grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

Spoiler

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

E4dEz8t.jpg

qbo1c2c.png

Star Wars returned to the start (literally) this year with Rogue One. A group of rebels stealing the death star plans worked better than anyone expected at the box office and gathered a lot of support in the voting as well. A lot has been written about using CGI to bring back dead actors, the movie did do it in the most respectful way possible but I am not sure I would want to see it done more.

USER REVIEWS:

8/10, A

A surprisingly good movie. It's the most SF-ish of all the SW movies - no princesses, no magic swords, prophecies or whatever - and it's extremely straightforward: no sidequests, no twists, not even a romance. There's little humour or funny one-liners, most of those thanks to K-2SO; I don't know if that's a good thing, have to watch it again someday if this droid doesn't get grating. This strightforward approach also means that we have little in the way of character development or political or historical background but I didn't miss those ingredients much, the move was so entertaining.

Production design and SFX are very good, the SW universe feels lived in and many characters and places have a realistic feel about them. The action sequence at the end goes on for maybe a few minutes too long, but never gets boring at least upon first viewing. And the whole story expands very nicely upon Episode 4's "history", probably makes watching the original "Star Wars" nearly a new experience.

In fact, I don't know why this movie is set apart from the "main" SW movies at all, it's not apart in any meaningful manner but should really be called something like "Episode 3.9".

-Industrious Angel

After the too much of too little that was The Force Awakens this takes three four steps in the right direction.

Yes, this too is much about seeing recognizable faces. But not for nostalgic reasons as in The Force Awakens and/or The X-Mas Special. This builds so much more upon history rather than nostalgia, and that is one big step in the right direction.

Unlike TFA (and the X-mas special) this also felt much bigger and more epic. Not only gave the editing the sense of its world being lightyears apart (remember how it only took Rey a few seconds to travel to Luke?), the editing also let the movie breathe and build momentum: before the big climax we had scenes which main purpose was to build tension and not the kind of tension of "Oh, it's another Death Star... So it's big...." urrrgggghhh

The third step in the right direction was that it had some good battles in it. 

My only problem with it was that it felt like it was two movies in it, fighting over space and screentime. But that didn't really matter as it felt quite different to much other blockbustery because of this reason.

Thus:
A+ as entertainment
B+ (remarkable) as a film

-Amadeus

• Like 19

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Star Wars returned to the start (literally) this year with Rogue One. A group of rebels stealing the death star plans worked better than anyone expected at the box office and gathered a lot of support in the voting as well. A lot has been written about using CGI to bring back dead actors, the movie did do it in the most respectful way possible but I am not sure I would want to see it done more.

USER REVIEWS:

8/10, A

A surprisingly good movie. It's the most SF-ish of all the SW movies - no princesses, no magic swords, prophecies or whatever - and it's extremely straightforward: no sidequests, no twists, not even a romance. There's little humour or funny one-liners, most of those thanks to K-2SO; I don't know if that's a good thing, have to watch it again someday if this droid doesn't get grating. This strightforward approach also means that we have little in the way of character development or political or historical background but I didn't miss those ingredients much, the move was so entertaining.

Production design and SFX are very good, the SW universe feels lived in and many characters and places have a realistic feel about them. The action sequence at the end goes on for maybe a few minutes too long, but never gets boring at least upon first viewing. And the whole story expands very nicely upon Episode 4's "history", probably makes watching the original "Star Wars" nearly a new experience.

In fact, I don't know why this movie is set apart from the "main" SW movies at all, it's not apart in any meaningful manner but should really be called something like "Episode 3.9".

-Industrious Angel

After the too much of too little that was The Force Awakens this takes three four steps in the right direction.

Yes, this too is much about seeing recognizable faces. But not for nostalgic reasons as in The Force Awakens and/or The X-Mas Special. This builds so much more upon history rather than nostalgia, and that is one big step in the right direction.

Unlike TFA (and the X-mas special) this also felt much bigger and more epic. Not only gave the editing the sense of its world being lightyears apart (remember how it only took Rey a few seconds to travel to Luke?), the editing also let the movie breathe and build momentum: before the big climax we had scenes which main purpose was to build tension and not the kind of tension of "Oh, it's another Death Star... So it's big...." urrrgggghhh

The third step in the right direction was that it had some good battles in it. 

My only problem with it was that it felt like it was two movies in it, fighting over space and screentime. But that didn't really matter as it felt quite different to much other blockbustery because of this reason.

Thus:
A+ as entertainment
B+ (remarkable) as a film

-Amadeus

Much of the forum:

Somewhere in Florida:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

It's like if Andorra declared war on France and Spain simultaneously.

It'd be like if Dak decided to take on the whole Empire by himself, and actually tried.

• Like 4