CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

So it's a Christmas day wide release! That's decent! That at least removes it from the blockbuster onslaught eleven days prior. If it's anything special, it can have a Shape of Water style run throughout January.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

If this is going wide on Christmas, eek. Alita will probably move in that situation. 

Nah, Alita will stay where it is.  No need to open agains both another Sci fi film and The Nanny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

So it's a Christmas day wide release! That's decent! That at least removes it from the blockbuster onslaught eleven days prior. If it's anything special, it can have a Shape of Water style run throughout January.

But it's opening righr up against Mary Poppins Returns, this season's 500 pound gorilla.

And the onslaught (Aquaman,Alita,Bumblebee) is Dec 21st, which is just four days away.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They’re two movies in the same genre released by the same studio. Alita is gonna move

Sorry, I though you said that Alita would be moving to Christmas day, which would be insane even it was not the same studio.

ALita would be smart to just move to Feb or March.

There is going to be a lot of blood on the floor this December. Yes, the Holidays are much more friendly to multiple runs then the rest of the year, but so many films are opering so close together that they are going to be some severe  casualties.

Everybody saw how well Jumanji did last year, so they all want that lucrative spot,creating a traffic jam.

Edited by dudalb

FOr a studio to release two big films with similar themes aimed at exactly the same demo just four days apart makes no sense whatsoever.

Even if it were two different studios, it would be a very questionable strategy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I find it much more believable that this'll be another Revenant/Hidden Figures/Post situation. 

That's exactly what I'm expecting too... it was previously announced wide for January 11th.  The interview with Kennedy says nothing about it going wide on Christmas, just that it'll be in theaters then.  Sounds like a two-week limited qualifying run into a January wide release like Fox has done in the past.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spectre said:

That's exactly what I'm expecting too... it was previously announced wide for January 11th.  The interview with Kennedy says nothing about it going wide on Christmas, just that it'll be in theaters then.  Sounds like a two-week limited qualifying run into a January wide release like Fox has done in the past.

That makes more sense....though even than releasing two big budget space epics so close to each other is quiestionable, Jan 11th is still pretty damn

close for two films with such similar themes and exactly the same demo.

I would not be surprised that even if Ad Astra is a limited release, Alita gets moved.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Yeah, James Gray is always up for some epic shit.

Scope of Lost City was quite epic story over many decades, different continents, etc...

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, The Futurist said:

James Gray and epic are an oxymoron I am sorry to announce.

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Yeah, James Gray is always up for some epic shit.

oh, he's picked his one post for this thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Either one of two things are true:

1) Execs at Fox are insane

2) Alita won't be ready by December and this gives them cover to move the release

Do they need cover to move the release of Alita? They didn't last time

53 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

We still don't know just how big-budget or epic this is gonna be. We do know it's a James Gray movie, though, but I guess there's only like four people here who've seen any of his work. 

Lost City of Z sold me on him as a director.  unfortunately haven't seen any of his work but I'll try to get around to them.

• Like 1