grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

Spoiler

La La Land

vn0SrVA.jpg

dMFEhyn.png

While I am on record as saying I did not particularly care for the movie, I can definitely see why it has inspired so much passion here. Gosling and Stone are in form and Chazelle gives them ample scope to perform. Always nice when a movie inspires legions of fans on here for sure.

USER REVIEWS:

With La La Land you have another traditionally MGM musical that homages the dominant musical era of Gene Kelly. The film’s musical styling and dancing sequences combine nearly every Gene Kelly film varying from Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, and Anchors Aweigh by bringing it to our 21st-century modern day era with a narrative similar to 500 Days of Summer. While doing it it isn’t in your face about it and when it is it has a strong statement to say of musicians of today wanting to live in the past when the future is always changing. The film has an ideology for music that feels that arguably applies to film. It states the cooperate issues in the industry that affects the people that work in it in order to capture the idea of “The American Dream.”

From the opening number, you’re engaged in this colorfully vibrant musical with upbeat numbers that get into your head. Chazelle has this direction of where he has his characters in these settings that are taken to its advantage. With every set piece, there is a new musical or dancing sequence around the corner waiting to astonish you. The music in the film is outstanding with original tracks that are catchy and sweet with a jazzy soul and melody. Justin Hurwitz brings a magnificent score that will not only put him on the map outside his buddy Chazelle's films but also earn him an Academy Award for Best Original Score nomination.

As much it is Chazelle’s direction that powers the film, it is the chemistry of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone that ties it all together. These two have been each other’s love interests in 3 movies now where one’s performance brings out the best in the other. They have so much chemistry that even Chazelle subtly makes a joke of it in the film. If they keep this up they are going to become a much more iconic duo than Johnny Depp and Helena Boham Carter. I am convinced that you can put them in any movie and most likely it’ll work. If Disney decides to make a live action adaption of any given animated film like Zootopia, cast them as the leads, and it’ll work. Their bond is the definition of the word “cute.” They display the genuine emotion of affection that is believable. No scenes sexual innuendos or intercourse to manipulate your believability of their love because their songs and dance sequences are all that is needed to accomplish the heart and emotion.

They have their own signature song that gives them their own Oscar winning performance. With Gosling is City of Stars (which I'm calling the Best Original Song of 2016) and with Emma Stone is Audition (The Fools Who Dream). As much as I love City of Stars, The Fools Who Dream works perfectly with Stone's performance. With that musical performance the visuals has her in the spotlight as she's singing her butt off in the same way Anne Hathaway did in Les Miz. And you know what? That film got her an Oscar for that one song and The Fools Who Dream gives Stone that Oscar winning moment Hathaway had in Les Miz.

With amazing visuals and outstanding performances from Stone and Gosling, Damian Chazelle’s La La Land isn’t only a musical that homages traditional ones of the past but also has the longevity to last a lifetime.

-Rjones1325

It's sooooo goooooooood. Everything is so god damn delightful in this movie.

Damien Chazelle knocks it out of the park. Whiplash was probably my favourite film of 2014, so La La Land has been on my hype radar since I first heard about it and it does not disappoint. The music is perfect, the acting is charming, the story is lovely and the direction is impeccable. There's not much else for me to say here. It's definitely my favourite movie this year, and I'd be shocked to see anything top it (Manchester and Moonlight haven't come out yet here but maybe they have a shot).

So yeah. Was okay I guess. It gets an A+ from me.

-AABattery

When they float up into the Stars I was like DAMNNNNNNN you got me. 

A- (90) for now, we'll see after a second viewing, I was kinda distracted because i saw this with a girl I like and want to date hahah

-Jay Hollywood

• Like 10

AND THE WINNER IS

Spoiler

Arrival

gTVxdSc.jpg

oluSBuh.png

One of my personal favorite movies of the year and would have been in my top 3 if I submitted a list. I loved this movie, and the entire "time is a flat circle" philosophy in it. Amy Adams delivered a great performance which went overlooked completely. Vilenueve's great direction and Heisserrer's amazing script made this movie even better than it would have been. The movie knows when to build suspense and didn't handhold the audience at all through most of it. A very deserving #1 movie of the year

H5tVqt6.jpg

USER REVIEWS:

I'll start of by saying this film did not have a lot of negatives, if any at all. One of my small quibbles has to do with the character of Jeremy Renner. He didn't add a lot to this film IMO. His character just seemed like he was added as a plot device to add drama to the film. I get it his character was how 'most people' would respond to an alien invasion, but his character could've been completely left out, and I wouldn't have noticed. Also, most of the characters just fell flat compared to Amy Adams. Can't really fault the film for this, b/c this is the Amy Adam's vehicle. She gave such a strong performance, all the other characters were just 'there." More on her in a bit.

Pacing. Movie is a little slow in the first act, but the plus side is you get some much needed world developing and character leading up to the third act. Also, some of the more dramatic moments felt a little forced.

Pros

The whole idea of time-warp really paid off for me. The third act brought tears to my eyes. I really liked the central message of the world being in disarray, and having to band together struck a cord with me. I'm really a huge fan of Sci-Fiction films, but I understand some people are going to be turned off by the Interstellar-like 3rd act, but I felt it was executed much much better than Interstellar. The main theme of Interstellar was the main character trying to get back home to his daughter, he accomplished this mission, but left about 30 minutes afterwards to find Anne Hathaway's character. Felt really abrupt and rushed. The ideas of 'time' in this movie was intriguing to me. 

