Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

I saw Airbender in theaters. It may have been the worst theatrical experience I've ever had in my life. People leaving to vomit because of the 3D, small children yelling at the screen, and alternating boos at various parts. There was a visceral hatred for the movie unlike anything I've ever seen in theaters.

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't know if Universal is just the distributor or they purchased rights for $ and a % but most of that money will probably be rolling toward Shamalyan.  He "self-financed Split for under $10 million to retain creative control".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/split-m-night-shyamalan-how-his-5-million-gamble-set-him-free-965493

Could he get more profit from this than he did with some of his bigger hits?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Image result for and you are gif

I'm the dude laughing my ass off at you while Rogue One makes history and smashes box office records, and is both a commercial AND a critical success.  

:lol:

Edited by ldb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldb said:

I'm the dude laughing my ass off at you while Rogue One makes history and smashes box office records, and is both a commercial AND a critical success.  

Cool. Doesn't change the fact that I think Rogue One is a bland movie with dull protagonists :) 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ldb said:

Split is also making history and is both a critical/commercial success, just on a lower level than RO.  Your point?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

What is it with January and the horror genre? I think there might be more horror successes in January than in October. 

College kids are back to school after break with very little to do both in class (no tests/no papers) and in public (most group outdoor stuff is too cold to do in 50-75% of DOM).  Horror movies are one of the few fun group activities in Jan...

15 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't know if Universal is just the distributor or they purchased rights for $ and a % but most of that money will probably be rolling toward Shamalyan.  He "self-financed Split for under $10 million to retain creative control".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/split-m-night-shyamalan-how-his-5-million-gamble-set-him-free-965493

Best news out of this event. 

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Cool. Doesn't change the fact that I think Rogue One is a bland movie with dull protagonists :) 

Bland? Did we watch the same movie?

BEAfm2O.gif

Spoiler

MyQOJDa.gif

Plus RO is extremely relevant for the times we're living in. It makes the movie 5x more powerful.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Bland? Did we watch the same movie?

BEAfm2O.gif

MyQOJDa.gif

Plus RO is extremely relevant for the times we're living in. It makes the movie 5x more powerful.

Well, you used a gif of a shot that's not even in the movie :redcapes: Rogue One is a movie that relies on nostalgia and goodwill built on previous entries in the series and brings almost nothing new or noteworthy to the table. It's cool to see Darth Vader mow down some rebels, but that's the penultimate scene of the movie and a short moment. None of the new characters are interesting, and when the movie asks for the audience to care for them in emotional moments, I felt nothing because of how poorly developed they were. The Force Awakens relied on nostalgia too, but that film at least introduced exciting new characters. It speaks measure when the best character in the film appears for only two scenes.

• Like 3