Jake Gittes

Phantom Thread | P.T. Anderson '50s Fashion Drama | Daniel Day-Lewis IS Reynolds Woodcock | Christmas 2017

full press release

Spoiler

LOS ANGELES, February 1st, 2017 – Production has begun in the U.K. on writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson’s untitled new film. Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis is joined in the cast by Lesley Manville, who was a BAFTA Award nominee for Best Actress for Another Year, and Vicky Krieps, whose films include A Most Wanted Man and Focus Features’ Hanna.

Focus holds worldwide rights to the film, and will distribute the film in the U.S. later this year with Universal Pictures handling international distribution.

The film’s producers are JoAnne Sellar, Megan Ellison, through her Annapurna Pictures, and Paul Thomas Anderson. The executive producers are Peter Heslop, Adam Somner, and Daniel Lupi. Chelsea Barnard and Jillian Longnecker are overseeing production for Annapurna.

Continuing their creative collaboration following 2007’s There Will Be Blood, which earned Mr. Day-Lewis the Best Actor Academy Award, Mr. Anderson will once again explore a distinctive milieu of the 20th century. The new movie is a drama set in the couture world of 1950s London. The story illuminates the life behind the curtain of an uncompromising dressmaker commissioned by royalty and high society.

The creative team includes Academy Award-winning costume designer Mark Bridges, marking his eighth consecutive project with Mr. Anderson; Emmy Award-winning production designer Mark Tildesley and BAFTA Award-nominated set decorator Véronique Melery; Academy Award-nominated film editor Dylan Tichenor, and BAFTA Award-nominated composer Jonny Greenwood, each marking their fourth feature with Mr. Anderson; casting director Cassandra Kulukundis, on her seventh film with Mr. Anderson; and lighting cameraman Michael Bauman.

interesting no DP listed. rumors going around that Anderson is actually doing that himself on this project. Elswit busy w/ new dan gilroy movie shooting soon.

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Master basically felt to me like it was trying to do way too much and was never quite focused enough, leading to some incredible individual scenes but a frustrating whole. (This was four years ago so there's still a chance I'll see the light). Whereas in Inherent Vice the shagginess became easier to roll with on every additional viewing, because you recognize paranoia and mistrust as a central theme, plus PTA had a fantastic source material as a guide and instead of creating a big story from scratch he actually had to cut things out. Plus its humor and wistful atmosphere and and overall warmth all make it more inviting than The Master. Every time I rewatched it I laughed more and more, sometimes at nothing more than the timing of an edit or at any given line delivery.

Agree with everything you said about Inherent Vice. Well put. I think, however, that The Master works much the same way. Some themes are the confusion of young men and longing to sort it all out in a post-war world, and the filmmaking and frustrating lack of resolution at all turns reflects that confusion. I hit me like an IMAX movie (without the need for IMAX) on first viewing.

English is not my mother tongue.

I have absolutely no clue how to convey my idea with other words.

I  sincerely apologize, guys.

I'm trying to think of a better word to use, but I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I really thought you meant to say "artistic". Either way, it would be some nonsense comment.

• Like 1

I liked Inherent Vice, but reading the book and knowing the story beforehand helped a lot. While there is some humour to be derived from being as lost as the protagonist — a la The Big Lebowski — I think it would have become too trying for that movie.

Anyway, excited to see PTA's vision of 50s Britain.

32 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I understand. Just in the future, understand that using mental illness in an insulting manner is quite in bad form.

• Like 6

Adjusting for inflation, Paul BO output looks like this:

Boogie Nights -$49,752,800       
    There Will Be Blood-$48,464,000     

Magnolia-$36,097,300     
    Punch-Drunk Love-$26,566,700     
    The Master-$17,861,200      
    Inherent Vice-$8,622,700    
    Hard Eight-$419,400     

Hopefully this film will do solid business so that he can continue to make such spontaneously films. 

Edited by Philip Marlow

Just now, boomboom234 said:

There we go so as he is not fluent autistic could be his atempt to use it as a description 

yea futurist goes on some wild rants but I don't think he'd intentionally put down the disabled. He apologized when it happened tho

• Like 2