CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Interstellar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gravity. 

They're both two of the best of the decade. Unfortunately for Ad Astra, Gravity was much more aud friendly and Interstellar had Nolan's name and McConaughey at his peak. 

8 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

They're both two of the best of the decade. Unfortunately for Ad Astra, Gravity was much more aud friendly and Interstellar had Nolan's name and McConaughey at his peak. 

I know they're both great. I was being tongue in cheek and mimicking shayhiri.

It doesn't really matter because like you said this isn't going to come near either film. 

36 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

MORE LIKE RAD MASTRAPIECE

You seen it?

I was really looking forward to my showing this evening... but my mate needs a favour from me :(  so will have to wait until the weekend now :(:(:( or next week

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You seen it?

I was really looking forward to my showing this evening... but my mate needs a favour from me :(  so will have to wait until the weekend now :(:(:( or next week

bummer. i might see it again sometime in next week. this is the first movie of the year where i got that "i immediately wanna see this again" feeling. i've got one little nitpick with the ending but otherwise i thought it was perfect.

• Like 4

I thought this was okay, I prefered the first hour over what they tried to do at the end, it kinda felt anti-climatic (i know what they set up but idk where my expectations went lol, maybe they were going for something more ambitious?). Brad Pitt was really good though and his inner monologues carried the film imo. 

I noticed the similarities to Gravity in certain parts but the camera work & direction was a bit lacking when you compare it Cuaron. I liked the score as well. I'd give it 7/10

It's a very tense, mysterious, and eerie film with a strong performance from Pitt and absolutely stunning visuals. I felt the movie was well paced for the first two acts, but the tonal shift in the last act was too abrupt and so the emotion in the film falls flat on its face. It's a shame because the mysterious and unpredictable tone of the first two acts was what made it so compelling.

Everyone should watch it...it's an interesting film. It's every bit as visually stunning as Interstellar and Gravity, but it sorely lacks the emotion (and that wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the third act). The first two acts felt so Kubrick and 2001 to me.

WTF was up with those apes?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It's a very tense, mysterious, and eerie film with a strong performance from Pitt and absolutely stunning visuals. I felt the movie was well paced for the first two acts, but the tonal shift in the last act was too abrupt and so the emotion in the film falls flat on its face. It's a shame because the mysterious and unpredictable tone of the first two acts was what made it so compelling.

Everyone should watch it...it's an interesting film. It's every bit as visually stunning as Interstellar and Gravity, but it sorely lacks the emotion (and that wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the third act). The first two acts felt so Kubrick and 2001 to me.

Hide contents

WTF was up with those apes?!

Spoiler

the opening shot with the sun too! reminded me of 2001

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The first two acts felt so Kubrick and 2001 to me.

Hm, maybe the Shay is really off here - but I always considered Kubrick to be extremely cold. That's why I never liked him - and dislike Nolan and Villeneuve (especially) when then try to imitate this coldness.

Take a look at Ad Astra's latest trailer: Pitt riding the rover, raising his hand to feel the dancing moon dust!! That is the opposite of cold, this is the style I like and use - that detail alone shows this movie could never be like Kubrick.

14 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Hm, maybe the Shay is really off here - but I always considered Kubrick to be extremely cold. That's why I never liked him - and dislike Nolan and Villeneuve (especially) when then try to imitate this coldness.

Take a look at Ad Astra's latest trailer: Pitt riding the rover, raising his hand to feel the dancing moon dust!! That is the opposite of cold, this is the style I like and use - that detail alone shows this movie could never be like Kubrick.

Nolan isn't cold. Have you seen Interstellar? lol

To cut a long story short, when you do a space movie :

ask questions about the mysteries of life and the universe, be mysterious about it.

but

never dare to give answers because people just don't like that. 

Bent it like Kubrick.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 2