Neo

The Great Wall | February 17, 2017 | Releasing in China in December

This will be big in China, but it will have hard time cracking 90 million domestically. The movie will most likely leak out before US/WW release.

Frankly, I don't like such kind of movies in which majority of the cast is Asian with 2-3 white folks. They stick out like a sore thumb. Should have been purely East Asian actors.

There are more interesting movies coming out in November and December, so I will pass this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This will be big in China, but it will have hard time cracking 90 million domestically. The movie will most likely leak out before US/WW release.

Frankly, I don't like such kind of movies in which majority of the cast is Asian with 2-3 white folks. They stick out like a sore thumb. Should have been purely East Asian actors.

There are more interesting movies coming out in November and December, so I will pass this.

90 million? I was thinking 10m.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

90 million? I was thinking 10m.

10m? That would be a huge fail and all those work for nothing;).

The movie is trying hard to get some international appeal, but if it ends up having to rely completely on Chinese market , they would have been better off making a Chinese centric film with way less money spent. 

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

if this is china's most expensive film it got me wondering how much matt damon must've been paid.

A LOTTA MOOLAH. 

I expect this to "severely underperform," a la Flowers of War.  Is this a mix of English and Chinese language?   These "cultural co-production" things almost never work (and I'm a fan of Yimou)...at least the Chinese ones don't.

Edited by Macleod