grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Most anticipated is easily The Last Jedi. It may be just me getting older, but the blockbuster crop this year is weak.

Yeah, it is nice to see somebody go out on a limb and choose the plucky little underdog Indie Flick :P 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

Yeah, it is nice to see somebody go out on a limb and choose the plucky little underdog Indie Flick :P 

I should've said outside of SW. I guess Dunkirk, WftPotA, and GOTG 2 are the only blockbusters I'm really anticipating at all. 

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I'm looking forward to the Book of Henry.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Your Name

cjQK9q1.jpg

2GOOq4C.png

This was a phenomenon in Japan and will most likely break Spirited Away’s all time record. I watched it on a flight and was very bored for the first 15 or so minutes, but as the movie progressed it started pulling me in and I was right there rooting for the couple by the end. The ending plays almost like a 90s rom-com trope but it definitely struck a chord with audiences around the world. It also saw wide support among forum users, with a couple even saying their lists were “Tactical” to get this on the list. Well, it worked.

User Reviews:

First off as an avid anime fan I had heard of this film months before getting to see it. It had been dominating the Japan Box Office and broken foreign anime records. The film is currently topping MAL's rankings - the biggest anime site on the web with an amazing score, which includes everything from movies to tv series. So I went in with huge expectations, so high it could not possibly live up to hype. Or so I thought...

This movie is simply put POWERFUL. I will sum up the story briefly as there are many turns are surprises that await you. Two high schoolers living in Japan - one a male living in Tokyo and another a girl living in a remote mountain town one day start swapping bodies due to unexplained phenomenon. That's all I want you to know going in story wise. The film touches heavily on the themes of romance and supernatural forces. You will grow to care strongly about the outcome of the two main protagonists as they are extremely relatable and likeable. There is also plenty of humor found in throughout the movie resulting from the body swapping as the two experience each others bodies and lives.

Lets talk about the visuals. This is on par, if not better, than anything that Studio Ghibli has ever put out. Which should come as no surprise as many of Director Makoto Shinkai previous films have all looked rather stunning. Its amazing what can be done on a much smaller budget than you would get with a Disney 2d animation film.

The third act becomes extremely emotional and moving. I am not going to lie and was shedding tears constantly! You genuinely care about the outcome of all the characters involved. The only complaint I would have is it can be a little cheesy and overly melodramatic

This film is one the best I have seen in my life. I have seen it twice already and will it see it more. It absolutely deserves you to check it out. A+

-Extacy

Although I've seen a number of anime films over the years Your Name is the first time I've seen one at the theatre. It's actually my first animated film at the theatre since The Simpsons Movie.  I hadn't even seen the trailer and had no idea about the plot. All I knew was that it was doing crazy business. 

It was fantastic. I loved it. It's hilarious at the start and then it dawns on you what's going on. It perfectly blends the drama and humour to make a wonderful film. 

My only complaint is that it slightly draws out the ending a little to long.  Still, it doesn't take anything away from such a beautiful looking and well crafted film. 

A+

-DeeCee

• Like 14

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

yes

YES

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Most anticipated is easily The Last Jedi. It may be just me getting older, but the blockbuster crop this year is weak.

As I've gotten older, I've found myself getting increasingly less interested in effects-driven fare (even though I still see all of the big titles because duh) and more into other kinds of fare.

• Like 2