John Marston

The Firm (1993) - Tom Cruise

this 1993 legal thriller based on the John Grisham book made  $158,348,367  which adjusts to a whopping  $330,848,600.  It was the fourth highest grossing movie of the year after Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire, and The Fugitive. This is one of the prime example's of Tom Cruise's massive starpower at the time and how we have no one today that can compare

• Like 4

The movie lacks a good villain to be honest. I think they decided that since they had Tom Cruise they could just stop trying at that point. Cruise was on a tear at this point. While he hasn't actually had any major flops to date, him taking 2 years off to film Eyes Wide Shut was where he went from Tom Cruise the untouchable superstar to Tom Cruise who will do well in franchise outings only.

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The movie lacks a good villain to be honest. I think they decided that since they had Tom Cruise they could just stop trying at that point. Cruise was on a tear at this point. While he hasn't actually had any major flops to date, him taking 2 years off to film Eyes Wide Shut was where he went from Tom Cruise the untouchable superstar to Tom Cruise who will do well in franchise outings only.

I think Vanilla Sky benefited from his star power. Can't see a movie like that making 100m (152m adjusted) today. 

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

While he hasn't actually had any major flops to date, him taking 2 years off to film Eyes Wide Shut was where he went from Tom Cruise the untouchable superstar to Tom Cruise who will do well in franchise outings only.

Not really. Between the 2nd and 3d mission impossible he did Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, Last Samurai, Collateral and War of the Worlds, all hits. Even Eyes Wide Shut did fine for the kind of movie it was. Cruise was pretty much bulletproof until the Oprah incident.

• Like 3

This film is super boring, but I gotta admit, they don't make movies like this any more and that's sad. A big-budget studio movie that's a thriller, not an action franchise. And it worked, cause these movies were successful - adjusted, this grossed the same as Batman v Superman. Can't imagine that these days - I mean last year, I just checked and the highest grossing live action movie that's not part of a franchise was Central Intelligence with 127M... it's just depressing.

58 minutes ago, franfar said:

The movie isn't that exciting from what I could see. It's a legal drama

It's a thriller.

6 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

This film is super boring, but I gotta admit, they don't make movies like this any more and that's sad. A big-budget studio movie that's a thriller, not an action franchise. And it worked, cause these movies were successful - adjusted, this grossed the same as Batman v Superman. Can't imagine that these days - I mean last year, I just checked and the highest grossing live action movie that's not part of a franchise was Central Intelligence with 127M... it's just depressing.

It's a thriller.

Ok, it's a legal thriller. Still boring.

I don't think this was boring. The first half is tense and mysterious. The second half kind of turns into a "everyone helps Cruise defeat the evil bad guys"  and also gets kind of muddled but it is still fun.

no doubt the Grisham book popularity also drove the movie. Cruise just supercharged it

I am a musician that loves the Dave Grusin soundtrack written for the film. It carried scenes of so-called-boredom as copying and faxing is going on. We know that there will be chases and showdowns forthcoming, but the film tried to stay true to the source material, and making all that copying look exciting is not an easy task. 

But I did learn that you can't scuba dive and fly in the same 24 hours. I'll never forget that. 

On 2/4/2017 at 7:49 PM, John Marston said:

this 1993 legal thriller based on the John Grisham book made  $158,348,367  which adjusts to a whopping  $330,848,600.  It was the fourth highest grossing movie of the year after Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire, and The Fugitive. This is one of the prime example's of Tom Cruise's massive starpower at the time and how we have no one today that can compare

The Firm is my favorite example when differentiating between the current era of BO (almost totally reliant on SH movies & animation) and that of the 80s and 90s, when star power was a massive factor. 

It also demonstrates how absolutely immense Cruise's popularity was back then. His mere presence in a movie made it a blockbuster. 

On 2/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, Christmas baumer said:

Im stunned that anyone could feel this way.

I'm stunned too - I thought it was a fantastic thriller & very true to the book.  And such a phenomenal cast - how anybody could be bored by this movie is beyond me.

• Like 1