 18/45

Cure for Wellness - 11/28

Get Out - 16/40

Spoiler

Split - 40/127

Resident Evil 6 - 15/34 

A Dog's Purpose - 19/68

Rings - 9/19

The Space Between Us - 5/12

The LEGO Batman Movie - 81/269 

50 Shades Darker - 46/102

John Wick - 21/57

Fist Fight - 28/84

The Great Wall - 22/51

A Cure for Wellness - 8/17

Get Out - 24/75

Rock Dog - 3/6

Logan - 85/257

The Shack - 13/50

Before I Fall - 4/8

Leap! - 4/11

Kong - 44/104

The Wall - 4/8

Beauty & the Beast - 159/578

Belko - 2/4

Power Rangers - 24/67

CHiPs - 22/71

Life - 16/53

Ghost in the Shell - 28/69

The Boss Baby - 18/62

The Zookeeper's Wife - 9/30

Step Sisters - 3/6

Smurfs - The Lost Village - 23/74

Going in Style - 19/88

The Case for Christ - 8/29

Wonder - 5/13

Sleight - 2/3

The Fate of the Furious - 122/273

Spark - 4/10

Unforgettable - 15/34

Born in China - 6/14

Free Fire - 3/5

The Circle - 13/44

Blumhouse Horror - 9/17 

How to be a Latin Lover - 6/15

GotG Vol. 2 - 156/405

Snatched - 31/114

King Arthur - 16/41

Lowriders - 3/5

Alien: Covenant - 65/163

Everything, Everything - 14/45

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - 8/25

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 62/166

Baywatch - 45/157

Wonder Woman - 103/252

Captain Underpants - 21/63

The Mummy - 47/120

Cars 3 - 64/219

Rock That Body - 17/66

All Eyez on Me - 7/16

Transformers: The Last Knight - 76/179

Despicable Me 3 - 106/321

The House - 34/108

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 137/384

War for the Planet of the Apes - 62/189

Bad Dads - 15/43

Midnight Sun - 9/24

Dunkirk - 54/243

Girls Trip - 27/116

Valerian - 7/17

The Dark Tower - 32/81

The Coldest City - 8/20

An Inconvenient Sequel - 6/25

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Luckily I have remained unspoiled. My body is ready for the supposed Shyamalan comeback. Didn't care too much for The Visit, but this looks like it's more in his wheelhouse.

It's a lot better than The Visit. I think you'll like it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Luckily I have remained unspoiled. My body is ready for the supposed Shyamalan comeback. Didn't care too much for The Visit, but this looks like it's more in his wheelhouse.

9 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

It's a lot better than The Visit. I think you'll like it.

Yeah, The Visit is awful. Split is legitimately great.

• Like 1

Meet Dave's nearly-decade long record (holy shit, has it been that long?) has fallen:

1 Live By Night 2,822 -2,659 163 - $10,175,852 1/13/17
2 Meet Dave 3,011 -2,523 488 -77.0% $11,803,254 7/11/08
3 Hardcore Henry 3,015 -2,496 519 -80.5% $9,252,038 4/08/16
4 Jonah Hex 2,825 -2,475 350 -92.4% $10,547,117 6/18/10
5 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2,931 -2,455 476 -88.0% $10,938,134 2/05/16
6 In the Heart of the Sea 3,103 -2,418 685 -72.3% $25,020,758 12/11/15
7 Mortdecai 2,648 -2,395 253 -90.4% $7,696,134 1/23/15
8 The Rocker 2,784 -2,375 409 -84.0% $6,409,528 8/20/08
9 MacGruber 2,546 -2,369 177 -93.7% $8,525,600 5/21/10
10 The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising 3,173 -2,338 835 -78.9% $8,794,452 10/05/07
  • Like 7