There was some gorgeous cinematography and camera work in this film. The camera work was amazing. Probably see a best cinematography nomination at the Oscars. With a shoe-string budget, they definitely did the best they could. The direction was also top notch. The movie had an overarching sense of dread and mystery to it, but also one of excitement. Hope we get a best director nomination for this film, but academy might be turned of the absurdity of the film.

Amy Adams is fantastic as always. Like I said in another thread, I'm campaigning for her to win an overdue academy award. Like Leo, she is one of the best actresses in Hollywood, and it is time the academy recognizes her work. Her character is given a lot of depth, and her character arc coming to a close in the 3rd arc was outstanding.  She brings it in this film. Most of the other characters were disposable. Forest Whitaker was probably the best of the supporting characters. Didn't like the character of Jeremy Renner.

In close, I really loved this film. It's probably in my top 5 movies of the year, and maybe even in my top 2(other being 10CFL). The first two acts were B+/A- ish, but the third act was A+++. Originally gave it an A+, and I'm sticking with that.

A+

-Filmbuff

Absolutely incredible. A sci-fi that blends truly thought-provoking and contemplative messages without giving easy answers, while doing enough to stir a truly vivid emotional response and inspiring hope and unity for the future. A magical dream of a movie.

Adams also kills it.

-Spaghetti

Great movie :)

Loved the soundtrack also.

Looking forward to blade runner this director is a god!

-IronJimbo

• Like 17

Just now, grim22 said:

AND THE WINNER IS

Hide contents

Arrival

gTVxdSc.jpg

oluSBuh.png

One of my personal favorite movies of the year and would have been in my top 3 if I submitted a list. I loved this movie, and the entire "time is a flat circle" philosophy in it. Amy Adams delivered a great performance which went overlooked completely. Vilenueve's great direction and Heisserrer's amazing script made this movie even better than it would have been. The movie knows when to build suspense and didn't handhold the audience at all through most of it. A very deserving #1 movie of the year

H5tVqt6.jpg

USER REVIEWS:

I'll start of by saying this film did not have a lot of negatives, if any at all. One of my small quibbles has to do with the character of Jeremy Renner. He didn't add a lot to this film IMO. His character just seemed like he was added as a plot device to add drama to the film. I get it his character was how 'most people' would respond to an alien invasion, but his character could've been completely left out, and I wouldn't have noticed. Also, most of the characters just fell flat compared to Amy Adams. Can't really fault the film for this, b/c this is the Amy Adam's vehicle. She gave such a strong performance, all the other characters were just 'there." More on her in a bit.

Pacing. Movie is a little slow in the first act, but the plus side is you get some much needed world developing and character leading up to the third act. Also, some of the more dramatic moments felt a little forced.

Pros

The whole idea of time-warp really paid off for me. The third act brought tears to my eyes. I really liked the central message of the world being in disarray, and having to band together struck a cord with me. I'm really a huge fan of Sci-Fiction films, but I understand some people are going to be turned off by the Interstellar-like 3rd act, but I felt it was executed much much better than Interstellar. The main theme of Interstellar was the main character trying to get back home to his daughter, he accomplished this mission, but left about 30 minutes afterwards to find Anne Hathaway's character. Felt really abrupt and rushed. The ideas of 'time' in this movie was intriguing to me. 

There was some gorgeous cinematography and camera work in this film. The camera work was amazing. Probably see a best cinematography nomination at the Oscars. With a shoe-string budget, they definitely did the best they could. The direction was also top notch. The movie had an overarching sense of dread and mystery to it, but also one of excitement. Hope we get a best director nomination for this film, but academy might be turned of the absurdity of the film.

Amy Adams is fantastic as always. Like I said in another thread, I'm campaigning for her to win an overdue academy award. Like Leo, she is one of the best actresses in Hollywood, and it is time the academy recognizes her work. Her character is given a lot of depth, and her character arc coming to a close in the 3rd arc was outstanding.  She brings it in this film. Most of the other characters were disposable. Forest Whitaker was probably the best of the supporting characters. Didn't like the character of Jeremy Renner.

In close, I really loved this film. It's probably in my top 5 movies of the year, and maybe even in my top 2(other being 10CFL). The first two acts were B+/A- ish, but the third act was A+++. Originally gave it an A+, and I'm sticking with that.

A+

-Filmbuff

Absolutely incredible. A sci-fi that blends truly thought-provoking and contemplative messages without giving easy answers, while doing enough to stir a truly vivid emotional response and inspiring hope and unity for the future. A magical dream of a movie.

Adams also kills it.

-Spaghetti

Great movie :)

Loved the soundtrack also.

Looking forward to blade runner this director is a god!

-IronJimbo

HAIL VILLENEUVE!

• Like 2

Just now, grim22 said:

AND THE WINNER IS

Reveal hidden contents

Way to go Arrival!! :) 

I didn't have it number one, but still good movie :) 

Just now, Water Bottle said:

La La Land makes people saltier because it's about living in America's past which is what helped Trump get elected. Bitches.

I wish people would make up their minds has to how Trump figures into the equation because if you do like it, you're a Trump supporter and if you don't, it means you stand by President Cheeto. Which is it? Because it can't be both.

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

I wish people would make up their minds has to how Trump figures into the equation because if you do like it, you're a Trump supporter and if you don't, it means you stand by President Cheeto. Which is it? Because it can't be both.

Everyone truly supports Trump subconsciously, duh