CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The problem is it’s not set up as being some kind retro alternative universe.

Erm, alternative to what, Dee?

You know humans never really traveled in space (beyond orbit) - nor we will, in a long time. So there are no retro spacecrafts - nor any real working ones yet, we'll see. Based on that, Gray is free to chose any form he likes - it will be believable by default.

Basing the look of his tech on the old NASA Apollo movies from the early 70ies is actually a great decision. Those movies didn't look very well, because of the state of cinema technology at the time - but definitely generate enormous amount of nostalgia and ingrained longing in anyone (even in woke cynics like the Shay) - because of the devious marketing presenting them as real events and twisting the imaginations of whole generations. So Gray is wise to try and tap into that.

That is actually the main reason I want to see this so much. I want to see the NASA Moon fantasy - but remade with today's cinema tools. I bet it looks good - and the fake nostalgia (but still very strong) does the rest.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

I feel like every movie that is considered "unconventional" these days is compared to being the next mother! when the reality is that people walked out on that movie in high numbers and drove it to an F CS grade because it physically shocked and repulsed them in a way few movies are capable of, not because it was different from what usually graces multiplex screens.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

43 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, it doesn’t. Both things don’t. But if it didn’t bother you, that’s fine.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I talked about it with the people I watched it with who thought the same thing but if the only force being applied is the thrust force from Pitt's character jumping and propelling motion of the thing he jumped from then there is no opposing force to decelerate him because space is a vacuum. He would be moving in a straight line at a constant velocity. The only thing that could decelerate him are the ice rocks and they probably don't have a large enough mass for it to be substantial. 

Edited by lorddemaxus