Neo

The Great Wall | February 17, 2017 | Releasing in China in December

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

And so it begins

I've really enjoyed Constance Wu speaking her mind about Holllywood inequities in the past (great interview she did with Vulture last month), but does she really believe that this movie's "reason" The Great Wall was built (to keep out monsters) is "based in actual fact"?   This movie is pure fantasy, from my understanding.  I understand her point, but...could she at least wait to see the film before commenting on its content?  We have no idea how it plays out... 

I found this interesting nugget from a Variety piece:

"The film is a period action spectacular with sci-fi elements and a massive plot twist."

For all we know, Damon's character could be killed off halfway through, allowing Andy Lau's character to take the lead in defeating the threat...we just don't know yet!

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Why is Matt Damon in this movie in the first place? I saw the trailer in theaters today for the first time and I literally said "why is there a white Caucasian in this movie?" out loud.  He better be fucking Marco Polo or some shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Why is Matt Damon in this movie in the first place? I saw the trailer in theaters today for the first time and I literally said "why is there a white Caucasian in this movie?" out loud.  He better be fucking Marco Polo or some shit.

To sell the movie to western audiences.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:06 PM, cookie said:

Yeah it's not like he takes up the entire poster or anythi-

220px-The_Great_Wall_%28film%29.png

Oh.

OMG this is so embarrassing. "17500 years to build. 5500 miles long. What were they trying to keep out? Matt Damon."

Someone needs to be fired.

• Like 2

The trailer is intriguing...but that poster is awful, like just...for fucks sake.

My idea for a teaser poster would be to show a wide shot of the wall itself, provide subtle hints at the monster that they're trying to keep out or whatever, and have the tagline be something cheesy that also hooks you at the same time.  Something like "It was built for a reason."

The marketing for this movie will be different depending on where its featured.

I love the fact this movie is bringing together eastern and western cinema on such a large scale.  This is a highly anticipated movie for me...even still...it reminds me of that Chapelle Show sketch with Paul Mooney LMAO

Director Zhang Yimou says that there is no "whitewashing" in The Great Wall:

In many ways The Great Wall is the opposite of what is being suggested. For the first time, a film deeply rooted in Chinese culture, with one of the largest Chinese casts ever assembled, is being made at tent pole scale for a world audience. I believe that is a trend that should be embraced by our industry. Our film is not about the construction of the Great Wall. Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor. The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them — the other four are all Chinese. The collective struggle and sacrifice of these heroes are the emotional heart of our film. As the director of over 20 Chinese language films and the Beijing Olympics, I have not and will not cast a film in a way that was untrue to my artistic vision. I hope when everyone sees the film and is armed with the facts they will agree.

http://collider.com/the-great-wall-matt-damon-controversy-zhang-yimou/

Not that I really care, but if people took this kind of anger and put it toward real issues, said individuals could probably make some kind of difference in the world. But I guess it's easier to complain about a movie about a Chinese landmark that features a white man as the lead.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Director Zhang Yimou says that there is no "whitewashing" in The Great Wall:

http://collider.com/the-great-wall-matt-damon-controversy-zhang-yimou/

Not that I really care, but if people took this kind of anger and put it toward real issues, said individuals could probably make some kind of difference in the world. But I guess it's easier to complain about a movie about a Chinese landmark that features a white man as the lead.

This somewhat gives me more confidence in the film, I'm a big fan of Zhang Yimou.

But I think the perception of this film unfortunately will not be changed, and it will suffer in the west because of it.