Mulder

Jurassic Park (1993)

This movie was really hyped and anticipated. I believe this movie Had the biggest marketing budget at the time with 65 million.

The actual budget was only the fifth or so expensive film at the time. Terminator 2, Die Hard 2, Roger Rabbit, Cliffhanger, and Total Recall cost more 

Edited by John Marston

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

Jurassic Park's marketing blitz was very effective to the point where it's still one of the most remembered parts of it. Only movie in recent years to have a similar one imo was The Force Awakens.

I'd argue that the marketing campaigns for Independence Day and The Phantom Menace were the most memorable and effective.

I saw the original Jurassic Park 5 times in theaters, a personal record for me.

• Like 2

I watched it Waterloo, Iowa Crossroads 10 theater on June 12, 1993. What a ride it was. The audience reaction was phenomenal. I watched it 11 times in the theater during its original run. The interesting part was it was a full house all 11 times. Most of my visits were in the weekend. I will always equate Jurassic Park to a sold out show. 

The lines for this movie even in the 4th and 5th weekends were spectacular. This was a pre-internet movie though AOL, Compuserve and Prodigy had started offering services at about the same time.

The run was phenomenal to say the least and personally most memorable for me since it was my first experience of a $300m+ grosser in the US. During 1977 Star Wars and E.T., I used to live in India. In terms of crowds i have personally witnessed, only The Phantom Menace comes close. 

I watched it for the 12th time in the theater during its 3D rerelease.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

If I could choose any movie to go back in time to see at a midnight showing on OW, it'd be this one. A perfect example of a blockbuster delivering on the hype, huge opening and great legs.

Did they even have midnight showings in 1993?

16 hours ago, Mulder said:

A landmark movie in many ways, Jurassic Park had a run that was beaten not long after it's debut but was still a record maker. Besides it's incredible box office run, it also introduced CGI to mainstream audiences.

Harrumph, I think T2 probably takes this. I know what you mean, though: "realistic" CG animals. 

• Like 3

great movie and run.

I saw this a few times in the theaters and it was the last movie my dad and I saw together in the theaters.  He still prefers watching at home.  But yeah it was big enough to even get him to see the film back then.

Great CGI for the time and yes it still holds up for the most part today :) 

On February 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Telemachos said:

Harrumph, I think T2 probably takes this. I know what you mean, though: "realistic" CG animals. 

It led the way no doubt but in T2 its a silver shape shifter thats walks once or twice but its mostly still also just the CG shots add up to like a minute, a little more and thats it.  Jurassic Park and like 5 different CG Dinosaurs characters that have far far more textures/colors and much more movement and interaction with its environments plus 6.5 minutes of screen time. 

T2 opened the door but Jurassic Park ran it, it was like 10x the CG work and a mega break trough. T2 cant be the breakthrough, if it IS, then Abyss and King Arthur are/should be the break though. Id put T2 at the end of that era. JP was beginning of a new era of CG 

52 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

It led the way no doubt but in T2 its a silver shape shifter thats walks once or twice but its mostly still also just the CG shots add up to like a minute, a little more and thats it.  Jurassic Park and like 5 different CG Dinosaurs characters that have far far more textures/colors and much more movement and interaction with its environments plus 6.5 minutes of screen time. 

T2 opened the door but Jurassic Park ran it, it was like 10x the CG work and a mega break trough. T2 cant be the breakthrough, if it IS, then Abyss and King Arthur are/should be the break though. Id put T2 at the end of that era. JP was beginning of a new era of CG 

King Arthur?

We're quibbling here. IMO, T2 is the start of the new era, THE ABYSS is the end of the old one. T2's CGI is closer to 3.5-4 minutes, from every article I've ever read, and the range for JP is 4-6 min, maybe a bit more... but not quite the dramatic difference you mentioned.

And in terms of audience reaction, while the tentacle in THE ABYSS was really cool, T2 was the first time a CG entity was front-and-center in a way that made the audience go "Holy shit!".

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

King Arthur?

We're quibbling here. IMO, T2 is the start of the new era, THE ABYSS is the end of the old one. T2's CGI is closer to 3.5-4 minutes, from every article I've ever read, and the range for JP is 4-6 min, maybe a bit more... but not quite the dramatic difference you mentioned.

And in terms of audience reaction, while the tentacle in THE ABYSS was really cool, T2 was the first time a CG entity was front-and-center in a way that made the audience go "Holy shit!".

