CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I would be interested in seeing a studio experiment with something like that, though. I've always felt trailers are kind of overrated as marketing materials

Closest I think we've come is Silence, don't think had a trailer released until a few weeks before it came out?

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Closest I think we've come is Silence, don't think had a trailer released until a few weeks before it came out?

Published on Nov 22, 2016

USA 23 December 2016 (limited)

USA 13 January 2017

Remember being a strange release yes.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:
Published on Nov 22, 2016

USA 23 December 2016 (limited)

USA 13 January 2017

Remember being a strange release yes.

My Silence showing was hilarious, an audience member nearly entered coma, he was snoring so loudly ...

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

My Silence showing was hilarious, an audience member nearly entered coma, he was snoring so loudly ...

Considering how few people actually Silence in theaters (including yours truly), I find it hard to believe that you were one of the people who made the trek.

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I would be interested in seeing a studio experiment with something like that, though. I've always felt trailers are kind of overrated as marketing materials

Sure but do it with something like Endgame or an Avatar sequel where massive grosses are guaranteed anyway. Movies like this need the awareness. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Considering how few people actually Silence in theaters (including yours truly), I find it hard to believe that you were one of the people who made the trek.

Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes.

Edited by The Futurist

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Happened to me during Skyfall and there was a feeling everyone thought, lucky let him sleep.

My Silence showing had also a funny moment, when the generic started someone said a bit too loudly "finally" or something of the sort and everyone chuckled a little bit.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Complaining online about movies is a giant part of Futurist life, worth investing time and money to do it,

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

16 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, I don't really know where would be a good spot to put AD Astra. It really depends on the quality I guess, or when it's even going to be ready to go. If Disney has low expectations for it and it's ready in time, may as well just drop it on Labor Day weekend, which currently has no wide releases slated.

it's going to depend on whether or not Disney thinks it has award winning potential. Don't forget Fox was giving it the "Oscar Bait limited Christmas/wide in January" release treatment last December.

Not sure about it's box office potential. I like the director, but does not seem like the kind of Sci Fi film that can draw huge audiences. Although there are exceptions like "The Martian" generally "hard" serious Sci Fi is a much harder sell then " then "Space Opera" type sci fi.
if The Mouse thinks it will be a serious awards contender then a late fall release would be better then a Labor Day release. December release might be out because ,ironically, it would be crushed by another Disney release, "Last Jedi".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1