grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

Spoiler

Silence

pdXMIVF.jpg

i4sjGHz.png

Martin Scorsese’s meditation on religion and what it means to be faithful. This was a passion project for him but unfortunately the audience and the awards bodies were just not on the same page. It does feature Andrew Garfield’s best performance of the year but at almost 3 hours long it is definitely a test of faith watching it in a single sitting as well.

User Reviews:

the rarest of films a legitimate epic dealing with complex themes and shit. in fact it's probably one of the most ideologically dense and complex movies i've ever seen. it's gonna give film academics decades worth of material. i think it's one of those "you get out of it what you put in" kinda deals. militant atheists and christians will have very different reactions to the ending. definitely feels like scorsese has put out the definitive representation of his struggles with faith that comes across in many of his films. can see why it took him 30 years to figure this shit out and even now there's no easy conclusion. 

not for everyone though, it's a difficult watch for sure and not one that gives immediate gratification. been thinking about it for a day and that doesn't feel near long enough. right now not the most celebrated film of 2016... but give it a decade. we'll see then.

-CoolioD1

Wow. Just, wow. I have no words - I need some time to process everything I just watched
-TreeCraft

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I laughed out loud in sheer delight at a couple of reveals in HANDMAIDEN. 

Reveal hidden contents

the pov vag shot got a chuckle out of me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

@MrPink

We have a problem 

• Like 1