aabattery

Waterworld (1995) | Starring Kevin Costner of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman fame

I don’t care what anyone says, love this movie.  Excellent Mad Max ripoff.  It ranked well even the Mad Max legacy.  Sure, Road Warrior is better, Fury Road stomped it...but it’s solid entertainment and the money...it’s on the screen.  I can see it and I love it.

I remember the sunken set piece was a major reason for the financial problems incl the delays being problematic for cast and crew too (plus the costs for the substitute version, changes for practical reasons incl even to ferry in each of the not planned material, at least some weren't available in Hawaii =  ferry in means partly fly it in to Hawaii, than ferry it to the sets) , and the general weather conditions partly not being fun.

The reason for the sunk set piece was a hurricane if I remember it right.

Bad press beforehand I too can remember

I can't remember if it was my circle of  friends or commentators at magazines, but I read/heard also opinions like: after a while press.... loves to overreact negatively about a 'peak' person /celeb whatever after a while.

As in, yes, there are/were problems, but the style of reporting / wording is/was out if proportion.

Another point was underestimation  of effort... needed for e.g. transfer of the even the simplest things, cast/crew need to eat, drink get sun-protection, cables/connectors/cameras/power sources/.... need to be of the salt water resistant version/making, ....

1000s little details that vary from an average set with existing logistic

to some minor degree maybe per point, but in the sum not minor:

not a lot of experienced ppl for filming on / very near to salt water, part of the crew not having movie making experienced at all, communication mistakes between them and professionals and so on

Personally I think it's a decent enough film, not great, not bad, but has some rather unusual visuals (?) / set pieces, water..., action, and some unique details and so on to make it stand up at least a bit above the average mass of movies released till today, means better to watch on the big screen for e.g. it's wide views and so on, still a nice movie to watch every decade or so at home too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

attention Waterworld fans. Arrow is giving this a brand new special edition Blu ray with a new 4K transfer and actual behind the scenes stuff

TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, presenting the film in three cuts

• Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio options 

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing 

• Six collector’s postcards 

• Double-sided fold-out poster 

• Limited edition 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by David J. Moore and Daniel Griffith, archival articles and original reviews

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper

DISC ONE – THE THEATRICAL CUT

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the original theatrical cut 

• Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage 

• Original archival featurette capturing the film’s production 

• Global Warnings, film critic Glenn Kenny explores the subgenre of ecologically aware Hollywood blockbusters

• Production and promotional stills gallery 

• Visual effects stills gallery 

• Original trailers and TV spots

DISC TWO – THE EXTENDED CUTS [LIMTED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended US TV cut, which runs over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical cut

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended European “Ulysses” cut, which includes censored shots and dialogue

THIS IS A PREORDER DISC THAT IS DUE TO BE RELEASED ON OR ABOUT 12/11/2018

ALL ITEMS ORDERED TOGETHER WILL BE CHARGED AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER

AND SHIP TOGETHER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK. PLEASE PLACE MULTIPLE

ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE ITEMS SHIPPED AS THEY ARRIVE

WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR THE CANCELLATION OF ANY PREORDER

ALL DETAILS, INCLUDING RELEASE DATE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=310351

This has been an amusing read.  From what I remember everything that could have gone wrong went wrong, and the budget went from 100 to 175.  Obvious things that went into it:

Costner-13 million (Wyatt Earp was the only misfire up to that point, and that film only famously came about when Costner left Tombstone and the films were released too close together)

Hopper - 8 million (Right off of Speed)

Production was halted 6 times.  2 for hurricane warnings, 1 for an actual hurricane destroying sets that needed to be rebuilt, then scrapped in favor of rewrites, bringing in another writer on site for almost 2 months.  Then Costner almost died, Reynolds left the production, and entire subplots were reshot or removed from the final cut.  The budget ballooned mostly from that and the fact that the shooting schedule went from 100 days to 157 days.  The composer was fired as well.

• Like 1

It looks nice in 4K. It's an OK film, but one better appreciates now how in that pre-green screen world they had to tactile do everything and from shooting in the middle of the ocean to stuntmen riding jet skis galore that's aged nicely. I would almost call it an "interesting failure" except it's more watchable than that.