grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2016 Countdown. Reveal complete. Master list in first post.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

#22 (Tie)

At number 22 (i.e. 22 and 23), we have a tie. And what a fitting tie it is. The 2 movies also caused the blood pressure of the mods on this board to rise thanks to the unending fan wars we saw. Sometimes lists come up better than you can even plan them. The best thing is that I don’t even need to write 2 separate descriptions for the movies. So here goes:

A billionaire playboy superhero who wears an armored suit takes offense at the actions of a different superhero who wears Red and Blue and then they fight.

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Q7NEL7D.jpg

UMoqLgD.png

User Reviews:

Really glad I did give it a second chance, because the Ultimate Edition is a pretty damn good film.

It's possible it doesn't need 3 hours to get the point across, and Batman still feels a little tacked on for the first couple acts, but since it has the room to breathe, all the plotlines and character motivations make sense.

I'd give it a 4/5, now.

-          DamienRoc

ULTIMATE EDITION

-           

-          (in just copying and pasting my review from Letterboxd, can't be bothered to do a separate spoiler review - but accepting Qs!)

-           

-          Okay....I'll try keep this as story spoiler free when it comes to the new content as I can. Possible spoilers for those yet to even see the film - and I 1000% encourage the extended version to be your first viewing if so. 

The TL;DR version - best way to describe this is that it's not a completely different movie. It's a more complete, and definitely improved film. From the word go - so much more room to let the story breathe, and even by the extension everything that the story goes for is done justice better here.

The improvements: the thing about this is that it isn't just the theatrical cut with a bunch of extra scenes added on. Aside from the whole 3rd act (from end of BvS fight to epilogue - which, while being the weaker part of the film in this cut, oddly in the theatrical cut was the best paced part of the film), everything including existing theatrical cut scenes is expanded, changed up, in some cases early on even re-ordered. Most importantly, everything gets a whole lot more room to breathe, the pacing is much more even (which helps even moments like the infamous email scene which is in the same place as in the TC), and the editing and intercutting is miles better, scenes intercut and transition much more naturally and smoothly. You won't even care that there aren't that many more establishing shots even (a notable one was a nice one of Gotham early on). I was at first a bit unsure on how the wheels are spinning quite a bit but overall the very graceful build up to the conflicts is very much appreciated.

It's the same story - but it feels really quite differently executed, and for the better. There are expansions to story elements that really help make sense of a lot of the existing beats. Don't really wanna say more because spoilers, but yes, the additions help immensely.

Clark/Supes 
and Lois benefit the most from the new content. The balance between Bats and Supes is much more even as we get more to do, and both their storylines are really quite improved upon. There is more Supes as well, with moments that should quieten down the hate, and Bats gets a few more characterisation shades (including a, to me, very notable improvement as well, retconning a point that many at first considered to be a big problem). The new characters introduced, including Jena Malone's, while not really that big on screentime and as such easily expendable in the theatrical, are great to see and they help out overall with affecting expanded subplots. Lex is improved upon also, adding a touch of Frank Underwood as well (one of two Fincher homages, may be uninitentional) to his first-act arc with Senator Finch, and the other additions are very interesting too, but may not be for everyone due to the divisive reaction. I liked Eisenberg's take on Lex so to see more of it here was very welcome.

That third act is, for better or worse, weaker than the rest but still enjoyable to watch - probably a case of everything coming before that and the epilogue after being so good. One thing that peeves me, like in the theatrical cut, is how they tried to introduce a third act element in the build up to the big fight, but I guess all of this is something I can live with.

If you liked the theatrical cut on the first go, you'll love this. If you were on the fence/mixed on the theatrical cut primarily because of the execution issues (except runtime - because there are people for whom a 3 hour superhero blockbuster is too much), you'll likely come out enjoying this. If you didn't like the film the first time for more fundamental reasons like Snyder's vision for these characters and the places he's taking them and the overall story? You probably still come out disliking it.

EDIT: one more thing - there was something someone said about the theatrical cut being far too preoccupied with setting up a universe than it own story. Thankfully this cut does the film's own story justice for good (pun may or may not be intended).

8.5/10

-          Antovolk

i legit loled

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

BVS OVER POPSTAR.

HYSDAIOJDF6TDYGHIIEW76TYG8IHOWQETYGGEWQBH I HATE THIS SITE.

