CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not surprised though, they're selling this like an action space movie, which is not the case, so people must be frustrated 

Got to admit, as much I personally enjoyed it, there were a lot of restless people in my audience that we’re clearly expecting a different style of film. It’s very much Apocalypse Now in space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I talked about it with the people I watched it with who thought the same thing but if the only force being applied is the thrust force from Pitt's character jumping and propelling motion of the thing he jumped from then there is no opposing force to decelerate him because space is a vacuum. He would be moving in a straight line at a constant velocity. The only thing that could decelerate him are the ice rocks and they probably don't have a large enough mass for it to be substantial. 

Pitt’s thrust isn’t a big deal. The rings are shown to be waaaaay too dense (it’s dust scattered across thousands of kilometers but sure, dramatic tension). I’m a little bothered that the impacts shown would’ve knocked him off course and/or slowed his momentum, but again, dramatic license. The way the movie deals with orbits seems insanely cavalier and wonky to me (and also how they dealt with the location of the station), but again, it’s a bunch of minor annoyances. 

My bigger bugaboo is him using the shock wave from the nuclear explosion (!) to hyper-accelerate the ship (!!!). No no no no no. :rofl: That moment is just a capper on how incredibly goofy (and again cavalier) they are with how the ships travel, and what bums me out is there are all sorts of interesting (and more realistic) things they could’ve done that would’ve increased the drama AND the emotion.

But none of this would’ve bugged me as much if I had been totally emotionally connected with Pitt and his arc. I mean, heck, ARMAGEDDON depicts physics terribly (for the most part) but I still got caught up in Bruce Willis’ final moments.

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Got to admit, as much I personally enjoyed it, there were a lot of restless people in my audience that we’re clearly expecting a different style of film. It’s very much Apocalypse Now in space.

"There are things in life that one simply never gets out of one's mind, and one has to start somewhere."
–E.E. Cummings

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

But none of this would’ve bugged me as much if I had been totally emotionally connected with Pitt and his arc. I mean, heck, ARMAGEDDON depicts physics terribly (for the most part) but I still got caught up in Bruce Willis’ final moments.

Tele, I doubt you've noticed -- but you just put Bay above Gray...

Is there no end to your bottomless descent into self-conscious madness??

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

How is that bad?

How is that bad? That is one of the best pitches I've ever heard! The Shay hears "Apocalypse Now in space" - he says "I'll reserve the whole theatre on opening night!".

8 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The Horror! The Horror!

Wish somebody would do a good film of Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" in it's original setting . They did a TV version but it was not very good.

3 hours ago, Morieris said:

"Unconventional" pfft, how, because it wasn't 100% rollicking action in space?

The climax was one big thud to me, which is an insane pity considering how good the actual plot and ideas are.

So it IS another "Sunshine" great first two thirds, but blows it in the ninth.

It's close but right now it's coming in second Behind Downton Abbey.

Which surprises me, I really thought Rambo would have an easy win for the weekend.

Edited by dudalb
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

So it IS another "Sunshine" great first two thirds, but blows it in the ninth.

i mean there were a few people that told you it wasn't but i guess you just waited for the post that gave you what you wanted to hear.👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1