Jurassic park is not "maybe" 4 minutes wtf is this Alternative fact shit haha :P  its 6.5

I guess T2 has more than couple minutes but its cuts right to a real guy acting and interacting, it was  just for transformations mostly. The Raptors in the kitchen is beyond a leap forward. I LOVE T2  but its a solid color the whole time with one, black and white title moving.  Steel pointy shapes? or 3 dinosaur multi colored  fighting, plus they talk about it in the JP making of, that ending the CG  TREX blocks the entire frame up close and that was the first time any CGI had been "that close". 

Also T2 didn't really have "muscle movement" there was nothing happening under the skin, he is a surface creature. but you cant have one without the other though. Had T2 not happened JP would not have gotten CGI dinosaurs, Terminator 2 is what made them confidant enough they could do it. 

I mean technically Journey to the center of the Earth and Up were in 3D before Avatar ( I know conversation but audiences don't know or care)   but Avatar IS the one that truly showed the GA what it can do. 

After the Abyss you go ok we saw water, I bet they could do a liquid character. If you told someone back in 1989 after walking out of abyss yeah theres gonna be this cool liquid metal character, you would think wow that imppressive but you wouldn't argue they could do it.

I don't think you walk out of Abyss and think yep they can make full size dinosaurs running, eating people and so forth. 

Also I meant  fight in Young Sherlock Holmes

sherlock-03.jpg?itok=h1jgTFq9 

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Jurassic park is not "maybe" 4 minutes wtf is this Alternative fact shit haha :P  its 6.5

I guess T2 has more than couple minutes but its cuts right to a real guy acting and interacting, it was  just for transformations mostly. The Raptors in the kitchen is beyond a leap forward. I LOVE T2  but its a solid color the whole time with one, black and white title moving.  Steel pointy shapes? or 3 dinosaur multi colored  fighting, plus they talk about it in the JP making of, that ending the CG  TREX blocks the entire frame up close and that was the first time any CGI had been "that close". 

Also T2 didn't really have "muscle movement" there was nothing happening under the skin, he is a surface creature. but you cant have one without the other though. Had T2 not happened JP would not have gotten CGI dinosaurs, Terminator 2 is what made them confidant enough they could do it. 

I mean technically Journey to the center of the Earth and Up were in 3D before Avatar ( I know conversation but audiences don't know or care)   but Avatar IS the one that truly showed the GA what it can do. 

After the Abyss you go ok we saw water, I bet they could do a liquid character. If you told someone back in 1989 after walking out of abyss yeah theres gonna be this cool liquid metal character, you would think wow that imppressive but you wouldn't argue they could do it.

I don't think you walk out of Abyss and think yep they can make full size dinosaurs running, eating people and so forth.

I'm not saying the CG in JP wasn't much more advanced than T2, I'm saying it was iteratively building on the foundation T2 created: realistic animal (or in this case, human) movement for walking/running/posing.

In terms of THE ABYSS, no, people didn't obviously assume that. :P In fact, it was a huge leap of faith on Cameron's part (based on what Muren and ILM were able to deliver), because if they couldn't pull it off (and there was a real question whether they could or not) the movie was fucked. In THE ABYSS if the effect didn't pan out Cameron could've just cut the scene (and said as much).

T2 put an occasionally-CG front-and-center as a major supporting character and while a huge part of that is Robert Patrick's performance, the "I've never seen anything like that before!" aspect of the CG was key as well. I remember the gasps and "holy shit!"s in the audience, man. :lol: 

In any case, I think this is probably a case where we could endlessly argue about which movie should be the "starting point" for modern CG.

What I remember most about JP's run was the  big "Jurassic Park vs Last Action Hero" battle hype that preceded its release. These two films were supposed to duke it out for the summer movie crown, but of course it turned into a rout. IIRC, JP was released a week before LAH, and created such a tidal wave that LAH was swept away: when LAH came out, JP still won that weekend's box office by a huge amount, suffering only about a 20% drop and more than doubling LAH's OW take. 

Earlier, Arnold had predicted victory. Here's a media shot of him playfully mocking Jurassic Park. It ended up biting him, LOL. 

lastaction.jpg

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 6

On 2017-02-18 at 2:46 AM, Telemachos said:

Yeah, LAH was supposed to be the big contender of the summer. A PG-13 Arnold action comedy by the guy who did DIE HARD and PREDATOR and HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. What could go wrong?

Well....Jurassic Park itself...is one of the few reasons that went wrong for Last Action Hero. ?

Poor Arnie. ?

On 2/17/2017 at 9:41 PM, MrPink said:

I still love LAH :sadben:

Funny thing, I recall planning on seeing JP when it opened and then LAH when it opened a few days later. But after JP opened, the next weekend when LAH opened i decided to see JP again instead.

To this day, I've never seen LAH. 

Edited by SteveJaros