Civil War is understandable (not better than Popstar but eh) but EWOEWYTVBHNJMLEWTFYGBHNJWMLKEGTYHWNJQEMKLE.

fucking hell luthor is dong this isnnt he i wi;.k findd thim and terrorize is pussy fuck this site fuck this site gahhh thhis started out so good fuck.

Guys, I think some people on here don't like Batman v Superman idk

Spoiler

Star Trek Beyond

lJzrZ7G.png

3TCmIie.png

One of the biggest flops of the year by far and the movie that will kill Paramount (end CJohn-esque statement). Seriously though, Justin Lin brought his “Family” experience to Star Trek and delivered one of the more fun movies of the year. It is unfortunate that the audience didn’t turn out for it. The movie had some very memorable scenes like the Sabotage scene but was somewhat hamstrung by a weak villain. The focus on the team aspect of Star Trek was on display here though and it was very entertaining.

User reviews:

Thought the movie was really fun! Full of great character stuff and lots of fun action. The cast's chemistry is great in these films, and I really enjoyed the interesting parings they have with them in this. Idris is good as the villain, but the villain could have been more interesting than he is. The twist with him isn't really much of a surprise. Also, you could really see Lin's stamp on the film, but it still felt like the previous two films which was good. The ending was ridiculous, but done in the right way that I thought it was stupid fun. Liked the use of Sabotage because it ties into the first film. Doesn't come close to Star Trek 09, but I thought it was better than Into Darkness which I actually really liked. Probably in my top 3 for the Summer (as far as Wide Released movies go). 

A (92)

-          Empire

I had a lot of fun. As a fan of the series, I was happy to see Bones take a larger role in this movie.

A-

-          Water bottle

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

BVS OVER POPSTAR.

HYSDAIOJDF6TDYGHIIEW76TYG8IHOWQETYGGEWQBH I HATE THIS SITE.

Civil War is understandable (not better than Popstar but eh) but EWOEWYTVBHNJMLEWTFYGBHNJWMLKEGTYHWNJQEMKLE.

fucking hell luthor is dong this isnnt he i wi;.k findd thim and terrorize is pussy fuck this site fuck this site gahhh thhis started out so good fuck.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

fuckign hell fuck you guys i hate all of you.

Eat a snickers That One Guy, you sound like an immature doofus when you're hungry

• Like 4

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Star Trek Beyond

lJzrZ7G.png

3TCmIie.png

One of the biggest flops of the year by far and the movie that will kill Paramount (end CJohn-esque statement). Seriously though, Justin Lin brought his “Family” experience to Star Trek and delivered one of the more fun movies of the year. It is unfortunate that the audience didn’t turn out for it. The movie had some very memorable scenes like the Sabotage scene but was somewhat hamstrung by a weak villain. The focus on the team aspect of Star Trek was on display here though and it was very entertaining.

User reviews:

Thought the movie was really fun! Full of great character stuff and lots of fun action. The cast's chemistry is great in these films, and I really enjoyed the interesting parings they have with them in this. Idris is good as the villain, but the villain could have been more interesting than he is. The twist with him isn't really much of a surprise. Also, you could really see Lin's stamp on the film, but it still felt like the previous two films which was good. The ending was ridiculous, but done in the right way that I thought it was stupid fun. Liked the use of Sabotage because it ties into the first film. Doesn't come close to Star Trek 09, but I thought it was better than Into Darkness which I actually really liked. Probably in my top 3 for the Summer (as far as Wide Released movies go). 

A (92)

-          Empire

I had a lot of fun. As a fan of the series, I was happy to see Bones take a larger role in this movie.

A-

-          Water bottle

The Prayer Circle Triumphant

@MrPink @Sam @WrathOfHan

• Like 10

Just now, That One Guy said:

fuckign hell fuck you guys i hate all of you.

What are you talking about? This is the best thing since Man of Steel made literally every single possible list in 2013. (Best, worst, most over and under rated, best modern films that encapsulate Eisenstein's theories. You name it, MoS made that list.) 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Star Trek Beyond

lJzrZ7G.png

3TCmIie.png

User reviews:

A (92)

-          Empire

A-

-          Water bottle

Another in the C+/B- file.  The start was really good and then it just degenerated into a ST TV episode when they hit the planet - and looked like one too..

• Like 2

And here are numbers 166 thru 190

166 Hello, My Name is Doris
167 Henry Gamble's Birthday Party
168 Inferno
169 King Dave
170 Life, Animated
171 Louder than Bombs
172 Masterminds
173 Miss Sloane
174 National Parks Adventure
175 Southside with You