Jayhawk the Hutt

It Comes at Night | June 9, 2017 | A24 | Teaser in First Post

On 6/6/2017 at 8:56 AM, baumer said:

Babadook isn't horror.  It's not scary, no one dies and no one is in peril.  Babadook is the kind of horror film that critics love and audiences give the finger to.  

I would highly disagree that no one was in peril, the Mom was going through grief and depression, I'd say that is peril. Also that put the son in harms way. 

Audience approval right now is at 50%. So I'm definitely feeling one of those stupid ridiculous psychological horror films that really isn't horrific in any way. Oh well I'm crossing my fingers.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Audience approval right now is at 50%. So I'm definitely feeling one of those stupid ridiculous psychological horror films that really isn't horrific in any way. Oh well I'm crossing my fingers.

You won't like this... At all.

Phenomenal acting. Very sparse post apocalyptic paranoia thriller. Says things that've been said before. Brutal finale. The audience I saw this with did not like it. I liked it but I didn't love it. But, the best moments and overall depravity of it elevated it to B+/B for me.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

What confuses me with your disdain for The Babadook, baumer, is that you seem to dislike the marketing of the movie more than you actually dislike the movie. As in, if it was marketed as a psychological thriller about mental psychosis and depression, you wouldn't be able to criticize it for not being a horror film.

Because Babadook wasnt scary.

Be honest with your movie. Dont lie to get people to come and see it.

As for It comes at night it was f****** horrible. Another movie that lied to get me into the movie theater. Answer me this... what the hell is it that comes at night? There was nothing scary about this and I sat in the movie theater Waiting for the horrifying parts to show up. I hate it when they do this. If you're not confident that you can sell your movie based on what its really about then why make the f****** thing in the first place?

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Because Babadook wasnt scary.

Be honest with your movie. Dont lie to get people to come and see it.

As for It comes at night it was f****** horrible. Another movie that lied to get me into the movie theater. Answer me this... what the hell is it that comes at night? There was nothing scary about this and I sat in the movie theater Waiting for the horrifying parts to show up. I hate it when they do this. If you're not confident that you can sell your movie based on what its really about then why make the f****** thing in the first place?

There is now a 100% chance I'm gonna love this.  Thanks for reporting back, Baumer!

• Like 3

The movies and the people who made the movies didn't lie to you.  The studio and marketing did which most creators have zero control over. 

Just a glance at review blurbs on RT and many are referring to it as a bleak psychological thriller and not something to appeal to hardcore horror fans.

• Like 3

My suggestion to you is pay your $10 then go out into the lobby and sit there and read a book for 80 minutes. Then go into the movie theater for the last 10 and that is all you will need to see because nothing happens before the last 10 minutes in the movie.

• Like 1