CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

i've always thought that because Nolan sort of botched the romance in the batman films, therefore when he killed off maggie gyllenhaal it didn't have the impact it should've, is where the accusations that he's "cold" comes from. because otherwise i don't see it in the rest of his filmography. Inception had a lot of people calling it cold but i didn't really see it there either, the ending of cillian murphy's arc with his dream dad couldn't be more sentimental and it's great. 

and the emotions in this worked for me in a big way despite them being somewhat muted (due to the nature of Pitt's performance probably). the themes of it are very relatable to me.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've always thought that because Nolan sort of botched the romance in the batman films, therefore when he killed off maggie gyllenhaal it didn't have the impact it should've, is where the accusations that he's "cold" comes from. because otherwise i don't see it in the rest of his filmography. Inception had a lot of people calling it cold but i didn't really see it there either, the ending of cillian murphy's arc with his dream dad couldn't be more sentimental and it's great. 

and the emotions in this worked for me in a big way despite them being somewhat muted (due to the nature of Pitt's performance probably). the themes of it are very relatable to me.

I agree with what you said...especially about Inception.

To your bolded part...

the themes are definitely relatable but I found it so bizarre when one of the first things Roy's dad says is that he was happy to leave him and his mom. Like what? THAT? And then three minutes later he says he wishes they worked together and that they were a dying breed...so much whiplash.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

To your bolded part...

Hide contents

the themes are definitely relatable but I found it so bizarre when one of the first things Roy's dad says is that he was happy to leave him and his mom. Like what? THAT? And then three minutes later he says he wishes they worked together and that they were a dying breed...so much whiplash.

Spoiler

he abandoned his family when Roy was 16, he's an unsentimental dude who'd rather chase glory in space than hang out with his family, at that point he couldn't possibly have known that his son would grow up to be almost exactly like him in a lot of ways. The fact that Pitt went to Neptune by himself impressed him a lot and it's only then he sees him as a similar "complete the mission at all costs" type of guy. Keep in mind at this point TLJ is also totally delusional, havingessentially killed his whole crew.he doesn't want to admit that the mission would've been a "failure" no matter what until the very end, so he comes up with the excuse "man if i had someone like you around this all would've gone great!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Nolan isn't cold. Have you seen Interstellar? lol

What popular mainstream Hollywood filmmaker would you put on the cold side of the hot-cold divide if not Nolan ?

From the place love stories take in is filmography, is protagonist personality, is general humor, to is color palette/production design, how cerebral and on the nose exposition via dialogue he can be, how a death wife seem to often be a plot device, how much energy is put on the "technical" storytelling device he often develop in is new project,  he seem on that more cerebral and cold side in every way.

Not that he is incapable too on both aspect, Interstellar is very high on emotional moment (and use of music) for sure, but it will show a father never talking again to is son and wanting to look is grand children without finding it odd at all, Dunkirk let go of the making sure everyone get everything explained via cerebral dialogue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

To your bolded part...

Reveal hidden contents

It's a very poorly-written role, IMO. There's absolutely no subtext to anything, and the whiplash is absolutely there. 

Anyhoo, I basically agree with everything you say (shock! surprise!) but I think you might've like it more overall than me.

• Like 1

Hopefully this is not like "Sunshine", where they tried to do a off beat, more cereberal Sci Fi film for the first two thirds, but then blew it in the ninth inning by bringing in a WTF out of nowhere Monster on the rampage plotline in the last third to try to juice it up for the box office....

And the trailers I have been seeing on TV are selling it as a conventional Sci Fi adventure, so you might have a disconnect between what people are being sold and what the film is. That might have a negative impact on WOM. People have a tendacy to not like 
bait and switch. It might be really good fish, but if I was expecting a steak I am going to have some resentement.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

38 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Hopefully this is not like "Sunshine", where they tried to do a off beat, more cereberal Sci Fi film for the first two thirds, but then blew it in the ninth inning by bringing in a WTF out of nowhere Monster on the rampage plotline in the last third to try to juice it up for the box office....

SUNSHINE is much better, IMO. Though no, that's not really the issue with the third act. (And, to be fair, it appears some people like the third act.)

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And the trailers I have been seeing on TV are selling it as a conventional Sci Fi adventure, so you might have a disconnect between what people are being sold and what the film is. That might have a negative impact on WOM. People have a tendacy to not like 
bait and switch. It might be really good fish, but if I was expecting a steak I am going to have some resentement.

Well said, and I agree completely. 

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It's a very poorly-written role, IMO. There's absolutely no subtext to anything, and the whiplash is absolutely there. 

Anyhoo, I basically agree with everything you say (shock! surprise!) but I think you might've like it more overall than me.

Dp4wAeWU4AAsXFb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's not a bait and switch movie. pretty much what you see in the trailers is what you get.

And what if I haven't seen the trailers? Will I be bait and switched?

Only 6 hours until I leave work and go watch this :excited: