grim22

Speed (1994) | Jan De Bont | Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock

Going into the Summer who would have thought Speed would beat Blown Away.  Blown Away appeared to be the more serious film with Tommy Lee Jones coming off the Fugitive versus what seemed like just another Die Hard Clone starring Ted.

So glad I finally stopped being a movie snob and saw Speed which is easily in my top 5 favorite movies and the movie I have seen the most (that or Die Hard).

Edited by jimisawesome

18 hours ago, a2knet said:

Have watched Speed innumerable times. Bullock was the star imo - both strong and realistically vulnerable in the situation. Editing was brilliant.

Looking at recent times Unstoppable was really well done too (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=unstoppable.htm).

Yup she's the one who makes the movie pop. I mean Keanu can't act to save his life. Love him and his movies but yeah. 

• Like 1

Cool article in the AV Club from earlier this year https://film.avclub.com/keanu-reeves-boards-a-bus-that-can-t-slow-down-for-one-1798257725

Instead, Speed wins for 1994 because it’s the most iconic movie of its year, the one that best displayed what a great pop spectacle a mid-budget action movie could be. They don’t make them like that anymore. They’ve pretty much stopped trying.

But the movie really won the lottery with Sandra Bullock, who was pretty close to being a complete unknown before Speed. (She’d had big roles in Demolition Man and Love Potion No. 9, but that was really it.) Bullock is so good in Speed, tough and capable and fun and charming and vulnerable. She gets to be the hero for much of it, driving the bus and talking Reeves through it when he finds out his partner’s been killed. And the movie’s honestly pretty shitty final act still manages not to fall apart mostly because we don’t want to see her get blown to bits.