CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Release date kind of sucks. September is already filled with adult targeted films and this one is the least accessible one. Same weekend as Rambo doesn't help either. Fox would be having a terrible year if Disney hadn't bought them up.

Ad Astra isn't just on the same weekend as Rambo. It's also on the same weekend of Downton Abbey, which is already beating pre-sales expectations.

Edited by SLAM!

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

James Grey is the master of making mildly divisive and overlooked movies that end up on all the best-of-that-year retrospectives five or ten years on. Seems like he's done it again!

The closing shot in The Immigrant >>>>>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good for Pitt. He knows how to pick his movies/directors. Even tho i didn't like The Lost City of Z, it had raves too. James Gray is someone critics like more than the public. But Pitt is savvy. This is his year. Give him the oscar now

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

But he doesn't talk about any reshoots. Many directors would love to keep tinkering with their films. But there seem to be major changes. For example from what I know, Liv Tyler's character was not in the test screenings. 

Re-shoots haven't been reported.  Tyler could have been in an earlier cuts, taken out for some test screenings then put back in.   Grey as the anti-Malick. :rock:

First of all, I'm glad that the reviews are so good :). After several twitter quotations here and on other websites I was pretty discouraged.

Secondly, it seems that the audience reactions are fine too (my bigger worry was that the audience could treat it like First Man).
Which leads me to the deadline numbers: Why shouldn't the weeekend overall become big (including Downtown Abbey overperforming)? With a good reception both from critics and people why should Ad Astra stay under 20M? It's a space movie with B. Pitt which is reported to be "moving, deeply personal and thrilling" (The Playlist and The Film Stage) - exactly which I feared it would not be. First Man was critized for being too cold. Ad Astra will also get a lot of IMAX theaters...

Some members mentioned the perhaps unfavorable release date. It's adult-targeted yes, but OTOH most other September films' target audience are female moviegoers e.g. in the case of Downtown Abbey, The Hustle, The Goldfinch (correct me if I'm wrong). And Abominable is mainly for families with kids. But Ad Astra could be a film for both genders and not all men will plan to see Rambo (I admit that I like that number). Or they see one film on one weekend and the other one later, the month is not overcrowded in that regard, not at all (since The Hunt vanished and 21 Bridges got another release date).
I'm more optimistic now when it comes to the hit potential of Ad Astra.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, el sid said:

Secondly, it seems that the audience reactions are fine too (my bigger worry was that the audience could treat it like First Man).
Which leads me to the deadline numbers: Why shouldn't the weeekend overall become big (including Downtown Abbey overperforming)? With a good reception both from critics and people why should Ad Astra stay under 20M? It's a space movie with B. Pitt which is reported to be "moving, deeply personal and thrilling" (The Playlist and The Film Stage) - exactly which I feared it would not be. First Man was critized for being too cold. Ad Astra will also get a lot of IMAX theaters...

The movie isn't open to general audience yet though. People who watch movies at Venice film fest aren't general audiences. Plus I'm pretty sure critics also found First Man "moving, deeply personal, and thrilling" (I mean so did I) but audiences didn't. Critics seem to be finding this movie moving the same way a Terrence Malick movie is and the last time Malick made a GA friendly movie was never. This movie really isn't going to be GA friendly and if you read the reviews (instead of just looking at buzz words), you would understand why.

Expecting a James Gray movie to be GA friendly is only going to set you up for disappointment.

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The movie isn't open to general audience yet though. People who watch movies at Venice film fest aren't general audiences. Plus I'm pretty sure critics also found First Man "moving, deeply personal, and thrilling" (I mean so did I) but audiences didn't. Critics seem to be finding this movie moving the same way a Terrence Malick movie is and the last time Malick made a GA friendly movie was never. This movie really isn't going to be GA friendly and if you read the reviews (instead of just looking at buzz words), you would understand why.

Expecting a James Gray movie to be GA friendly is only going to set you up for disappointment.

I see what you mean. I really looked only for catchphrases and was surprised. Sounded good in my eyes. But I'm no James Gray expert. I only thought that a movie with a high budget would automatically want to please the GA more than it was probably the case with other films of that director.
PS: I'm a person with a pretty average taste and I'm looking forward to that film (and I was a bit disappointed in the trailers for First Man).

Edited by el sid

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Days of Heaven?

13 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

The box office hasn't been kind to ambitious science-fiction in recent years, but this looks very promising.

Arrival made $100M+ three years ago even if it had Oscar buzz to help carry it that far. This won't do amazing business or anything but with Pitt's starpower (especially coming off of OUATIH) it should still manage $60-70M before enjoying a nice long home video afterlife.

Either way, extremely excited to see this.

• Like 1