grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, it makes me wonder if Sing Street just got in because it's on Netflix.

I wouldn't have managed to seen it otherwise, certainly helped.

I caught Wilderpeople on a plane.

• Like 1

Just now, Eevin said:

Bracing for @AABATTERY's inevitable meltdown.

Still, kinda weird that Sing Street and Everybody Wants Some!! made the list when Wilderpeople didn't. It seemed to be the most zeitgeist-y out of the indies this year.

really? i've at least seen people outside this forum talk about those other two movies.

• Like 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

While people are mourning the snub of Wilderpeople, I'm mourning the snub of Pete's Dragon and a Monster Calls and maybe even fucking Lion.

pete's dragon is a kids movie, monster calls (while i agree it's great) no one saw it. whereas there was a lot of love for wilderpeople on the forum.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

While people are mourning the snub of Wilderpeople, I'm mourning the snub of Pete's Dragon and a Monster Calls and maybe even fucking Lion.

Here's why:

Domestic Total Gross: $3,740,823
Distributor: Focus Features Release Date: December 23, 2016
Genre: Fantasy Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 48 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Manchester by the Tree said:

pete's dragon is a kids movie, monster calls (while i agree it's great) no one saw it. whereas there was a lot of love for wilderpeople on the forum.

plenty of kids movies on this list so rubbish.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

really? i've at least seen people outside this forum talk about those other two movies.

Yeah outside this forum, nobody really talked about Wilderpeople.  It was really overlooked, even amoung the indies.  We just had a few people who screamed loud enough at people on these forums to go watch it, which is probably what got it the BOFFY nom.

It's a shame because it was the best indie film this year.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

All four were on my list.   I think 3 of those in my top 10.

But then I left off such top films as BvS , Popstar , Everybody Wants ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, and the horror movies.

Damn, Hidden Figures didn't make it either did it?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Zootopia

re5avB7.jpg

tIjbo3b.png

The Disney renaissance continues with one of their very best movies. This was also the first movie which appealed to both the Disney audience as well as the furry audience, and led to a lot of people on this forum have a rabbit as their avatar. A very well made movie with parallels to real life, especially with the current political landscape as well.

USER REVIEWS:

"Silence of the Lambs" meets "Kung Fu Panda" to make a Disney Masterpiece. That might seem utterly bizarre, yet it's accurate. Directors Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush have delivered an astonishing film.

Zootopia starts off in ruthless fashion, depicting the death of a rabbit to a fearsome predator. That this is the setup to the school play makes no difference: The satire throughout the rest of the movie is just as brutal.

Judy Hopps (voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin) defies social norms when she becomes the first rabbit police officer in the city of Zootopia, where history was made when predator and prey learned to co-exist in peace. Still, old bigotries persist, and there is an undercurrent of resentment among the species.

Being stereotyped as docile and weak, Judy is assigned parking duty. In order to further her career, Hopps blackmails a con-artist fox named Nick Wilde (voice of Jason Bateman) into assisting the investigation of the mysterious disappearance of Emmet Otterton, who is one of 14 predators who have gone missing. Time is of the essence, for if Judy does not solve the case in two days, she will be pressured to resign her new job.

I dare not give away more of the plot. Even so, I had the story spoiled for me before I saw this film, and I was still enthralled by the wondrous and dangerous world of this film. This is an adult movie: There may be no curse words used, but this sober and grim tale is aimed directly at mature audiences. And while it is sober and grim, it is also hilarious and moving. It's all in the dialogue, in which the characters use elevated speech that will go over the heads of young children.

For example, Judy tells Nick when they first meet, "You an articulate, good fox," to which Nick replies "And you are the least patronizing animal I've met."

And speaking of young children, they probably shouldn't attend this film. There are scenes of violence and menace that might leave 6- year-old kids wailing. The snappy one-liners and uproarious sight gags won't calm them down. Anyone who is mature and over the age of 9 should be able to handle this film, though.

In short, if you love movies, you should see this production. It is among the best work that Disney has ever made, and it is one of the most exhilarating films I have ever seen.

-Cannastop

I can say one thing about Zootopia, and it's a film whose themes really grow on you. It's not necessarily a perfect film. The plot is nothing really groundbreaking (I feel like the third act was a bit rushed, especially with the plot twist and the bait-and-switch that felt a little tacky). The animation is absolutely gorgeous, but I would've liked to see other aspects of the city.

But it's probably one of the most important films Disney has ever made. Place it within the context of this presidential election cycle, where xenophobia and fear-mongering are rampant in the primaries. Place it within the context of the #BlackLivesMatter movement and the recent events regarding individuals like Eric Garner, where race relations between blacks and whites are becoming more and more strained. Zootopia is one of the few animated films out there that actually has something big to say about our society. It's a warning for what happens when hatefulness and terror grab ahold of our population, and if we elect leaders who promote those values as something revolutionary, something to..."make America great again." But it's also a symbol of hope for our society that we can once again become a place "where anyone can become anything."

Take me seriously when I say this; Zootopia is a deconstruction of the American Dream, and what we can do to repair it. You've heard it before; America is the big cultural melting pot where all men are created equal and there is opportunity for everyone. The same way that's shown not to be true in Zootopia, that universal message is losing it's meaning every single day when we look down upon those different from us. But if we all get rid of those labels, we can make the American Dream alive once again. It's probably one of the most powerful messages I've seen come from an animated film in years, let alone a talking animal one. And it's executed so perfectly as well. It's not completely shoved in your face to the point where it becomes preachy (like this review might be :P), but it's not tossed aside completely to the point where it loses it's meaning amid the rest of the film.

Besides that, the film is incredibly entertaining as well. Yes, it follows a lot of mystery and noir tropes, but it's still a great time at the movies. I was laughing pretty much every other scene (some had me rolling on the floor), because the writing is so witty and clever. I love how it's humor doesn't completely pander to smaller children like most talking animal movies do. Judy and Nick's chemistry is great, it's a truly believable relationship. And the worldbuilding is truly something else, complimented by amazing, painstakingly well-crafted animation.

Buy a ticket and see this movie now. I hope it blows up like Frozen did back in late 2013/early 2014, because if the films' themes can truly connect with children, it could make the film a better place.

A

-Alpha

• Like 18

• Community Manager
Just now, filmlover said:

Here's why:

Domestic Total Gross: $3,740,823
Distributor: Focus Features Release Date: December 23, 2016
Genre: Fantasy Drama Runtime: 1 hrs. 48 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A

I know why this brilliant fantastic movie won't make it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Phew, now I can breathe easily.

Thanks for quoting me, too.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1