cannastop

The Lion King (1994)

On 11/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, La Binoche said:

Its November 1994 re-release is so odd and interesting. The way they pulled it from theaters after Summer and then re-released it to strong grosses in the Winter... 

Up until the late 90s, it was not uncommon for films to go to second-run theaters several months after they were released (kind of what discount/dollar theaters are today, but more widespread). I remember as a kid, this would happen quite a lot for popular films, including all of the Disney Renaissance. I'm guessing that's what the November 1994 numbers are from.

6 hours ago, Jawa said:

Up until the late 90s, it was not uncommon for films to go to second-run theaters several months after they were released (kind of what discount/dollar theaters are today, but more widespread). I remember as a kid, this would happen quite a lot for popular films, including all of the Disney Renaissance. I'm guessing that's what the November 1994 numbers are from.

No, they actually pulled The Lion King from theaters and re-issued it in the same year.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, La Binoche said:

Its November 1994 re-release is so odd and interesting. The way they pulled it from theaters after Summer and then re-released it to strong grosses in the Winter... 

I was a big fan of the Lion King movie that year, and followed stories about it in the papers at the time. My recollection was that the reason they gave for pulling it and then re-releasing around Thanksgiving was they were timing it to (a) kids going back to school at the end of summer, and then (b) kids being out of school for the holidays. So they pulled it because they anticipated box office dropping off significantly as kids went back to school, and felt that they could squeeze more end-run box office out of it by putting it back out there during the holiday breaks.

Also, I saw LK during both its original summer run and then again during the holiday run. The holiday run featured a big promo for "Pocahontas", kind of like what they are doing now with the Frozen short that runs before CoCo. IIRC, the promo wasn't that long, but it was longer than your typical two-minute trailer. So they were using the LK re-release to promote Pocahontas as well.

Anyway, that's all just from memory but I think it's accurate.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 3

Adjusted $818mil

I can see the remake getting to 75% ($613m). The Lion King's run was amazing and was one of the first boxoffice runs I started tracking. I think a huge factor in its success was that soundtrack (I Can't Wait to be King, Be Prepared, Circle of Life, Can You Feel the Love and Hakuna Matata). The Disney renaissance at its apex. I remember sitting in theaters, older than its core audience, yet enraptured. As were many people in theaters during that summer. The fact that it did so well alongside another four-quadrant monster hit (Forrest Gump - $721m adj) should not be overlooked. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:20 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The only goal it has left....(if it ever happens in the future)...is yet another theatrical re-release for the $1B WW-trophy.

Jurassic Park got to over $1B WW with a re-release. So i bet Disney could do something to give this the extra cash.

That's a bit far fetched.

@cannastop @Jiffy 

The Lion King :-

UK :- 23 Million pounds (Original Run)

Germany :- 56 Million Euro (94 , 02 & 11 All 3 Runs ) Admissions :- 11.8 Million

France :- Only Admissions 11.6 Million

Netherlands :- Only Admissions 2.5 Million 

That's it ....  :D  I Only Know About These Countries ...  :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunny Max said:

@cannastop @Jiffy 

Germany :- 56 Million Euro (94 , 02 & 11 All 3 Runs ) Admissions :- 11.8 Million

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 8:20 PM, SteveJaros said:

Between the nearly $1 Billion in movie box office, the 15 million Soundtrack copies sold, the nearly 60 million vhs/dvd/blurays sold (an untouchable record), and the $3 Billion in licensed merchandise sold over the years, the Lion King is arguably the single most profitable movie of all time.

Oh, and the play it spawned has done $6 Billion in business, the #1 play of all time.

Sheesh!

BTW, since i posted this over two years ago, the Lion King musical's gross revenue has risen to $8.2 Billion.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 12:17 PM, Sunny Max said:

@cannastop @Jiffy 

Spain:

€20,365,244

#49 all time (it ranked #1 in gross until Titanic)

#12 all time among animated films

6,319,833 admissions

#13 all time (it ranked #5 in admissions after its initial release)

#1 all time among animated films

Italy:

4,018,061 admissions

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, peludo said:

Spain:

€20,365,244

#49 all time (it ranked #1 in gross until Titanic)

#12 all time among animated films

6,319,833 admissions

#13 all time (it ranked #5 in admissions after its initial release)

#1 all time among animated films

Italy:

4,018,061 admissions

Astonishing Performance In Spain ... 😮  Woww ... 

1 hour ago, Sunny Max said:

Astonishing Performance In Spain ... 😮  Woww ... 

It is the most beloved animated film ever here. And the musical version is still being showed in Madrid after nearly 8 years. It is far rom being my favorite animated film, but it is obvious that Spain ADORES TLK. We can expect enormous figures for the remake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peludo said:

It is the most beloved animated film ever here. And the musical version is still being showed in Madrid after nearly 8 years. It is far rom being my favorite animated film, but it is obvious that Spain ADORES TLK. We can expect enormous figures for the remake.

Yeah Remake Will Be Deadly At Spanish BO .... Expecting Massive Numbers ... I think not Only in Spain .. Rest European Markets Will Also Be Huge