Jayhawk the Hutt

It Comes at Night | June 9, 2017 | A24 | Teaser in First Post

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Do you consider Rosemary's Baby in the realm of horror? I've always felt that it's a pretty big umbrella for that genre. Only one person dies in Rosemary's Baby and she commits suicide and we only see the aftermath.

And, she does strange her dog to death in a fit a rage in Babadook. But, yeah, no one dies.

Rosemary's Baby was intense...and it was about the Devil.....Babadook is about someone with mental issues.  She.....I don't want to say too much for those who might not have seen it, but hey, it's been out for a few years now....RB is tense and scary because of the subject matter, Babadook didn't frighten me at all.  That takes all the horror out of it.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Rosemary's Baby was intense...and it was about the Devil.....Babadook is about someone with mental issues.  She.....I don't want to say too much for those who might not have seen it, but hey, it's been out for a few years now....RB is tense and scary because of the subject matter, Babadook didn't frighten me at all.  That takes all the horror out of it.

Spoiler

Tend to be the other way around for me, if it is about magic/surnatural stuff like the Devil, hard to get horrified by it, a bit of a passive spectacle, the idea of a mother with mental issue killing her child was horrifying to me, because is was anchored in something real.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Hide contents

Tend to be the other way around for me, if it is about magic/surnatural stuff like the Devil, hard to get horrified by it, a bit of a passive spectacle, the idea of a mother with mental issue killing her child was horrifying to me, because is was anchored in something real.

See, and that's fine.  We all have our fears and we all enjoy different things.  I was bored and agitated with Baba....I tend to like the slasher film, and Paranormals and Blair Witches and shark attacks and haunted houses....something with real threats.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

See, and that's fine.  We all have our fears and we all enjoy different things.  I was bored and agitated with Baba....I tend to like the slasher film, and Paranormals and Blair Witches and shark attacks and haunted houses....something with real threats.  

Loved Blair Witches too (the fact the movie never show anything paranormal happening was maybe part of it)

I think the US versus rest of the world could be in play there too, religious theme horror probably is more terrifying in religious place/time (say the Exorcist being considered really scary, not to me, would probably be more if I was a believer in those stuff)

• Like 1

It's interesting, you are in Canada, as am I, and both of us didn't find the Exorcist scary in the least.....and yet I know people who can't watch it again because it terrified the hell out of them.

3 hours ago, The Stingray said:

This looks right up my alley. A horror movie that seems to favor mood and tension over cheap-ass jump scares.

And yet we agree on many horror films.  

9 hours ago, baumer said:

Babadook isn't horror.  It's not scary, no one dies and no one is in peril.  Babadook is the kind of horror film that critics love and audiences give the finger to.  

I couldn't disagree more. Babadook is one of the few movies that made me feel bad after watching it. One of the few movies that left me sleepless. You not enjoying the movie doesn't make it less scary. The horror genre is the most subjective genre of cinema, something that frightens one person, it may not frighten another, the only thing that connects these films is the reflexive force that they carry within their narratives, Horror is a genre that rely on metaphors to scary the audience, and in this aspect, Babadook is one of the scariest films of the genre.

• Like 2

I would love to see this breaking out. Last summer, we had five movies breaking out, while this year, the only ones with potential is this and Annabelle 2. We need more Horror movies making success, it's the only genre that keep producing original movies constantly.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I couldn't disagree more. Babadook is one of the few movies that made me feel bad after watching it. One of the few movies that left me sleepless. You not enjoying the movie doesn't make it less scary. The horror genre is the most subjective genre of cinema, something that frightens one person, it may not frighten another, the only thing that connects these films is the reflexive force that they carry within their narratives, Horror is a genre that rely on metaphors to scary the audience, and in this aspect, Babadook is one of the scariest films of the genre.

Babadook is a horrible, horrible, horrible film with no redeeming qualities to it.  I hate that film film almost as much as I despise Citizen Kane.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I found episodes of Sesame Street, with the Count, scarier than Bbadook.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

double toasted gave this a decent review but also said it's not really a horror film and that it's slow. lord this one's gonna piss people off.

My mom might like this one then lol.

Can't wait for that C- CinemaScore and 50% RT audience score.  gonna be fun.