Numbers' Numerical Numbering: Vol. III, A 2016 Top 50 (COUNTDOWN COMPLETE)

Hints for 30-26:

30- Hope they got some miles out of it

29- Avoid this route for your commute

28- Includes someone with a similar smell to sulfur

27- Featuring music for Trumpers

26- The Man Who Sunk the Unsinkable

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Pink and I have a more core alliance than that.

Don't be too presumptuous. I thought the same, and then he went off on me over freaking Lego Movie of all things :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

Don't be too presumptuous. I thought the same, and then he went off on me over freaking Lego Movie of all things :(

Our alliance has its roots in the RPG world, so harder to be broken.

Though in a month it may be tested.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

How many films did you see?

I want to know how disappointed I should be by some of the films I've seen appearing :) 

I don't recall the exact number.

But I generally do a good job of avoiding movies I know or strongly suspect will be bad or that I'll dislike.

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Called it! That was a great documentary though. I still feel awful for Huma.

• Like 2

Spoiler

HO00003875.jpg

Directed By: Clint Eastwood

Starring: Tom Hanks, Aaron Eckhart

Domestic Release Date: September 9, 2016

Along with everyone else on the forum, my reaction when I first heard about this movie was "how the heck will they make a feature-length film out of this?" Turns, out, Ol' Man Clint found out how, by structuring it as layered flashbacks and re-runs circling around the dynamic event as the events of what happened are slowly revealed to the audience until we get the full picture. Tom Hanks is in full-on All-American James Stewart hero mode as the guy who in the face of a total, monumental catastrophe proved unflappable and able to get everyone home alive. The film rides the NTSB too hard as fictional antagonists, and certainly reduces Laura Linney to the concerned telephone caller role, but it's a tightly-paced, well-executed drama with a centerpiece that'll keep you on the edge of your seat even though you know everyone makes it out ok in the end.

• Like 5

Spoiler

busanhaeng.jpg

Directed by: Yeon Sang-ho

Starring: Gong Yoo, Ma Dong-seok, Jung Yu-mi, Kim Su-an

Domestic Release Date: July 22 2016

I was clued into this film by a few members of the forum around the end of the year and boy am I glad I paid attention to them. Yeah the zombie craze is getting a bit worn thin by now, but the film helps keep it fresh and energetic by staging almost all of the film on a barrelling train with limited opportunities to hide or escape. The film does ultimately engage in a bit of the usual human beings can be just as terrible monsters with Over-The-Top Businessman singlehandedly ruining everyone's day with his selfish hysterics, but I can forgive that cliche with how inventive some of the setpieces are. Plus, the film establishes clear rules for its zombies and sticks to them, resulting in a couple incredibly intense scenes as the train hurtles through dark tunnels. A special shout out goes to Ma Dong-seok, aka Blue Blazer Guy, who I think after this film takes the crown of Zombie Movie Badass MVP. Whereas everyone around him freaks out and gets others killed, Blue Blazer Guy nonchalantly gets shit done and almost defeats the movie on his own.

• Like 8

Spoiler

hunt_for_the_wilderpeople_ver3.jpg

Directed By: Taika Waititi

Starring: Sam Neill, Julian Dennison, Rachel House

Domestic Release Date: June 24, 2016

Ok, ok, before you get your knives out, let me explain. I had a lot of fun with this movie, and I for much of it had a smile on my face. The interactions between Neill and Dennison are great, Rachel House is wonderfully absurdly gung-ho Rambo, the quirkyness is endearing without being annoying, and there's so much GIF-worthy bits packed into its running time. So why so low? Honestly, the boar scene where Sam Neill's dog is mortally wounded and he Old Yeller's it. Felt like a gigantic tonal sore thumb that brought the movie to a halt and took me out of it. Felt way too awkwardly forced in to try and give some extra sad drama (as if losing Aunt Bella wasn't enough) and there's not much reflection on it afterwards. The film moves on almost like it never happened. So yeah, the scene didn't work at all for me and it kinda drug down the rest of the film with it a bit. Shame too, because otherwise this was shaping up to be an adventure comedy blast.

Sorry AA.

• Like 7

Spoiler

gr_web.jpg

Directed By: Jeremy Saulnier

Starring: Anton Yelchin, Patrick Stewart, Imogen Poots

Domestic Release Date: April 15, 2016

Next up comes a small indie thriller set in the backwoods of the Pacific Northwest, where there's a lot more of the alt-Right than you would think. Patrick Stewart gives a wonderfully evil performance as the leader of a band of skinheads who tries to orchestrate the careful murder and framing of a punk rock band that accidentally stumbles upon a murder in the green room of a his Neo-Nazi club. We get a tense potboiler of the movie as the band is slowly whittled down one by one as they try to figure out how to escape while the bad guys try to figure out how to get to them without leaving too much of a mess and evidence for the eventual police investigation. It's an effective and tense little movie that'll have you on the edge of your seat, driving you through the visceral energy even if none of the characters ever really gets much development.

• Like 7

Spoiler

#25a

deepwater_horizon_ver10.jpg

Directed By: Peter Berg

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Kurt Russell, John Malkovich, Gina Rodriguez, Kate Hudson

Domestic Release Date: September 30, 2016

Part one of our Bergian Real Life Dad Movie tiebreaker is the true story telling of the devastating oil platform disaster that would wreak havoc along the entire US Gulf Coast. The film is very much a study of two parts, the first half unfolding like a slow-cooking procedural, patiently and methodically moving all of the pieces into place and step by step increasing the tension until we get our literal eruption and explosion. The second half becomes a pulse-pounding hell on earth survival flick as the characters struggle to survive increasingly dangerous and hostile circumstances as the oil rig goes up in flames round them. Mark Wahlberg is solid as a rock as the main character and the rest of the ensemble acquits themselves well. Film could have used some fine-tuning here and there and maybe a little more character growth to make some of the emotional beats earned, but man the film shows every cent of its budget on the screen.

#25b

patriots-day-poster-11.jpg

Directed By: Peter Berg

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Kevin Bacon, John Goodman, J.K. Simmons, Michelle Monaghan

Domestic Release Date: December 21, 2016

Part Two of our Bergian Real Life Dad Movie Tiebreaker is the retelling of the Boston Marathon bombing and the massive manhunt for those responsible. The film is staged kind of as a halfway house between a docudrama a la United 93 and a ticking clock crime thriller and for the most part the setup works pretty well. Mark Wahlberg does yeoman's work as a fictional composite of several real life people that allows the film to insert him into all of the key moments and events and help push the plot along. The rest of the ensemble cast does pretty well, though like Deepwater Horizon, Michelle Monaghan is mostly kept to the side as the concerned spouse. The buildup to the bombing itself and the immediate aftermath is gripping, even if it does feel like the movie came a couple years too soon. Still, the film never feels like it is callously exploiting events and the most emotional beats do feel earned and heartfelt.

Peter Berg, for good or ill, seems to have found his genre niche and his acting muse, and if he can continue to churn out movies like these two, then I think he'll be doing alright.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Sam said:

13 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Our alliance has its roots in the RPG world, so harder to be broken.

Though in a month it may be tested.

We are all in firm standing right now. John Wick 2 :cloud9:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2