Neo

The Great Wall | February 17, 2017 | Releasing in China in December

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This whole thing gives me big time The Last Samurai vibes. Which actually turned out to be a fairly enjoyable box office hit. 

Its almost like...this is a movie Edward Zwick almost directed.

What can I say...Yimou is a good director.  And I like over the top Chinese fantasy.  League of Gods?  Can't wait.  Kung Fu fucking Baby.  I'm in.

This movie?  I expect Warcraft style China to US returns.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Do these people realize that this is a Chinsse financed film and is made by a Chinese filmmaker? They clearly have no problem with Damon starring in this movie. Damon probably is well liked just as much there as in the US considering the popularity of the Martian and Bourne Series there. Jesus imagine all the think pieces there would be if Last Samurai came out today. Which made over 100 m in Japan. A bunch of people complaining on others behalf.

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Do these people realize that this is a Chinsse financed film and is made by a Chinese filmmaker? They clearly have no problem with Damon starring in this movie. Damon probably is well liked just as much there as in the US considering the popularity of the Martian and Bourne Series there. Jesus imagine all the think pieces there would be if Last Samurai came out today. Which made over 100 m in Japan. A bunch of people complaining on others behalf.

Constance wu is Taiwnese... how is she complaining on other people's behalf? People have different opinions. 

the story was written by Americans and then the Chinese director came on. i dont fault him for trying to make money but doesnt make the story less problematic. He's made movies before about the white guy saving the day so he probably doesn't care but it's a questionable story. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, John Marston said:

If this movie is produced by China then they clearly don't mind having Matt Damon star. Why are people  mad? 

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It's kinda weird that you're speaking of the Chinese people as a nebulous "they"

The thinkpieces are gonna be dumb but "A Chinese production company's making it so everyone in China is cool with it" is equally dumb

• Like 2

17 hours ago, John Marston said:

If this movie is produced by China then they clearly don't mind having Matt Damon star. Why are people  mad? 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I imagine that Chinese people living in China wouldn't be bothered by this because they have plenty of films that cast Chinese actors as the hero. From what I've read, Asian-Americans are upset because they feel that Hollywood productions cast only white people as the heroes, even in this instance where it would make a lot more sense for the hero to be Chinese.

Everyone I'm personally aware of who has complained about this film is not complaining on anyone else's behalf. (I'm not saying there aren't any non-Asians complaining as well, but they're definitely not the majority). Constance Wu is almost certainly of Han Chinese ethnicity, as are my friends and family who are offended by this. Unless you feel that only citizens of the People's Republic of China have a right to feel offended by this, and not people of Chinese heritage who are living elsewhere?

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Don't bash the critics, its that normal people are just easier to please. 

straight up my little sister and mom like almost every movie they watch. You can only tell by how they express the word good, but its always the same. 

The average person doesn't watch 150 new releases a year. If they did Im sure they might be a tad tougher too. 

Honestly critics are mostly* on point. I may not always agree but I always understand where they are coming from and I can't think of one major movie in the last 5 years that the RT score was way off I thought, personally. 

Its funny, every superhero movie you guys consider to be one of the "best" ever all have RT score above like 88 don't they? 

Not me. I get your point though.

The one thing that separates this from Yimou's 'Flowers of War' (with Christian Bale) is that 'Flowers' was an attempt to tell a story rooted significantly in true historical events (even though the Japanese govt. denies the 'Rape of Nanking', and Bale was playing a fictional character "based on elements" of John Rabe). 

This...seems like pure fantasy/horror in the Chinese historical fantasy-sense (though taking place in a portion of real history?), from what we can see so far...

Edited by Macleod

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I imagine that Chinese people living in China wouldn't be bothered by this because they have plenty of films that cast Chinese actors as the hero. From what I've read, Asian-Americans are upset because they feel that Hollywood productions cast only white people as the heroes, even in this instance where it would make a lot more sense for the hero to be Chinese.

Everyone I'm personally aware of who has complained about this film is not complaining on anyone else's behalf. (I'm not saying there aren't any non-Asians complaining as well, but they're definitely not the majority). Constance Wu is almost certainly of Han Chinese ethnicity, as are my friends and family who are offended by this. Unless you feel that only citizens of the People's Republic of China have a right to feel offended by this, and not people of Chinese heritage who are living elsewhere?

Exactly. People who live in Asia are not bothered as much by white washing and white savior trope because they don't deal with white supremacy as much in Asia and they have movie with Asian leads. it's Asian Americans who are and they certainly have a right to be due to the way Asians are depicted by Hollywood regularly. Constance Wu is actually Asian-american so she's not complaining on anyone's behalf. 

• Like 2