Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

Star wars is not my thing, but i think people don't like the Boyega pairing because he's not traditionally handsome like Will Smith or Chadwick Boseman. those guys are good looking and smith is loved all over the world. same will be with Boseman. i doubt anybody has a problem with his casting in black panther

Edited by Alli

16 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

The best "theme" of the year was in Kubo...it might have been a "wannabe" blockbuster that kinda failed, but that movie caused one to think on the ending, and not just feel totally hit over the head with obvious "messaging".  If anything, you spent the end wondering if the right choice was made, if you would have made the same choice, if you should make the same choice, and if, when you make the choice, you should make it for the grandparent or the grandchild or the society writ large

What choice are you referring to? The only thing I can think of is the decision to lie to Kubo's grandfather - but I didn't spend a moment wondering if that was the right choice or not. Perhaps there's another choice made that I'm missing?

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Star wars is not my thing, but i think people don't like the Boyega pairing because he's not traditionally handsome like Will Smith or Chadwick Boseman. those guys are good looking and smith is loved all over the world. same will be with Boseman. i doubt anybody has a problem with his casting

Bosman and Smith are legit handsome, effortless star charismas and great actors. Boyega is the total opposite. Now, his character, being just a dumb comic relief, didn't have to be like Bosman/Smith/MBJ. But did he have to be so annoying? 

@Xavier Cookie FTW! :wave:

Kubo is just another over rated animated film with the same kind of conundrums most films go through.  Except it's disguised in fairy tale land and that's supposed to make it deep and meaningful.  Armageddon explored similar themes....films from the 1930's have as well.  It's not like it's anything new.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Bosman and Smith are legit handsome, effortless star charismas and great actors. Boyega is the total opposite. Now, his character, being just a dumb comic relief, didn't have to be like Bosman/Smith/MBJ. But did he have to be so annoying? 

@Xavier Cookie FTW! :wave:

He was far from comic relief and he was the character who took the most risk, suffered perhaps more than anyone and was more brave than anyone else as well.  He was far from annoying.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

Valonquar has an obvious bias  against black actors and characters and hes annoying as hell. I wish people would stop replying to him cause then I still have to see his posts. 

Like he's literally said Hollywood shouldn't put black people in their films because international audiences can't relate. Like literally. I have no time for his BS. 

Also......FURIOUS SEVEN?!?!?!

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

He was far from comic relief and he was the character who took the most risk, suffered perhaps more than anyone and was more brave than anyone else as well.  He was far from annoying.

I respect the take on the character that's opposite from mine. I just cannot bring myself to watch his scenes and maybe revise the opinion yet. Maybe if rumored improvement to the character in TLJ  turns out true I will go back and watch in retrospect and see progression. 

28 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Valonquar was literally just criticizing Hidden Figrues like a few weeks ago now he is calling Taraji "queen Taraji"  lmao 

It wasn't until it was becoming apparent that Hidden Figures was gonna make $100M that he changed his tune for it from negative to positive (because any movie that makes oodles of money is automatically good and anything that doesn't carry a $100M+ budget is automatically bad or "pretentious"). Just read some of the nonsense he's posted today in the awards threads. No one's buying what you're selling, man, even in this day and age of "alternative facts."

• Like 7

Nah I think Rey ends up with Snoke. 

Lol, honestly I have no idea why anyone cares at all. Shit even my girlfriend doesn't care whether Rey "ends up with" anyone, and you're all gossiping like a bunch of girls at wine night whether the strong female protagonist ends up with this guy or that guy? She doesn't need no man, she has a lightsaber! :P

PS: Fans don't like Finn, they don't like C-3PO? What a bunch of fucking idiot comments. Get out of here with that shit, my god, Threepio is one of the most loved characters in Star Wars! When you have seen the SW movies more than 200 times in theaters and written a couple of books on them, tell you what, you can make some ridiculous claims and maybe I'll give them half a second of consideration. But since you're completely out of your mind with inane comments like that, you should probably troll another forum. It's outright trolling to say Threepio isn't a well liked character. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Nah I think Rey ends up with Snoke. 

Lol, honestly I have no idea why anyone cares at all. Shit even my girlfriend doesn't care whether Rey "ends up with" anyone, and you're all gossiping like a bunch of girls at wine night whether the strong female protagonist ends up with this guy or that guy? She doesn't need no man, she has a lightsaber! :P

PS: Fans don't like Finn, they don't like C-3PO? What a bunch of fucking idiot comments. Get out of here with that shit, my god, Threepio is one of the most loved characters in Star Wars! When you have seen the SW movies more than 200 times in theaters and written a couple of books on them, tell you what, you can make some ridiculous claims and maybe I'll give them half a second of consideration. But since you're completely out of your mind with inane comments like that, you should probably troll another forum. It's outright trolling to say Threepio isn't a well liked character. 

My bad that I didn't write In My Opinion when I named 3 worst characters. I thought it went without saying but I guess not. 3PO is popular. he annoys me a lot but I'll give it to him that he's popular. Having a different opinion isn't trolling. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

RE opening lower than Underworld domestically is pretty rotten.

Selene >>>>>>>> Alice and Lycans >>>>>>>>>> Zombies in the U.S.

It also happened in 2012. It is not a novelty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

What choice are you referring to? The only thing I can think of is the decision to lie to Kubo's grandfather - but I didn't spend a moment wondering if that was the right choice or not. Perhaps there's another choice made that I'm missing?

It's entire ending deals with justice vs fairness, forgiveness vs vengeance, and the whole question of identity both for yourself and in society (who are you - the sum of your actions?  the sum of your thoughts?  the sum of what people tell you or think of you?  the sum of what your know/remember?)...what do you tell the equivalent of Hitler when he wakes up a feeble old man with no memory?  what do you do?  It's like a question few could ever answer...but the movie went there...

Let alone the imagery of "being blind" (ie - taking your eyes out) so you can't see the goodness in people, enabling you to perpetually do them harm and for you to live into perpetuity...and yet at the end, grandfather is still blind since he had no eyes, but good is done onto him, good he never deserved but was given freely by people he had just harmed...

I could keep going (I haven't even gotten into the final ending with the lanterns) - the movie is deep and powerful in a way I never expected when I took my kids and saw it at a cheap theater - it wildly exceeded my expectations from the preview (as it did for my kids who gave it an A+, their only A+ for the year)...it caused me to think...and I can honestly say there's not a Disney, Pixar, Illuminations movie that has done that for me pretty much ever...  

And I will admit on the final scene, I teared up...again, not a movie this year that brought me close to tears, but this one did...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Kubo is just another over rated animated film with the same kind of conundrums most films go through.  Except it's disguised in fairy tale land and that's supposed to make it deep and meaningful.  Armageddon explored similar themes....films from the 1930's have as well.  It's not like it's anything new.

Great production values hide the fact that it's just the same old stuff that other movies did. I don't really know why people called it so original.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3