Eevin

BOM History

I was inspired to make this thread after hearing that the IMDB forums would be shutting down. While it's nice that they're giving said forum users time to archive threads important to them, I realize many people that used the Box Office Mojo forums back in the day weren't given that chance.

So I'm making this thread primarily for two reasons. The first is to help preserve the memory of the forums after the great 2011 purge, and hopefully at least partially restore the history of what went on during that time. 

The second reason is so that many of the newer users (like myself) who weren't around BOM in those days can know more about what it was like at the time. With the arrival of many former IMDB users, some of whom are already here, I feel this is as good a time as any.  

I'll get the ball rolling. To anyone who was around back then...how did you discover the forums? What were some of the more exciting releases to predict? What were some of the stranger predictions out there? And what were some of the more spirited debates, like @baumer's Rogue One under $450m club?

• Like 2

I'd been following box office on The Numbers since the mid 90's around the time of Titanic. I came across mojo in the mid 2000's but only for the box office. I didn't really notice the forums until around Avatar and I joined in December 2009. 

• Like 2

I remember my first post was a very positive and slightly confrontational The Last Airbender review where people teared my english apart. I always smile when I remember that.

I also remember being around Avatar's run.

I started following box office by Pirates 3 OW I think.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

I started getting really interested in the film industry as a whole around late 2008 (after my brother finally convinced me to sit down and watch the movie that's the basis of my avatar); discovered BOM soon after as it was the cleanest website I could find detailing upcoming releases. Lurked there through early 2009 and joined in May around the time Star Trek came out. I think my first post was an awkwardly delivered multiquote response to someone regarding its box office potential.

Fun to look back at how freaked out some people got that Avatar didn't have a trailer out yet, and then when they freaked out more after the teaser disappointed them. It also wasn't as easy to compare movies from the past because BOM's inflation adjuster tool was behind a paywall. They made it free as a consolation when they nixed the forums.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

@baumer and I joined in those first weeks (June 2002). I had been frequenting movie boards for years prior (oh, the stories I could tell about the Titanic boxoffice and The Lost World's insane first weekend..haha) but the BOM years were the best. Boxofficemojo, the site, was and is THE place to be for boxoffice enthusiasts. The founder, Brandon Gray, and I frequently IM'd each other as I helped him troubleshoot the site. As an aside,  for those who don't know, Rth and Brandon go way back to their university days. :) Anyway, I heard there was going to be a boxoffice forum. Yes!! I couldn't wait! It finally went live in June and the rest is history.  I mention Baumer because over that first summer, the entire forum watched us as both he and I raced to be the first to get to 1,000 posts. It became a bit of a thing. hehe. Who ultimately won doesn't matter as much as the fond memories of those early years.  :)

About 15 years years ago now.  Wow.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 7