Neo

The Great Wall | February 17, 2017 | Releasing in China in December

On 10/8/2016 at 0:43 PM, MrPink said:

Looks like a disaster of white man savior cliches, but FUCK, it's white man goes to Asia plot.

I'M IN

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, Zhang Yi Mou. On the other, very disappointed the Great Wall was not built to keep Matt Damon out. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Sam said:

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, Zhang Yi Mou. On the other, very disappointed the Great Wall was not built to keep Matt Damon out. 

I laughed.  Then I thought...there's an unfortunate Trump joke here...but Damon is white so I dunno what it is.

Nonetheless this looks fun.  Yes white guy, but on the other hand Matt Damon is starring in a stupid over the top Chinese action movie.  Really, that's what this looks like.  And yes, lots of their action movies are absurd.  But still, it looks like a Chinese movie (with a white guy)...so...Damon bringing Chinese movies to the US?  Not like this would be released elsewhere without him.  Faint praise Thoguh. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think Chinese audience won’t like this film because of the actress Jing Tian(景甜)

No, this is totally wrong.

No one in China really hates her. Only on the internet does she ocasionally get slammed for not deserving all the fame and that her acting is very meh and she's getting all these major roles in major films only because she's backed up by some powerful people. There're quite amount of praise towards her on the internet as well, such as her remaining very low-key comparing to a lot of others such as Fan Bingbing that uses a shit load of ugly publicity stunts.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 11:16 AM, Macleod said:

Kind of ironic, considering no one in American goes to see Chinese films anyway...it's not like most Americans open themselves up to diverse cultures much...true irony, considering how we were founded.

I'll just quote myself here for kicks.  I saw one of the trailers for this in the theater the other night, and it got snickers from the audiences.  I really find it odd.  What's their problem?  Like American general audiences would actually go see a Chinese production on its own, without any major American star?  Like they even know much about Chinese history, or the separation between Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China, for instance?  There were never traders/international explorers crossing borders?  Plus, it's pretty clear that it's a FANTASY.  I find it hilarious that audiences seem all too ready to shit on this film without even giving it a chance...to me, this speaks to a bit of xenophobia, and rejection of Damon for "going to the other side."  Granted...these kinds of films haven't worked too well in the past, and yes, Zhang Yimou's 'Flowers of War' with Bale was pretty morose and disappointing...but I can understand why Damon and Zhang are kind of pissed at people in America dismissing this before they even see it. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'll just quote myself here for kicks.  I saw one of the trailers for this in the theater the other night, and it got snickers from the audiences.  I really find it odd.  What's their problem?  Like American general audiences would actually go see a Chinese production on its own, without any major American star?  Like they even know much about Chinese history, or the separation between Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China, for instance?  There were never traders/international explorers crossing borders?  Plus, it's pretty clear that it's a FANTASY.  I find it hilarious that audiences seem all too ready to shit on this film without even giving it a chance...to me, this speaks to a bit of xenophobia, and rejection of Damon for "going to the other side."  Granted...these kinds of films haven't worked too well in the past, and yes, Zhang Yimou's 'Flowers of War' with Bale was pretty morose and disappointing...but I can understand why Damon and Zhang are kind of pissed at people in America dismissing this before they even see it. 

Yup, people are pretty dismissive of this, I expect a big flop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Like American general audiences would actually go see a Chinese production on its own, without any major American star? 

Agree with this, 100%.

Like they even know much about Chinese history, or the separation between Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China, for instance?  There were never traders/international explorers crossing borders? 

I'm reasonably familiar with Chinese history and I don't see what difference any of this makes, especially regarding Hong Kong and Taiwan. I don't think American audiences in general are objecting to Matt Damon or even seeing a white guy in medieval China. Asian-Americans are, but that's more because of the white savior trope than because of a white guy being present at all.

I find it hilarious that audiences seem all too ready to shit on this film without even giving it a chance...to me, this speaks to a bit of xenophobia, and rejection of Damon for "going to the other side." 

I don't think it's xenophobia by itself. I get the impression that American audiences are pretty skeptical of live-action fantasy films that aren't based off of existing properties. The highest-grossing original film on the BOM fantasy list appears to be Immortals ($83.5M). Part of the problem may be that fantasy films tend to be made off of existing properties more so than other genres, but there does seem to be a very strong relationship between the gross of fantasy films and the popularity of the existing property they're based off of. As for Matt Damon, if anything I think that's the only reason most Americans will consider seeing this film.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2